What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I was curious if it'd be possible to convert MK1 Y-Unit or Super High Impact into a SmashTV

The boards look identical, and looking at MAME source it claims that this can be accomplished swapping ROMs and the (Intel P5C090-50) protection chip. There also appears to be a few PALs and a boat-load of jumpers on these. The PLD archive on jammarcade appears to have some unverified PALs for SmashTV. I also managed to find a jumper list for SmashTV on KLOV: https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showpost.php?p=1743807&postcount=5

So the missing bit seems to the protection chip.

I'm also curious if the sound boards are the same across all the Y-Unit games? they appear to be from photos but I know there are some variations with the later T-Unit games

i dont think any of the logic dumps can be trusted.
i need some myself to revive a dead board.

as for the second question, there are atleast 2 soundboards.
one is biased toward digital audio, the other is a bit like the old williams sound with a cvsd speech chip.

you could hack the protection if you had a working board(unlike me) and the correct audio.
i want to turn high impact into strike-force. 8)

one is biased toward digital audio, the other is a bit like the old williams sound with a cvsd speech chip.
Do you know which games use which? That would determine which games could be used as donors for which other games.

you could hack the protection if you had a working board(unlike me) and the correct audio.
maybe you could... I haven't learned the process yet, though I'd like to.

acording to mame,

ADPCM sound:
mortal combat
total carnage

CVSD sound:
high impact football
super high impact
trog
smash tv
strikeforce

CVSD sound:
high impact football
super high impact
trog
smash tv
strikeforce
based on this it sounds like High Impact and Super High Impact would be appropriate donors for a Strike Force or Smash TV conversion. Now it's a question of weather we have the PLD dumps and if the security chips could be created or the games patched.

Last edited:
we have some dumps, untested.
no security chips though.
patching strikeforce can be done, i partially did it and had bad sprites if i remember right,
the protection is slightly better on the other games, but still should be doable.

the protection is well documented in mame.
there is even a partial patch floating around to make it work with defender style controls instead of an 8way stick!!

Back