What's new
Probably you dont have the latest MENU and firmware.

Here is a pic of my sd card (menu 04-01):

0qEUHbU1dz7mDxs8illGEOfISeQ102c8-9GNFtHvmmN1M2DoKLTxfa8n58gq2cKUko8NnzrBlGFsEgwwrWtkuDzsnWX1WamZpTGccqZX2tqCKeAuRqvg1nm_XAciIZFcNdnisk4vAKPH8iE8NC4z0zhQ3QVWcPn9Db-rnQPLeZLwi1grozGi7D-rqopnwQV93TI6qqWLUoW6Ildf_GY97SOU2qCT1-kphnhRHEFGAGcuzXfmZV0t2Bx3aVPvxcBxANI351LQXUs7lkgxwVODf6_1L5-CRCKXjcxgX1OL57-afobLbmVZvoRVxJThU0_4HQYhmJlFO7xzzIBRyNKSFtG4mki5ew0c-byMHvuAMznQghC6RVVm3S2AhX1H3Fx9hylQ2EUvOQZc5U4sSL3GBEs5NBdToUpQsRaBKYyLZNZyjtBVP86wSyT_LP4rJq2OL8Bd7qzUmJiKvERLe9v3JdniOcjZCaU85hv4fr4Qtb3CVGHTlpq13HCd2v0R2El9IaLdI-8bGX98ohGBDcz8Qm54Lw2ZapOr1xqGadZXln0SA9vEpRB-jpmSIT_MGQD36irucSlt2boE5PKYcUgVGarS2F-BUnIOM1aq7Ho=w1964-h1472-no
g95Q7W9MxKNRF0y-uSd0QavHVgpoeqZrvntDxoEtW4ZEYpVEzZGWRMqx0-dyubzdELQ_OVKO10isp_QUpIHPusv4Cixmwr5Ql6j03g-0XZMdIVAQ9-C_A0SAWNatGzyqcdIAveSxm6bVcVbtvvhYVmgDARybOutCEcTP0_uH6_8QcrcEjkk28R4Uc3li5XxOOF8YqWArmy-GfL0bYbbDnohFq3kp3ICIsWRzC1lIV8d4Fm8sIhgA80gDs93ba081K4Nrfth6zgPkjl3CxGDzRRYRhWr9ZYzpC9V5cjqFv2eD52GKYKOJgQ2z-jzYeAWFvNLTRsJU39eQhQy_FMB-YoJj805rEIhHCOu8tm-yJTcn0w9wqys8xnb-XPa2pPmJPULBN4FWdLAmSBhCnMzQahG7jdMroUu1vhJhcdCBf7nD6EFcsOmzuEOGMzAFpjziFkhNW0CJupjaC-nbUQHtP_V2zqASYzglL9lmOFYVjt-fSqFDVkgoU0ATMfX5qTO2Xlx8UdhQC1ryN6avl9PyopKjIqt-KpJVRe_I4Tqz5pnTPmsDW--eI_MvLv6uG9WPAisJcAV9ykfQ1lhag9clXT5kCaI1ViJTEPjw0xQ=w1964-h1472-no

I use a Mac as well, but have Win7 running in a virtual machine just for working on arcade related stuff. All my SD Card stuff I do using this as it just removes the headache of removing the indexing files OS X puts everywhere.

If you can I would recommend doing this.

I did my CPS2 card on a Mac and just used dot_clean but I do agree it's a hell of a lot less dicey on a Windows machine.

@SmokeMonster @Darksoft @Mitsurugi-w - have you considered changing the rollup pack into an image instead of bare files?

I see no advantage to bare files as you can't add individual games to the card it needs to be reformatted when you want to do so.

If you were to make an image (preferably .img for compatibility) then you can use Win32DiskImager on Windows or Etcher on Mac and you would remove a lot of the issues you're having now with microsd cards because the physical data on the card would be a mirror image every time.

It also means you can write the card on any version of any operating system and would also remove the issues of people adding in bootlegs/hacks/other stuff from MAME that aren't yet supported.

That's a very valid point which we probably end up doing. A 16Gb would be the best.

not sure if i can be of help but i have a six slot that was repaired by xain xi should be here tomorrow but if you need testing done on a multi cart board let me know. I do not have a darksoft multi though i went with a cps2 instead.

I cut the trace on mine last night. Just want to check something.

When I separated the small board from the large board to get at the trace, 2 tiny washers fell out. I assume these were on the inside of the boards to space them apart a bit more?

