What's new
The monitor? That shouldn't be affected at all.

I had the RGB to VGA converter hooked to -5v as well. The TV I was using will only display a grey screen now.

The monitor? That shouldn't be affected at all.
If the +5 rail to the monitor via the VGA connector got shorted it would. But he said the RGB VGA converter is fine which makes no sense, if the monitor got fried the RGB VGA connector should've popped first

Last edited:
I didn't think it made and sence either but the monitor will only display grey screen and if I try to pull up a menu via the RGB to VGA converter I just get darker grey boxes where the menu would be. If I plug the converter into another monitor all the menus work just fine.

I thought about this and I think I probably get it.

The RGB lines would just be a pass through on your adaptor (because VGA is RGB) and the converter is probably just changing the resolution to 31k for use on a VGA display.

RGB signals do come with a voltage (only 0.7vPP off an arcade board but still) and this like the others was shorted out along with the +5 that VGA uses as well (as a blanking voltage I think same as SCART)

I'm amazed there wasn't a diode anywhere in the line of things you had connected that popped.

Knowing what caused the motherboard to stop working do you think it is salvageable at all? I would like to learn something from this mistake but I dont really know where to start looking for issues on the board.

Back