What's new

kevindg86

Student
Reaction score
I have a JVS connected Naomi 2 with a netboot, turned it on today and none of the controls work at all. Nothing has changed physically, JVS board has LEDs on, any idea on where to start?

I would start with checking the ground cable going to your buttons and joystick. Next I would check the port where the usb cable plugs into the Naomi. Sometimes the connection could be loose. Then I would go into test mode to see if the Naomi sees the I/O. What kind of JVS I/O do you have?

Yeah test and service work. I am only getting 2.4vdc on the buttons, should be around 4.6 supposedly

I mean the input test in the test menu. Do the buttons work then?

Not at all, not a single button works on the game input test, jvs test, or in game

So I got something to work but it is really weird, Player 1 and 2 shot 1, 2 and 3 will work as well as the sticks, if I am holding down player 2 shot 5 and only if I am holding down shot 5? Any idea what is going on?

Does sound like a ground issue to me.. time to take out your multimeter and check the grounds for continuity.

837-13551, usb seems to be fine, ground seems to be fine
That’s the type 1 with the big controller chip right?
Those can die as well and replacements are available:
cb0fc951-e57e-4185-ae23-da6fd88f039f

But I have two of them, and they are both are doing the exact same thing. I can't imagine two boards going bad the exact same way.

If both IOs are acting the same, then this is the point where no matter how sure you are your wiring is good, you're probably going to need to check it again.

Sounds to me like a high resistance ground or an issue with the 5V that feed the controls. If you are only getting 2.4V to ground across your buttons and switches, something is definitely not right. I would also look for any shorting in the loom. It could be that the reason the buttons work when you push P2 button 5 is because your allowing a path to ground through those wires. Check the ground wires on each button to the ground on CN7 on Ohms to get resistances see if any thing looks weird. Check the Voltages at CN7 and the Digatal IO connector at every point not just one. Also check you haven't squashed the wiring loom somewhere.

The loom is fine, starts at the start button and splits out.

Buttons 5 and 6 on 2p are showing .5vdc when open while ever other button is showing 2.4 but jump up to 4.25vdc when either 2p button 5 or 6 is pressed

The loom is fine, starts at the start button and splits out.

Buttons 5 and 6 on 2p are showing .5vdc when open while ever other button is showing 2.4 but jump up to 4.25vdc when either 2p button 5 or 6 is pressed
Exactly this would indicate the loom is not fine as you measure yourself you’re losing over 2v on a line...
Check all connections for bad contact, corrosion etc.

Also measure with your multimeter from a ground point to your ground wires, should be 0v on all wire

Back