I didn't catch where they fell out from.

They are not really needed but just put one on each screw you removed.

They are not really needed but just put one on each screw you removed.
Yeah, the other side doesn't have them so I was worried they are meant to go inside to make the risers a little bit taller?

Do they go under or on top of the PCB?

@SmokeMonster @Darksoft @Mitsurugi-w - have you considered changing the rollup pack into an image instead of bare files?

I see no advantage to bare files as you can't add individual games to the card it needs to be reformatted when you want to do so.

If you were to make an image (preferably .img for compatibility) then you can use Win32DiskImager on Windows or Etcher on Mac and you would remove a lot of the issues you're having now with microsd cards because the physical data on the card would be a mirror image every time.

It also means you can write the card on any version of any operating system and would also remove the issues of people adding in bootlegs/hacks/other stuff from MAME that aren't yet supported.
^THIS!

I will try today to format the SD cart and import menu using only a PC. We'll see...

I love this idea.
I clearly see pros in the img approach, but, at the same time, I see controversial aspects.
It’s evident that, distributing an img would nullify user errors making the debugging process easier.
But, on the other side, the FAT formatting/copy issue should be a non-issue at all. I mean, I understand that deleting and copying again files complicates the FAT table, but a good FAT implementation should be resilient to any of these problems (just like it should simply ignore OSX’s dot files). So it’s a workaround for a problem that should be solved.
And I think that the img approach would actually destroy the SmokeMonster’s packs original meaning: distributing a DB without original files. An img distribution would tie an easy debugging to piracy.

Regards.

Locutus73

The idea is to offer both so that everyone can use their preferred method.

Yeah I see; problem is one of the methods is… highly problematic!
IMHO a Smoke Monster Pack with an added utility, like the NeoSD one, for building ROMs from a local MAME romset should be the only options available here (leaving the other "options" to the interwebz). This is something that should be addressed sooner or later.

Regards.

Locutus73

Yeah I see; problem is one of the methods is… highly problematic!IMHO a Smoke Monster Pack with an added utility, like the NeoSD one, for building ROMs from a local MAME romset should be the only options available here (leaving the other "options" to the interwebz). This is something that should be addressed sooner or later.

Regards.

Locutus73
I think offering a utility would be more complicated. One would have to start catching roms, learn to use the utility, someone would have to use time to design/develop/test the utility, what about those who (like me) do not use Windows nor macOS...even more variables than writing the files yourself to the microSD. I do agree, however, that the kits should have a more resilient microSD access, the mere fact of finding an unexpected file should not make them act crazy, it simply should be ignored...

Yeah I see; problem is one of the methods is… highly problematic!IMHO a Smoke Monster Pack with an added utility, like the NeoSD one, for building ROMs from a local MAME romset should be the only options available here (leaving the other "options" to the interwebz). This is something that should be addressed sooner or later.

Regards.

Locutus73
I think offering a utility would be more complicated. One would have to start catching roms, learn to use the utility, someone would have to use time to design/develop/test the utility, what about those who (like me) do not use Windows nor macOS...even more variables than writing the files yourself to the microSD. I do agree, however, that the kits should have a more resilient microSD access, the mere fact of finding an unexpected file should not make them act crazy, it simply should be ignored...
^THAT^

I think offering a utility would be more complicated. One would have to start catching roms, learn to use the utility, someone would have to use time to design/develop/test the utility, what about those who (like me) do not use Windows nor macOS...even more variables than writing the files yourself to the microSD.
Yep, I do agree that current methods are easier and more effective for debbuging and all; I’ve stated that as a pro. Problem is they present a big, fat, huge con which cannot be ignored. We all know it's there, we cannot pretend it's not there.

I do agree, however, that the kits should have a more resilient microSD access, the mere fact of finding an unexpected file should not make them act crazy, it simply should be ignored...
:thumbsup:

Regards.

Locutus73

Last edited:
Aghhhh you're using a MAC. Those computers give a lot of trouble with hidden files and other kinds of stuff. See here:

Best bios to use with the multigame cart? Problems with Unibios 2.3?

Basically you need to run:
dot_clean /Volumes/sdcardvolumenamehere

Which gets rid of the stupid hidden ._ folders MacOSX creates
Everything was done on a pc, format and menu installation, and same issues again.So, maybe I will buy another slot later.
If you'd like I could make you an image to rule things out. Are you using a 16GB card?

Back