What's new

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
UPDATE on the power glitch issue. As has been posted since the multi has been making it's way into your pcbs, some motherboard have been found generate some power problems that can be easily solved by adjusting the voltage level. Although we tested many motherboard revisions during the design and test phases, we didn't encounter this problem until some users reported it.

If someone for whatever reason doesn't want or can't adjust the power on their cabinet and only has a MV1F or MV1FS motherboards, then they should apply the solution that we post below, which consists of cutting a trace close to the cart edge. See picture attached. Do NOT remove the resistor connected above the cut point. It is necessary to the function of the cart.

The problem comes from the position of the trace in relation to the FPGA. Though it is on a different layer of the pcb and not directly connected to any traces entering the FPGA there is interference that messes with the function of the FPGA on a certain line. The software solution we tried seemed to work HOWEVER, without going into too much technical detail, there is a chance that if the intereference is TOO Big, the firmware solution could potentially cause damage to the FPGA, especially if someone ran their voltage too high for a period of time. Therefore it became obvious that this is the best solution even if it is inconvenient.

This solution consists of opening the cart VERY CAREFULLY PAYING A LOT OF ATTENTION TO THE MicroSD Slot and cut the trace indicated in the pic below.

Take note that the SD card slot slides into the side of the cart shell therefore you need to take care not to exert too much upward pressure or the slot can be snapped of the cart pcb. If you damage the sd card slot it can be replaced but it will not be a free repair. So take this into consideration when deciding to do the fix yourself.

If you don't feel like you can do it, you can send the cart to us and we'll do the fix and send back to you.

It took a long time to pinpoint the problem and then research the best solution. For that we are sorry. We are just a few people in different parts of the world trying to iron out any issues. Obviously we will be doing all mods to the carts for free. Send it too us and it will get fixed. Mitsu has agreed to take on all carts sent his way in order to help me and to take care of you guys.

Please PM either Mitsurugi (USA) or Darksoft (Europe) depending on your location.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4MB_trace.png
    4MB_trace.png
    406.9 KB · Views: 1,200
I bet some kind soul is gonna make a video of how to do it right...

He could even use my cart to do it...

:D

Hi darksoft,
should all those with a different board (i have a 1FZ) also apply this fix to prevent that interference?

Hi darksoft,
should all those with a different board (i have a 1FZ) also apply this fix to prevent that interference?
I applied the fix to a previous perfectly working multi, and it's still working perfectly.

So yeah, you can apply the fix if you have one of the shorter mobos.. But don't expect to feel any difference :D

Note this isn't a fix for 4 or 6 slot GFX issues. That's the next thing we will tackle.

I bet some kind soul is gonna make a video of how to do it right...

He could even use my cart to do it...

:D
Your cart was my test cart. I just need to do the battery mod to your pcb and I will send it back. :)

Just out of curiosity, why does this issue only affect MV1F and MV1FS mobos, but not other types?

Just out of curiosity, why does this issue only affect MV1F and MV1FS mobos, but not other types?
Also curious about this: what do the MV1F and MV1FS boards do that the rest do not? (or vice-versa). Also, what is that trace signal supposed to do? if it's there it's because at one time or another it was determined to be necessary, or not? Finally: if the interference could damage the FPGA on the long run: isn't it best to do the mod whether you have an affected board or not?

MV1F and MV1FS are bigged PCBs and the interference generated is bigger and the filter is less than others.

the comment about what could damage the FPGA was exclusively refered to applying a certaing Firmware release that we haven't released, so nothing to be worried about. That firmware sets one of the pins on the FPGA as output instead of input to avoid interference getting in the FPGA. The problem is that if the interference for whatever reason was to be too big, it could cause undesired effects and *maybe* *potentially* damage the FPGA. But as we are not releasing it.....nothing to be worried about.

And what about the original function of the cut trace/pin?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.

Locutus73

Hi darksoft,
I'd just leave it like it is as it's working fine with the 1FZ.
So far so good - anyway, I'd be glad not to have to worry 'bout the neo geo mvs model I wanna use the multi cart with...

In other words: can the fix also have a negative effect?

Hi darksoft,
I'd just leave it like it is as it's working fine with the 1FZ.
So far so good - anyway, I'd be glad not to have to worry 'bout the neo geo mvs model I wanna use the multi cart with...
In other words: can the fix also have a negative effect?
It was applied by at least 2 people on here ( @deibit and @PascalP ) who don't have a 1F or 1FS and they didn't experience any negative effects. The official @Darksoft statement is however to leave it if you don't have the 1F or 1FS :)

cutting the trace can't have any negative effect because the track is not used at all. Actually, the new batch with have this trace precut by default.

Although I didn’t have any issues on my motherboard I cut it anyway for 2 reasons;
1 - testing ;)
2 - I want my cart to be 100% functional, even when I take it sonewere else or sell it (which I don’t see happening :P )

I confirm. It won't have any negative effect at all to cut it, but my advice is....if it works...don't touch it. If you are completely confident of what you are doing go ahead. And remember..... PAY ATTENTION TO THE MICROSD SLOT WHEN YOU PULL THE PCB!!!

Back