What's new

Locutus73

Student
Reaction score
Hi to all folks.
I’m a long time lurker… I always enjoyed Neo Geo and retrogaming in general through emulators, but recently the hardware bug is getting stronger in me. I’m enjoying some FPGA hardware emulation through MiSTer and Super NT and I’m making my mind up a consolized MVS.

I’m considering 4 options now:
  1. Xian Xi’s "OMF" Consolized 1 Slot MVS (Jamma Nation X) – PROS: It’s technically unexceptionable with its last UNIBIOS and DFO mod (I would use no encoders, just plain RGB through OSSC) and it’s cheap (perfect combo) – CONS: I don’t like the panda looking case, it would be shipped from USA risking custom fees (I’m in Italy) and he will reopen preorders in June/July... but I want it noooow
  2. Ocelete’s AppleTV style CMVS – PROS: it’s gorgeous, I really love its style, it would be shipped from Europe – CONS: IF and WHEN he will sell one
  3. Analogune CMVS Slim – PROS: I like the black wood case and it’s available right now in Europe (add to cart and buy) – CONS: it’s a little bit outdated (but I would not use the internal encoders, I can easily update the socketed UNIBIOS and I can add quite easily a DFO if I encounter problems with OSSC)
  4. Build one by myself – PROS: it would be cheap and fun – CONS: I'm pretty confident in setting up the electronics, but I fear I would make a mess with the case and my Dremel

So, it’s all for now.

Best regards.
Locutus73

welcome!

Just go with option 4, get a smallish MVS board like MV-1FZ or MV-1C and go from there, great learning experience ;)

I 2nd the 1FZ recommendation, it's a nice sized/compact board to work with.

RGB's HAS (Home Arcade System) has ruined me for other superguns tho.
I can't praise it enough, highly recommend you look into getting one when/if he opens up another batch.

welcome!

Just go with option 4, get a smallish MVS board like MV-1FZ or MV-1C and go from there, great learning experience ;)
I 2nd the 1FZ recommendation, it's a nice sized/compact board to work with.
I’m oriented towards a MV-1C for the simplicity of getting stereo audio output.

RGB's HAS (Home Arcade System) has ruined me for other superguns tho.

I can't praise it enough, highly recommend you look into getting one when/if he opens up another batch.
You get the point with the magic words IF AND WHEN!
There are many wonderful products, but few we can actually buy. Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a NeoBiosMasta VMC just because it’s available again (I’m not still sure if I’ll go with a prebuilt CMVS or if I’ll build it by myself).
At this moment in time:
  • MV-1C seems to be the best MVS I can actually buy.
  • Analogue CMVS Slim seems to be the best CMVS I can actually buy (I'd love Ocelete AppleTV style one or JNX one).
  • Retroelectronik seems to be the best Supergun I can actually buy (I'd love RGB HAS).
  • The old NeoSD seems to be the only Multicart (excluding crappy Chinese stuff) I can actually buy (I'd love NeoSD Pro or DarkSoft one, but I have doubts, it seems to be so difficult to source non biased infos around the web).

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

Analogue CMVS Slim seems to be the best CMVS I can actually buy (I'd love Ocelete AppleTV style one or JNX one).
... unfortunately these aren't in production anymore either, though they show up on ebay from time to time.

MV-1C seems to be the best MVS I can actually buy
Well depends, the 1C's seem to have a higher failure rate.
I'm not sure why that is, but yea the RAM seems to go bad more often than with other motherboards.

The 1C's vertical cart slot I also find a pain, but that's because I put mind inside a cab with low shelf clearance (in a SG this wouldn't matter).
IMO the best mobo is still the 1FZ.

@Locutus73 i did a stereo mod on my MV1FZ and its pretty easy, even for a beginner. I would do it different today because i think i could get a better looking result now, but there are at least two different stereo mods floating around.

And it sounded to me like @RGB is planning to do a new batch not so far in the future.

I don’t know if a presentation thread is the right place for discussing about consolizations, but, anyway… what do you think about this Mini ITX case?
https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/case/mini-itx-nuc/itx-601
1_ITX-601_homepage-173b9bc118b3fe24dd70978d83f4ca66.jpg

4_ITX-601_hinten-f9ca8187ac2ded78f48f910b328e66f0.jpg

5_ITX-601_hinten_offen-a2c8f072a1e84f5d4f45a0743fbdd83b.jpg

88882099.jpg

It’s 60 x 195 x 215mm and it comes with a 60W external power brick.
It seems a good candidate for a MV-1C consolization to me… maybe it can contain a Supergun too… I was thinking to Retroelectronik’s one fetched by the ATX power connector.

Many thanks in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

Back