What's new

TheDrunkenArcade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am picking up a 2 Player X-Men this week with the standard 054544 sound chip issues. That should be an easy fix.. how hard is it to change it from 2 player to 4 or 6? what roms are needed to be swapped - trying to get the parts ordered in today so that by wednesday/thursday I can start getting it converted..

Thanks!

this is not a simple rom swap.

4-6 player version runs on an other hardware...........

Which board do you have?

KONAMI - X-MEN 2P/4P - GX065 - PWB353018A
KONAMI - X-MEN 2P/4P/6P - GX065 - PWB352532B

Derick2k: not sure until wednesday when I have it in my hand. I will report back wednesday night once its in the garage.. so if its the 3018a - its only a 2/4player board.. if its the 532b - its can be converted up to 6?

- Rick

Derick2k: not sure until wednesday when I have it in my hand. I will report back wednesday night once its in the garage.. so if its the 3018a - its only a 2/4player board.. if its the 532b - its can be converted up to 6?

- Rick
Correct, let us know what you working with.

Do you have one of these cabs =O

x-men-6p-500x667.jpg

- Rick
Correct, let us know what you working with.
Do you have one of these cabs =O

x-men-6p-500x667.jpg
Such an awesome cab.

Such an awesome cab.
Very cool cab to behold but Such an annoying cab to work on... not only is the thing monstrous but it also needs to sit an extra 2ft away from the wall because the second monitor hangs out the back in it's own little box.

at least the control panel section separates to make it easier to move.

No.. the guy selling me the machine has the board in a dynamo.. my plan is to rip the board out of the cab.. fix the sound / rom issue.. and then offer it up for sale with whatever roms it can support either 2/4/6 whatever to recover my cost on the cabinet..

then im dropping street fighter into the cabinet and starting my dedicated SF cab collection (already have CE, and The Movie) need a cab for my world warrior and sf vs xmen

I like the 6-player version best, but not even because of the 6-players.

It's that dual monitor, not only does it look awesome it makes the game easier to play...
In the single screen version enemies hide just off/at the edge of the screen.
Sure they still try this on the dual screen, it's just easier for you too see them with so much width.

- Rick
6 player board includes an extra circuitry to handle the 2nd monitor output, so it's got a lot of extra components and a larger pcb. it's not something you can convert

im just looking to swap it from 2 players to more.. make it an easier sell I think.. though maybe people would want the 2player version more.. I dunno.. i will dig more when I get it here.

im just looking to swap it from 2 players to more.. make it an easier sell I think.. though maybe people would want the 2player version more.
In general people with dedicated cabs want the 4 or 6p versions. people who are just buying a PCB to add to their collection and swap into their cab from time to time want the 2P version.

I read that Clay Cowgill created a board for the guys at Ground Kontrol in Portland, Oregon, that takes the second screen output, flips it and combines both screens into one widescreen output for their LCD slim version of the cabinet. Their blog post was taken down, but the Wayback Machine has captures of it: https://web.archive.org/web/20131203034402/https://groundkontrol.com/category/6-days-of-x-men/

I've posted about this on KLOV, but it seems that this adapter was a single one-off that Clay built, or so the rumor states. I say rumor because Ground Kontrol claims its using an original board, and we all know that it's not possible without some sort of screen-combining adapter.

But if this adapter was made available, I'd love to get one for a supergun set-up. I've played Ground Kontrol's cabinet and I gotta say, 6-players on a single widescreen display is perfect.

I heard about that "adapter" but I don't buy it. there's no way they wouldn't have posted at least a picture of it, with the amount of work and video conversion black magic that would have been necessary for such a setup.

but instead we got a picture of Clay Cowgill's custom audio amplifier... something that wouldn't have been necessary if they were using the original PCB... :rolleyes:

I doubt we'll never know for sure by my money is on that cab just running MAME and them making up a story about a custom video adapter so they don't risk a lawsuit

my money is on that cab just running MAME and them making up a story about a custom video adapter so they don't risk a lawsuit
You know I was thinking the same thing...

This fabled video device would need a huge frame buffer, to store both screen outputs in memory before then running a series of custom inversion and mat filters.
Anything this complex would have been well documented in the creation process, as the achievement would be too great to simply let die (it would also have huge potential future applications for more multi-screen games other than just X-Men).

I suspect fakery/MAME. :huh:

information:
the 6P - GX065 - PWB352532B pcb can NOT converted into a 2 or 4 player version :(
just tried several times...........

The 2 player PCB with a ROM swap can do 4 players.
The 4 player PCB with a ROM swap can do 6 players.
The 6 player PCB (GX065) can only do 6 players (thanks for the info @Astro X)
The 2 player PCB cannot do 6 players.

awesome.. now back to the original QUESTION of the thread. Which roms and why type? Like I said Im getting the game/board tomorrow and would like to pre-order the parts to cut down on swap time.

Thanks again

Back