What's new
@Dion For me the Lindbergh won't work without the proper sense line, however on my Naomi I can simply always connect the sense line to ground and it works fine - Naomi must not follow the proper JVS spec.

Hi @Ravepants and @werejag, thanks for the suggestions! I’ve actually already seen both of those, and used some of their bits of code to troubleshoot with!

In terms of the project, the whole thing is basically finished and works. The only things I’ve got left to do is tidy up the settings files, so people can understand how to add their own controllers and then make a tutorial video on how to use it, or a raspberry pi image.

I’ve been working on a Lindbergh multi for a bit which is why I haven’t been doing OpenJVS for a while, but I’m sure I’ll get back onto it soon. Funnily enough I was actually using it yeasterday to play Let’s Go Jungle with my family!

Here’s the video:

Turns out it’s quite hard to play a gun game with a joystick!

I’ll be sure to let you all know when it’s finished!

It's sad to me that with so many single JAMMA PCB superguns on the market now no one has attempted to make a single PCB JVS supergun.

HAS
Sentinel
Parsec

Guys its been done, lets see a single board JVS supergun/some originality!

Desired traits of a JVS supergun...
  • Direct ATX PSU support
  • Standard JVS power connector output (providing enough amps to run a NetDIMM/NetBoot Naomi setup)
  • Single JVS IO USB header
  • 2x DB25 @Mitsurugi-w style "JVS helper" ports (ability to support more/other JVS peripherals like wheels/guns)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news. To get this correct - the OpenJVS when completed will allow for a standard USB peripheral (AimTrak (gun) or steering wheel) to be used with all JVS systems (Naomi, Chihiro, Triforce, Lindbergh) in a somewhat plug and play fashion? I assume some setting files will be provided or explained how to adjust them to use virtually any USB device one wants and it will work in a full JVS fashion? That is absolutely exciting and have been waiting for that opportunity for years. Please keep us posted - this is very exciting!
Hi @Ravepants and @werejag, thanks for the suggestions! I’ve actually already seen both of those, and used some of their bits of code to troubleshoot with!

In terms of the project, the whole thing is basically finished and works. The only things I’ve got left to do is tidy up the settings files, so people can understand how to add their own controllers and then make a tutorial video on how to use it, or a raspberry pi image.

I’ve been working on a Lindbergh multi for a bit which is why I haven’t been doing OpenJVS for a while, but I’m sure I’ll get back onto it soon. Funnily enough I was actually using it yeasterday to play Let’s Go Jungle with my family!

Here’s the video:

Turns out it’s quite hard to play a gun game with a joystick!

I’ll be sure to let you all know when it’s finished!

It's sad to me that with so many single JAMMA PCB superguns on the market now no one has attempted to make a single PCB JVS supergun.

HAS
Sentinel
Parsec

Guys its been done, lets see a single board JVS supergun/some originality!

Desired traits of a JVS supergun...
  • Direct ATX PSU support
  • Standard JVS power connector output (providing enough amps to run a NetDIMM/NetBoot Naomi setup)
  • Single JVS IO USB header
  • 2x DB25 @Mitsurugi-w style "JVS helper" ports (ability to support more/other JVS peripherals like wheels/guns)
That is a really good idea, and someone should definitely do it, but it won't be me. I'm interested only really in racing/shooting games, and not fighting games which is probably more of what that would be geared towards. The reason I'm doing OpenJVS is because, as a student, I can't afford to go out and buy a real steering wheel setup, or the hardware for the guns; however I am able to buy a cheep USB wheel or an aimtrak (still on the expensive side for me) and thats really what my software is about. But would be super easy to make a JVS Supergun, and should anyone need assistance with the protocol I'd be happy to help!

@arcadeWC And yep all correct, the idea is that settings files (or maps as I'm going to call them) could be created and shared so someone with a Logitech G25 could create map for outrun and let other people use it! It works plug and play on the Sega Naomi, as the sync signals are not used, however for a Sega Lindbergh a dedicated board would probably be needed, or some wiring to the Rasbperry Pi GPIO. I'm unsure about the Chihiro or Triforce as unfortunately I haven't got one yet!

