What's new

SabreAZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of building a JAMMA supergun. I am currently building using the Retroelectronik ProGamer Supergun ( http://retroelectronik.com/en/super...autofirevoltmeter-included-5674864654514.html ), as the HAS superguns are very hard to get. Setting this up with typical JAMMA boards is whatever, not a problem. But I want to dive into Naomi + Netboot. This is new territory to me. I have experience using the hardware, when it comes to cabinets, especially with a SUN PSU. But as for a supergun setup, I am stuck at what are ideal solutions to the power supply problem.

I understand the Capcom I/O does not deliver enough amps off the 3.3v to power the Naomi and the NetDimm. Currently I am just using an ATX PSU going into the supergun board (will be changing to a switching PSU, unless there is a better option). But again, due to the capcom I/O, I can't get enough power. I do happen to have a Jasen's Customs ATX to Naomi cable. Is it even possible to just use one ATX PSU(or preferrably a non pc psu) to power the jamma and the naomi?

I know I can just go ahead and use a switching PSU on the jamma, then use a dedicated atx psu to power the Naomi, using Jasen's custom cable. But is there a better solution. I hear about PICO PSU but I don't know much about that. This has been tough because this is the only board that will give me trouble on a standard jamma Supergun rig. It would just suck to have to have two big PSU's for a supergun setup just to play NAOMI. It almost seems to be more hassle than what it's worth.

My apologies if solid solutions have been posted. I tried looking, but I guess I was more curious with anyone with experience in doing this setup using the Progamer Supergun board. If there is solid info on this that will answer all my questions, please direct me. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I know I can just go ahead and use a switching PSU on the jamma, then use a dedicated atx psu to power the Naomi
Yup this is what I would do ^

Use something like a Suzo Happ 130watt hooked to a JAMMA edge to power the Capcom IO for JVS controls.
Use a PC ATX (or real Sun JVS) PSU to power the Naomi + NetDIMM.

Maybe I didn't have a good enough ATX PSU (430w evga brand), but my supergun setup didn't start working well with the Naomi until I got an actual Sun PSU to power the Naomi and netdimm.

It was a HAS supergun with a capcom io, for what it's worth. The HAS got power from a 110w happ unit.

Thanks for the replies.

Is it possible to use a Sun PSU to power the jamma (wiring into the supergun board screw terminals) and then plugging the 6 and 8 pin directly to the naomi?

Thanks for the replies.

Is it possible to use a Sun PSU to power the jamma (wiring into the supergun board screw terminals) and then plugging the 6 and 8 pin directly to the naomi?
There's another connector from where you can take +5 and +12v, but I don't know if the Sun PSU will have enough power to run it alongiside with the Naomi.

I'm currently in the process of buying all the parts to run a full Naomi system (complete with gd-rom drive) and I found this forum to be a great source of information. The power supply seems to be main hurdle of building a complete setup, especially if located in a country with 220/240v mains (like me). I'm not so eager to run two PSUs and a stepdown converter so I've decided to buy an industrial PSU which has adjustable 3.3, 5 and 12v rails (Meanwell QP-100-3A) as suggested here. I'm aware 100w might not be much but contrary to the Naomi fame of being a power whore, forum member Invzim actually measured its power requirements and it doesn't look that bad to me. I'm a bit concerned about the minimum required load of 2A and 0.3A for the 5v and 12v rails respectively though, I'm not sure I've got that covered since the Naomi runs from the 3.3v rail mainly.

Another option would be to use a standard ATX PSU using the JST connectors, but this solution is considered less reliable due to the actual output voltages being quite off the mark generally (I measured one I have here and got 5.25 and 3.47v.. not gonna use that). If you have one that stays closer to 5 and 3.3v it might be a viable options though. Here's an how-to on wiring it for the Naomi.

Yet another option is adapting a Capcom I/O board to output more power. Forum member Derick2k wrote about it here. Might be a good solution if you're confident on your electronics skillz (I'm not).

Xer, thanks for all the information. That is really helpful.

Another question, i noticed the Sun PSU does not have a -5v line. Do Jamma games need the -5v? What is it used for?

I read somewhere on here that -5v is used on Midway boards for audio. Not sure if I remember that correctly - I'll let the rest of the board chime in.

