What's new

Malenko

Professional
Reaction score
So is there a specific IO I need or an addon board? Can regular old happ guns work? And will the guns work on Atomiswave games too?
I currently have a Capcom IO but I do have a Sega one in a box of parts if need be.

thanks in advance!

There's a specific gun board, plugged to JVS I/O (translate guns to analog inputs for JVS).
On ths gun board you plug LED chain and the guns.

NAOMI as far as I know cannot be used with atomiswave or happ style light guns.

I love NAOMI but I've never bothered to do a gun rig on it. You either need the IO and all the sensors or to use an analog fixed input (i.e. like Midway did in terminator 2, the gun isn't optical, it's calibrated with pots like an analog joystick on a fixed mount).

there is a lightgun project on a french forum,
it uses a pic microcontroller and the optical head from a wii remote to recreate a real jvs linked gun setup - just like the originals.

Yes, very interesting stuff. I get one, to test. Use Wiimote camera and Wiibar plugged on a custom PCB with a small PIC.

All the technical information on the Sega IR guns you can find in my thread here: Shooting Gallery: Sega Type-II IR on a 108" front projection setup.

The Gun 2 NAOMI setup is a neat idea but I personally don't like the implementation, there are several other threads where I've written a short novel on the technical reasons why but the short answer is this:

Any gun setup that only tracks 2 points (such as 2 LEDs) as opposed to 3 or more points is using "bi-angulation" rather than "tri-angulation" to calculate the gun position. Bi-Angulation means that it's using the shooter as the 3rd point in the calculation and as a result only the position the gun was in when calibrated will be sighted correctly.
Take a step to the left or to the right, further away or toward the screen and now your calibration is off.

The GunCon setup uses a similar bi-angulation and that obviously works "good enough" for lots of people, the Gun 2 NAOMI is no different, but for me to be satisfied the gun needs to be able to work from any position without re-calibration.

I guess the disconnect is that I thought the Naomi had some sort of native support for light guns that was closer to how the zapper works on an NES. I didn't know they were IR systems like Wii motes. I just picked up a Midway Universal cab that happened to have Area 51 in it, I had other plans for the cab but it got me thinking about using the guns for my Naomi set up but I guess that's not an Option. I always wanted to give Confidential Mission a go.

I was pleasantly surprised that I could hook up a dreamcast with a VGA Box running at 15K and use a dreamcast lightgun on an arcade monitor.

I thought the Naomi had some sort of native support for light guns
Quite the opposite, there is ZERO native support for Light guns on NAOMI. The "Sega" IR gun hardware is self-contained system (guns, LED array, and Gun board) that functions even when not connected to any game hardware; It outputs an analog position as long as it has power. There's no special IO board necessary to interpret the output, the NAOMI just sees the analog signal (Same as an analog joystick, or a steering wheel). You can actually play the gun games using an analog joystick.. I've done this.

(I say "Sega" because the gun system wasn't even developed or Manufactured by Sega it's made by a third party called "OMZ" and just re-branded as Sega boards.)

I didn't know they were IR systems like Wii motes
While they both use IR LEDs they're otherwise nothing alike.

The Wii Remote has an IR Camera and uses the camera output to track it's relative position to any 2 static points of light (indeed I've seen people use a Wii Remote tracking against 2 candles).

The Sega/OMZ guns have an array of 10 or 12 addressable LEDs around the parameter of the screen and uses a specialized IR sensor (like a motion senor) to determine the guns proximity to each LED in the array and then use that information to triangulate it's absolute position.

While they both use IR LEDs they're otherwise nothing alike.
I know I over simplified, but to be more specific I thought they had a gun that counted the white dots on a screen flash, and didn't track gun position. Having never played an actual Naomi Lightgun game I was never there to pull the trigger and see if the screen flashed =)

Thanks for your time and help, I do appreciate it.
I don't think hunting down an OMZ set up will be worth it nor would it be worthwhile to set up the alternate less accurate solution.

Having never played an actual Naomi Lightgun game I was never there to pull the trigger and see if the screen flashed =)
screen flashing was needed for cheapest stone age lightguns only, like NES one.
the later CRT light guns doesn't need any flashing, they are is sensitive enough to detect running CRT beam, then latch current screen X/Y position, for example like mentioned Atomiswave gun (technically same as Dreamcast gun).

Yeah I know but I couldn't think of a better way to explain what I was looking for /shrug I guess I could have said "counted dots" oh well.
Gist is, I wont be adding guns to "Oh Naomi!"

Back