Project Update:

Although not fully tested yet, OpenJVS is pretty much finished. Hopefully at the weekend when I get a chance, I will make a video about how to install and use it on a Raspberry Pi. There are already some, slightly thrown together, instructions on how to use it in the readme of the project: https://github.com/bobbydilley/OpenJVS.

Things that OpenJVS currently supports:

- Keyboard Input -> JVS
- Keyboard Input -> Analogue JVS
- Mouse Input -> JVS
- Controller (Joystick, Wheel) Input -> JVS
- Ability to change 'maps', for different games so for example a set of maps for an Aimtrak could be made so that you could play every Naomi game with an Aimtrak.
- Sega Naomi, with a £5 adapter from Amazon
- Sega Lindbergh, with £5 adapter from Amazon + Arduino running the sense line.

Things OpenJVS does not currently support:

- Raspberry Pi (fully), as it doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the serial. Some games do work well though, and everything works on a standard Linux computer.
- No easy installation script yet, you need to vaguely understand how to use a raspberry pi/Linux to create maps. Once most maps are created, I will created a raspberry pi image with all the maps on.

Future for OpenJVS:

- I'm going to make a video detailing exactly how to use, and make maps.
- People can hopefully then make their own maps and share them with the community, and we can create a repo of maps for easy use.

I hope everyone is able to use it, and it works well. As I said before its not properly debugged yet, and I will do this at the weekend!

Just another quick note:

Although in the settings there are separate entries for CONTROLLER and MOUSE, these will both accept any EVDEV based device. So you could have both of them as Aimtraks, or joysticks etc.

I've got a Chopped Naomi with a Sanwa 29e31s in that is wired for JVS. I've previously used JVS-PAC's to hook up PC's but these are currently out of production. I was thinking of putting a Pi with a VGA adapter in the cab for the days I don't want to play Naomi games.

It would be great if I could get your code running on the Pi (to talk to the JVS I/O) AND run a MAME emulator at the same time (on the same pi).

Any thoughts on where I should start and if this is do-able?

I'm a bit confused about your request. My code allows you to use USB devices attached to a Pi to play games on your Naomi (I emulate the I/O), not attach a JVS I/O to a Pi to play computer games if thats what you wanted?

As an option you could use any sort of JPAC to wire the controls of your arcade machine to the Raspberry Pi for mame, and then use OpenJVS to route the controls from the Pi back to the real Naomi which would allow you to play both.

I'm a bit confused about your request. My code allows you to use USB devices attached to a Pi to play games on your Naomi (I emulate the I/O), not attach a JVS I/O to a Pi to play computer games if thats what you wanted?
Ah yes, sorry,I've got it arse about face! I didn't explain very well either..

I'm being lazy and didn't want to have to wire up a load of buttons/joysticks to the pi (or disconnect the 60 pin header on the JVS I/O and wire that way). What I was hoping to do was connect the JVS I/O to the Pi and have the OpenJVS software running on the Pi and interfacing with Mame.

So much like using the JVS-PAC but all integrated into the Pi. Anyway, appreciate that this isn't quite in line with what you're doing.

I believe there is software out there to almost do what you want, and I may in the future be interested in providing a solution but unfortunately don’t have any cabinets yet!

Update:

Maps - We've got more maps down, so lots of Naomi games can be played with a PS4 controller. I'll be adding a set of USB wheel maps soon. For anyone that doesn't know, the 'maps' are the files which translate the information coming from a USB device, to information that an arcade system understands. So for example a map would include, which USB device to listen to, and that its accelerator pedal for example, should map to player 1 analogue channel 2 on the arcade system.

Netbooting - You can now directly netboot a Naomi/Triforce/Chihiro game from OpenJVS. There is a roms directory in `/etc/OpenJVS/roms/`, where you can put a rom with the same name as a map in. If you then run `openjvs <map_name>` then OpenJVS will boot the game on the system at startup. The netbooting is written in C, and seems to be to be faster than netbooting from a python script. One more thing I'll add to Netbooting is the ability for the system to search for the arcade system on the network, rather than using a static IP. This means that if the IP changes etc. it will continue to work. Another thing I'd like to do is continue the research of the people who where trying to save the game settings information between reboots on the Naomi, but that will be for a lot later down the line.

