What's new

mundy

Student
Reaction score
Recently picked up an adapter for the mini pro to write some 27C322's but cant seem to read or write anything on any of them, keep getting a 'overcurrent protection actions external short circuit/ic reverse or damaged' error everytime. Anyone experienced this before? The minipro has read everything else I've thrown at it, checked all the obvious things. Any help would be appreciated. 8|

Are you trying to write them as 27C4096? Unchecked 'Check ID'?

Which adapter is it? Are you sure you the adapter is seated in the right way?

Never try yo read or burn 27C322 on my mini pro, but i suggest you to buy instead a better eprom burner like the GQ-4X.
Perfectly work with these one.

Best regards

The error the burner is giving suggests that you have your EPROM installed backwards or its bad. Try a different EPROM and make sure is installed the correct way

Right,

For sure, you should perform double or triple eeprom erasing before burning it. I always perform 3min x2 erasing to be sure.

Also, perform a blank check before burning.

Try also to use a more powered port or double powered usb cable.

Nicolas

Same error with Blank check, 'overcurrent protection actions external short circuit/ic reverse or damaged' driving me insane. I'am going to pick up a powered usb hub now and see will that work

Same error with Blank check, 'overcurrent protection actions external short circuit/ic reverse or damaged' driving me insane. I'am going to pick up a powered usb hub now and see will that work
I was getting this error on my mini pro but only because I had the wrong chip type selected

I've noticed in the software for this programmer some chips are severely overvolted on VPP. For example GAL16V8 is set to 16V which is out of spec and should be 14V. What is it setting the VPP to on those chips?

can you manually add own profiles to this software? Would be sweet to add support for other chips currently not supported. Could be tricky with the vpp though

I've run into problems with these programmers because they don't run an external power supply, they're great for some things (particularly newer SMD stuff)

I had a CPS2 conversion sent to me to fix where 6 of the 8 ROMs wouldn't verify and after being erased and reprogrammed on my burner worked fine. The only thing I could put it down to was the burner not having a high enough current to burn them properly.

In saying that, for the price and what they can do, they're amazing.

Yeah I'am nearly ready to call it a day on these and order another programmer I've tried everything at this stage, powered USB, new chips, old chips, left in the eraser for longer, voltages adjusted etc does'nt even attempt to read/write.. 'Overcurrent protection error' as soon as I press a button. :( I've seen online there is a hardware mod to disable the overcurrent protection but I'd hate to faf it up cause its great for everything else. Anyone know a programmer that will burn 27c322 without the need for an adapter, does the top3000 do them?

I don't think any real 42 pin programmer will have issues with them.

I read 27c322 without any problem with my TL866CS and the exact same adapter as you. Are you sure you put the eprom the right way (with the notch up) and with the eprom at the lowest position it can be on the zif, like this.

When using the default 40pin zif, the eprom has to be at the highest position but has to be at the lowest when using the 48pin adapter I guess, maybe it's what you did wrong?

And of course uncheck 'Check ID', select 27c4096 as the IC and set the switch of the adpater to "27c322".

Yeah, everything is setup fine just same error no matter what I try do, I've been burning lots of other chips flawlessly.. maybe its a bad adapter, I have checked for shorts too and ant see anything. I'am really at a loss, bad adapter maybe? Also get the same error when trying 27160

Last edited:
does the top3000 do them?
It surely does but it's quite slow (6mn for a full 27C322).

I had a look at your adapter and it mention dipswitches to select between 8 banks for the 27C322. Does it mean you have to move the jumpers 8 times and burn each bank after an other (8 writing cycles)?

Yeah, files need to be split into 512kb, slow process I'd imagine but as you can see I never got the chance to try :)

Yeah, files need to be split into 512kb, slow process I'd imagine but as you can see I never got the chance to try :)
Wow that's quite a big source of problems (mixing up files, overwriting the wrong bank, etc.).
It's probably ok if you only burn that kind of chip once in a while but for me it's a no go.

Yeah not a great solution to be sure but I only wanted to mess around with a couple of dead cps2 boards and cant justify the price of another programmer so thought I'd give it a go..

Back