What's new

DevoDave

Beginner
Reaction score
So with the machine working except for the Timekeeper chip needing replacing, I carefully extracted it and installed a socket and a new chip.

Now the beast fails to show anything on the screen. I carefully checked for continuity of tracks and vias and searched for splashes and everything looks good.

It has a mod board, but it looks a quality unit. Percussion Freaks 9th.

So a couple of questions...

I'm away from the cab so looking to test on my bench and at least get video. I don't have an arcade monitor so will the db15 vga output give me something a pc monitor will display?

Do I need the cdrom and/or the i/o board installed to get it to boot?

Hi, as long as your pc monitor can handle 15 kHz it will display out of the vga port. I don’t have percussion freaks so I can’t speak to the specifics of the hardware checks on boot. I know the game own fisherman’s bait will not boot without the cd rom. There is thread here discussing the Master Calendar. Hopefully it can shed some light on your issue. Konami system 573 Master Calendar

Now the beast fails to show anything on the screen.
it should show something, this system is hard to fail, except for cdrom, and monitor.

It has a mod board, but it looks a quality unit. Percussion Freaks 9th.
can you take photo of this mod board?

Do I need the cdrom and/or the i/o board installed to get it to boot?
no, you don't need cdrom or i/o bd to get it boot.

Found the problem! A splash of solder was underneath the TEST button switch. That was tricky.

Unfortunately there must be some protection info that does not exist on my new Timekeeper IC, as I get an error message saying the cassette doesn't match the game. Sigh.

Dion, here are photos of the mod board...

Attachments

• 20180425_075637.jpg
    20180425_075637.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 20180425_075624.jpg
    20180425_075624.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 234
I have seen mod board like that. not quite sure how they works.
as for cassette error, sometimes because of connector problem. clean it and re-plug.

All sorted, and I know a bit more about System 573 now.

The DIP switch had been flicked to the wrong position and the board was looking onboard instead of off the CD-ROM. A couple of boots later and with me setting the clock it looks like everything is happy.

i fixed a dodgy solder joint on one of the drum sensor boards, and so the machine is basically working now. Replacing the drumsticks with some better ones and putting in new globes to the upper lights will bring it up to 100%.

Thanks for the assistance.

Back