What's new

SabreAZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently on the hunt to score a Taito Type X2. I do not have a lot of experience with this hardware, such as different variants, hacking/modding/multi kits/etc.

My question is, when buying an X2, what should I be looking out for? What models should I avoid? Which models/specs should I be after?

My main goal is to multi game this hardware, and I want to be sure I don't make the stupid mistake of grabbing an incorrect model

You want any TypeX2 with a model number of 208A or higher and a 7900GS GPU.

If you plan to "really" get into the system, look for one with the iDMAC card insalled. Its a PCI-E card that has two NIC ports on it and is used for connecting Taito's proprietary FastIO boards. FastIO boards are a replacement to JVS I/O boards offering faster I/O polling. Though the FastIO boards are not backwards compatible with JVS games without using the multi.

The only information I have to add to what @Niko said above, the FastIO PCB from the cab (as seen here with included card reader)...
OG675d6.jpg

Is NOT sold by Taito parts division.
It seems the only way to get one is to buy a complete cab (that one above came out of my Vewlix Diamond) with one inside it already.

Translation... If you don't already have a FastIO card in your cab, you'll probably NOT be able to find one so I don't know how much of a concern having a FastIO card in the X2 actually is.
I guess you could always remove and sell it tho (like I did cuz I give zero fucks about JVS/FastIO).

I also ended up with this Vewlix "VS" board?
yOABsXb.jpg

Never seen one before, but as the name suggested I'm just assuming this is to connect two cabs to one X2?
Not even sure if I still have it, I might have passed it along to my bro @Derick2k maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
So when you guys refer to polling differences between a regular i/o and a fast i/o, does that mean my control inputs are going to have more input lag with a standard i/o due to lower polling rate? Or is there more to it?

Thanks for the info too! This will be quite valuable

A higher poll rate should provide less lag, but in the real world with real humans playing it would you ever notice the difference?
@atrfate has corrected me about this (FastIO vs JVS lag) before, perhaps he could provide some more insight.

A higher poll rate should provide less lag, but in the real world with real humans playing it would you ever notice the difference?
@atrfate has corrected me about this (FastIO vs JVS lag) before, perhaps he could provide some more insight.
Oh believe me, as a competitive Fighting game player, well mostly retired these days lol, if it's 1 Frame or more, it's a pretty big deal. But then again, I'm not getting a type x2 for the fighting games, so no real biggie =D

Brizzo did some super in-depth test with JVS protocol I believe he stated something bout "control ' 1.2 checks Perframe

now when you think bout that you also have to factor in whats going on under the hood Ie how slow Seriel is and the overheads of even asking for the controls.

So due to this, you have windows writing to the port, reading the data and then relaying it back to the game its fairly slow,

Now when you compare to the idmac, Its direct memory access, so the speeds on paper are light-years ahead (pci bus we are talking)

All the game has to do now, is look at the memory of the idmac On the pci buss if you wanted to you could read data this way 10,000 times per second
In reality that would be way to much cuz its overkill at that point, so its up the the developer to program how many times there game checks that memory , If i had to guess id say its probably getting
3 to 4 reads per frame.

Both are fairly acceptable for gaming, but fast io is faster.

Chances of finding a iDmac outside of an x2 are pretty slim. All Nesica and Dariusburst X2 units have the iDmac preinstalled.

Alot of times what you will see, is arcade ops retiring their Nesica setups and popping regular x2 games in the boards to sell. There is a KOF MIA x2 setup like this on YAJ right now.

The main thing to note between FastIO and JVS is some or maybe most (haven't checked many) X2 JVS games have a 20ms (~1.4 frames) delay on input polling for compatibility. ( Not all JVS I/O boards are created equal! ) You can see this implemented sometimes when games use ReadFile() in a blocking manner. When using my FastIO2JVS library this delay is mitigated because I'm able to return from the function after passing the data instead of waiting for the timeout.

Is NOT sold by Taito parts division.
It seems the only way to get one is to buy a complete cab (that one above came out of my Vewlix Diamond) with one inside it already.
yes it is. its sold as a conversion kit for multiple machines and comes with an adapter to convert from sega and even namco now.

as for getting a DMAC in your TTX2 i would put it down to a must if you are buying your first one. they are popping up like crazy and it opens the machine to a lot more games with native support.

Got it before, comes as a kit with harness to convert Sega Lingbergh cabs.
Cost where about €500 before shipping (just the pcbs and harness that is)

Last edited:
this is the kit with the prices I got at that time;

K91X1207B IO CONVERSION P.C.B.ASSY     @JPY10,800-A few pcs in stock

N9004326A IO CONVERSION HARNESS (L9006470A) @JPY18,700-1pc in stock only

L9006452A ETHERNET CABLE(STRAI GHT)(1.6M) ZB/ @JPY6,000-Lead time 60days

L9006478A USB CABLE(A-MINI B) (2.5M)ZB/  @JPY6,000-Lead time 60da

oPOtFsv.jpg

oPOtFsv

Last edited:
So this piece should be all that's needed to outfit a Vewlix cab.

Makes sense its sold in a more generic kit for other cabs.
I always figured that was the reason why Taito put the JAMMA edge on the PCB (after all a Vewlix wouldn't need or use this).

No the 1207 PCB is just to adapt the 60p Sega harness to 60p Taito harness

So when converting a Sega cab it would look like this

Original harness -> 1207 Conversion PCB -> 6470 Taito harness -> 1204 Fast IO PCB -> UTP cable -> TTX2/3

I didn’t check the price of the individual 1204 Fast IO pcb as I already had one, just needed to connect it to a Sega cab.

Nobody has ever complained about the JVS fighting games I run at our weeklies. Non-FastIO X2's are easier to come by, and cheaper.

450€ .....holy fuck!

I think I'll just make my own wire harness adapter. I was interested in something to run fast io in a naomi universal cab. I was hoping to just find only these two:

N9004326A IO CONVERSION HARNESS (L9006470A) @JPY18,700-1pc in stock only

But I believe it will work if I just crimp up my own conversion harness. Please correct me if I'm wrong before I go crimping up some crazy harness!

Back