What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Outside of a Naomi and a cart, what hardware is needed for Samba de Amigo?

And which I/O's are compatible?

to really play this game you'll need special maracas board and controllers, which is almost impossible to find.
predicting next question - no, NAOMI version doesn't support Dreamcast maracas device.

iirc game itself will boot with any JVS I/O, I think it was designed for Type-1 board, it uses 8x analog inputs - 2x for each maracas X and Y positions.
you may try to play it using 2x analog joysticks or light guns, but it will be like 50 shades of grey :)

You would need light gun sensors also, I believe.

So:
1x Naomi
1x Game cartridge
4x Maracas
1x Maraca PCB (or is it one per set of maracas?)
1x lightgun sensor assembly
1x Type 1 I/O

?

Are you sure that they're gun sensors and not some other type of sensor?
The Dreamcast maracas have a sensor that you put on the floor you can see them on the left and right ends of the gray bar thing:
130833.jpg

It looks like there is something similar on the left and right sides of the screen on the arcade version, but I'm skeptical that it's at all similar to Sega's IR gun sensors.

samba-de-amigo-arcade.jpg

EDIT: I stand corrected.
I found these photos:
https://imgur.com/gallery/gBUDy

looks to indeed be the same sensors as the guns, the maracas have IR LEDs in them. Now I'm curious if it uses the same "gun sense" board but adjusted differently.

Last edited:
from Dreamcast docs:
Ultrasound is used to detect the positions of the left and right maracas.
The coordinates of the maracas are determined by measuring the travel time of the ultrasonic waves.
The lower portion of each maraca contains an ultrasonic emitter, and ultrasonic sensors are located at the left and right ends of the base unit set up on the floor.
The position of each of the maracas is determined by measuring the time that it takes an ultrasonic wave that is produced by the emitters in each maraca to reach the left and right ultrasonic sensors in the base unit, and then solving the following simultaneous quadratic equations
I'd bet arcade ver works using same basic principle. ultrasonic, not IR.

I'd bet arcade ver works using same basic principle. ultrasonic, not IR.
it doesn't, I was wrong. the arcade version uses IR:
https://imgur.com/gallery/gBUDy

I thought the maracas were opaque plastic but apparently they're translucent with IR LEDs inside.

the Sensors on the sides of the cab are identical to the sensors in the IR guns.

I'd love to see the interface board. It maybe the same gun sense board too but with different rom?

the Sensors on the sides of the cab are identical to the sensors in the IR guns.
good to know, thanks. wondering why Sega did it in different way for home and arcade markets.

I'd love to see the interface board. It maybe the same gun sense board too but with different rom?
I'd like to see it too, but sadly there is no public available service manual for this game...

good to know, thanks. wondering why Sega did it in different way for home and arcade markets.
I'm guessing that it wasn't practical to release something that could track the height and positioning of shaking maracas on a console in 1999, so they changed the home version. I believe the later Wiimote technology would've allowed it to have been closer to the arcade experience...?

So wait, doesn't that mean you should be able to pretty easily build your own set of maraccas?

I would be surprised if the IO is something else than your standard gun sense board. I know someone who (I think) has a machine, I'll try to enquire!

doesn't that mean you should be able to pretty easily build your own set of maraccas?
maybe? it depends on if it uses a standard gun sense board or if it uses the same ROM on the gun sense board.

we also really need to know how the LEDs are setup with the maracas.

I know someone who (I think) has a machine, I'll try to enquire!
Here are the things I'd love to see if I had access to a machine
-Pictures of the "gun sense" board
-A dump of the ROM on the gun sense board (hopefully it's an older board with a socketed ROM)
-pictures of the inside of the maracas and all the boards inside the maracas
-pictures of every connector between the maracas and the gun sense board (so we can work out the wiring)
-Scans of the manual if available (really just the wiring diagram or any pages referencing the maraca hardware)

Ugh, not a normal gun sense board.

That's probably all I can get for info. No manual available.

Yaton had a couple of really beaten up maraccas for sale a few weeks ago (link). He might have a machine or parts of one?

Attachments

• img_4011.jpg
    img_4011.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 92
A part number is definitely a start. Sent a message to yaton.

A part number is definitely a start. Sent a message to yaton.
I'm going to guess you were the one who bought the maracas?
I wish.

I bought a cart a while back for $15 from that guy that kept listing Super Nova stuff on eBay a few months ago. Came across it again the other day and that's what sparked the thread.

Hi everyone!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread! I also want to create a replica of a Samba de Amigo arcade cabinet... but in my case, it will be in virtual reality! To do this, I need details about the arcade, such as dimensions and high-quality pictures of the cabinet from all angles, so I can create a 3D model. Unfortunately, my online search has only yielded a few pictures and videos, so while I may be able to construct "something," the final result will lack many details.

If anyone knows where I can find an arcade cabinet, I would greatly appreciate it. If I'm unable to visit the location myself, I might be able to ask someone to capture the necessary pictures for me.

I will use the model in an open-source project, making it available for anyone who wants to use it.

Any tips or guidance would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

Back