I'm interested in understanding Naomi powering solutions. Kinda in the same boat at the moment, where I want to put together a supergun setup for Naomi w/Netboot that doesn't involve tons of PSUs and keeps the amount of necessary components to a minimum. The furthest I got to making a stable setup was using a Windy Gaming supergun + Capcom I/O for controls and that was a mess. I sorta got a Sega I/O working for digital controls, which would be ideal for me since I wouldn't need a separate power supply for that, but there were issues that pointed towards a faulty I/O if I remember right. All of that is in storage for now (including my HAS setup) but this will be revisited soon because I'm motivated to come up with a good "portable" setup for Naomi.

Apparently very few games require -5v.. I found a short list on the NG forum but I don't know if linking to other forums is allowed here.. a few notable ones are Double dragon 1&2, Rastan, Mortal Kombat 3..

Edit: As for shrinking down the required components to run the Naomi, I think it would be great if someone came up with a JVS to DB15/something converter as that would dispense from needing an I/O board for a consolized Naomi.. it looks like the JVS protocol is already known (JVS-PAC..).

Last edited:
Yea very few games use -5v, the Capcom IO certainly doesn't need it.
I would still recommend you use a real switching JAMMA PSU for the IO, and only use the real JVS PSU to power the Naomi + NetDIMM.

You'd think there would be a definitive all in one solution that everyone would give the thumbs up on, by now. Definitely a complicated scenario!

I managed to snag a SUN 400-5397-01 for 50bucks. I'm hoping I got the correct version for JVS, as I was kinda surprised at the price I got it for.

I will definitely test some ideas out. Everyone has been a real help!

You'd think there would be a definitive all in one solution that everyone would give the thumbs up on
Definitive is the issue, because to me the all-in-one solution exists.
It's a single JAMMA PSU (Suzo Happ 130watt) connected to a Capcom IO, connected to a Naomi running carts (no power hungry slut DIMMs).

Sadly, a lot of gd rom games I want to use. I agree though, I can't believe how much power this sucker needs

Sadly, a lot of gd rom games I want to use
You can convert them into cart format... I have a Jorge 2-in-1 cart that includes Capcom vs SNK 2 (a game that only was officially released on GDROM).
Again definitive is the issue, as allot of people don't like Jorge and think NetDIMMs are fine.

@Derick2k and I have been trying to rally support for a true Naomi flashcart for like two years now.

You'd think there would be a definitive all in one solution that everyone would give the thumbs up on
Definitive is the issue, because to me the all-in-one solution exists.It's a single JAMMA PSU (Suzo Happ 130watt) connected to a Capcom IO, connected to a Naomi running carts (no power hungry slut DIMMs).
No Naomi multicart tho. At least not yet. Otherwise, I agree. The Netboot setup makes things cumbersome and adds overhead. It's ok if the whole thing sits in one place most of the time but not so much for a portable supergun setup.

Yeah a Naomi Flashcart would be sick, but I suppose it's not priority vs other hardware due to the fact Naomi has a "solution" for now.

Pardon my ignorance, but what are these Jorge 2-1 carts?

but what are these Jorge 2-1 carts
A guy going by the name of Jorge has found a way to load a few Naomi games onto a single cart.
The advantage is instant loading, normal cart power requirements and conversions from GDROM.

You must run his special Naomi BIOS to access the 2nd game on the 2-in-1 cart, with normal BIOS installed it only plays the first game.
I believe he said a 3-in-1 was possible but only if the games loaded onto the cart were small enough in size to fit (the two games I picked MvC2 and CvS2 filled up the cart).

This is my cart, as you can see only one chip has been desolder and re-soldered.
So he must have found a way to write the carts contents with the Naomi itself (after loading some initial code)?
8TwKWJ5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for going off-topic here but - can you save your progress on converted carts (e.g. highscores)? I'm especially thinking about shmups..

And by the way I just found a place that sells a multivoltage PSU with what looks like a dial to adjust the voltages. I wish I had seen this before blowing $100+ on the Meanwell PSU lol

So he must have found a way to write the carts contents with the Naomi itself
the fact this type carts can be reprogramed using Naomi itself was known since ~7 years ago.
it is almost always a matter of if there is any person motivated to create something, in this case write flash programming tool for Naomi / SH4.

So I noticed when I bought the SUN 400-5397-01 PSU(still waiting for it to be shipped,) the cables are incredibly short. Can anyone guide me on extension cables I would need?

Back