Sense Line - You can now run the sense line from one of the I/O pins on the Raspberry Pi. You need 4 resistors, but the circuit is just that, 1 wire and 4 resistors in series. I'll do a write up about how to set that up soon - but this means that you can now use OpenJVS on Naomi, Naomi 2, Triforce, Chihiro, Lindbergh etc. etc. basically everything!

Custom Board - I would really now like to make a custom raspberry pi hat which will have the RS485 converter, sense line circuit etc. on one simple board that people can just plug onto their Pi. I'm thinking that using the onboard RS232 the pi has might make this work with raspberry pi 1s which are cheaper. If anyone is interested in helping with making the boards, I'd be really interested to have someone help me design them.

Force Feedback - This is probably the most exciting update. I'm adding force feedback capability from the Lindbergh com port into OpenJVS. My current target wheel is the Mirosoft Sidewinder FFB Wheel, however I think that once it's setup any wheel that can be recognized in Linux should work fine. I get the wheel in about a week, so expect FFB support in about 2 weeks if all goes well.

Auto Start - I've added functionality for this to auto start with the pi, so when you turn your Pi on, it will boot with the default configuration - so in essence it can now be used as a replacement for a JVS I/O without any user interaction normally. I've currently got my Pi powered off one of the USB ports on the Lindbergh, so when you turn the Lindbergh on, OpenJVS boots up as well.

Questions for people:

If I where to make a dedicated board for a Pi, how would people want to select the maps/games that this should start?

- I could include some dip switches which would allow you to switch between maps, for example an Aimtrak for Lindbergh games or a USB wheel for Naomi games etc. There could be folders on the root of the sd card named 0001 and 0101 etc. which would be read for the maps/roms dependent on the dip switch position.
- I could include an lcd screen with some switches, but I'd really rather not do this as it makes the cost bigger and its more likely to break.
- I could just make it so you have 1 map and 1 rom in the root of a readable partition on the SD card and you just pop it into your computer to change it?
- I could just make instructions on how to adapt the current Pi Netboot solution with the LCD, so that my software was selectable from that LCD, and you just had to add in the sync wire.
- I could make it have a web page, where you can select the game and configuration etc. which remains upon reboot.

"- I could include an lcd screen with some switches, but I'd really rather not do this as it makes the cost bigger and its more likely to break."

Great job and looking forward to using you setup both for driving (force feedback wowwww) and light gun games:)

This would be better and I don't think that people would mind paying more for it.. make it like the CPS2 LCD that you can change things with the arrows..

Great job and looking forward to using you setup both for driving (force feedback wowwww) and light gun games:)

This would be better and I don't think that people would mind paying more for it.. make it like the CPS2 LCD that you can change things with the arrows..
Agree.

Amazing work!

I would like to see a web interface like chunksins netbooter that i can use on a phone/tablet or similar, but an LCD would also work well.

Questions for people:

If I where to make a dedicated board for a Pi, how would people want to select the maps/games that this should start?

- I could include some dip switches which would allow you to switch between maps, for example an Aimtrak for Lindbergh games or a USB wheel for Naomi games etc. There could be folders on the root of the sd card named 0001 and 0101 etc. which would be read for the maps/roms dependent on the dip switch position.
- I could include an lcd screen with some switches, but I'd really rather not do this as it makes the cost bigger and its more likely to break.
- I could just make it so you have 1 map and 1 rom in the root of a readable partition on the SD card and you just pop it into your computer to change it?
- I could just make instructions on how to adapt the current Pi Netboot solution with the LCD, so that my software was selectable from that LCD, and you just had to add in the sync wire.
- I could make it have a web page, where you can select the game and configuration etc. which remains upon reboot.
My vote is for options 4 and 5. I already have a pi netboot solution, so if you could use the existing screen, that'd be easiest for me. Would prefer not to have to buy another screen if possible.

And having a web interface would be nice as it'd be easy to add another netboot setup without having to buy another screen =)

Option 1 sounds slightly cumbersome to set up and would have to keep a list of switch settings handy.
Option 2 could work, but I already have a screen. ^^
Option 3 having this as an option could be nice, but I'd rather have the ability to have multiple roms on one card and not have to pop the sd card out

Back