What's new

DoktorSleepless

Professional
Reaction score
I intend to consolize a Naomi. Ideally, it'd take 2 USB controllers (PS3/PS4 fightsticks), a common power cable (Like the one you use on an ATX PSU, or maybe even a barrel plug), and output over HDMI. I THINK I have the HDMI part sorted, but I'm not sure how much lag it produces. Worst-case, that'll just be a job for the OSSC.

I have the Naomi motherboard, a NetDIMM with a null PIC, and that's pretty much it. Everything else has left me absolutely confused. Does anyone have any suggestions for which I/O board and PSU would be ideal for this use case?

I've been looking around for days for a how-to or best practices or anything like that, and either my Google-fu is weak, or it doesn't exist. (In the event a how-to or similar document doesn't actually exist, I'll happily document what I'm doing for future use, provided it works)

Thanks in advance. :D
Also, if this is the wrong subforum for this, I apologize. I wasn't sure if it should go in projects or here.

A couple forum members posted their consolized Naomi setups here:

Consolized Saturn Naomi
Consolized Sega Naomi

You can use Undamned's USB decoder to interface the Naomi to modern arcade sticks. If you want to fit the PSU internally, you have no other choice than a PicoPSU. No idea what specific model you could get, never seen one myself. Of course, you'll also need an I/O board (not the Capcom or ver2 Sega since they won't fit) and a Raspberry Pi with Pi-Force-Tools.

Disclaimer: I'm no Naomi expert, I'm just starting to build my setup myself. Good luck for your project ^^

That first one is EXACTLY what I need, minus the Saturn controller ports. I'll have to see what I can learn from it. I don't know how I missed that one. Thank you so much.

Maybe I can bug him for a parts list and/or detailed diagram. I'm not exactly the most handy man on Earth.

I used the Sega 838-13683-02 JVS to Jamma I/O in my build, but the Sega 838-13683-93 would do the same job.
I just needed to remove the CN7 analog connector in order to fit it beneath the Naomi motherboard.

For power i would maybe look at an ATX breakout board to use alongside a Pico style PSU (still recommend HD Plex, but the style i used is no longer available).

Pair that with something like this:

599px-Atxpsudevboard.JPG

Last edited:
Oh hey, I didn't actually have to bother you. That's perfect. I have just one more question:

With the HDPlex PSU you linked, is there a major downside to it compared to the one you used?

Thanks for the help with this, I don't know what I'd have done without you guys.

Now I just have to wait for the post office to stop dragging its feet.

With the HDPlex PSU you linked, is there a major downside to it compared to the one you used?
Just the form factor by the look of it... would need to be mounted differently to mine of course.
The on-board components look the same and the build quality is really good (previous model at least).
I pair mine with a really beefy HP laptop power supply and haven't noticed any issues running a RPi / NetDimm setup on top of that.
Just make sure not to strangle things with thin wiring!

Just make sure not to strangle things with thin wiring!
I've noticed that being stressed a lot in other threads. I'm no electrical expert, so I might come back in a week or two with more questions. I hope that's not an inconvenience or annoyance.

I plan to extensively document the whole thing as I go for a couple of reasons.

1) Get something as close to "best practices" as possible documented in one place.
2) When I make a rookie mistake (Because I am a rookie, this is the first arcade hardware I've bought, and the first thing I've ever modded), you guys will hopefully catch it and ask me what the hell I was thinking.

Again, I can't thank you enough. It's appreciated.

As new parts come in, new questions come to mind:

Would 20AWG wire be enough, or should I go higher to 18 or even 16? The screw terminal blocks I'm using claim to support 12-28 GA wire.

Would speaker wire, being pure copper with a thick jacket (Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Audiopipe-Ga...ie=UTF8&qid=1526336796&sr=1-3&keywords=20+AWG ) work, or do I need something more specialized? If so, where would be the best place to get it?

Sorry if I'm being a pain in the ass, I just want to be sure I get this right the first time.

I'm not an expert in wire selection - I bought an ATX PSU male to female extension like this:

ATX-24-Pin-Male-to-24-Pin-Female.jpg

Cables were specified as 18AWG, I used the female connector to mate with my HDPlex PSU and the colour co-ordination helped me keep track of everything.

Gotcha. Bought a few feet of 18AWG wire. It should be more than I need. Once all this comes in, I'll start with the progress pics! :D

XuTox1n.jpg

Not bad for a first soldering job, I guess. Starting to make progress. It's going to be slow, as I don't have a lot of time, but it's better than nothing. More next Wednesday, I suppose.

Looks good.
I wired power to both of the 5v and 3.3v pins and 3x of the Gnd points.

Alright, wiring is done on the power end, but I've hit a few roadblocks that I'm not sure how to solve. One is the placement of all of this extra material in the case. I don't think I have enough clearance. Second is the replacement fan I ordered. I grabbed the silent fan, but from what I'm reading, the pinout isn't the same between the filterboard and the fan. Apparently something needs to change somewhere?

You don't necessarily need to plug the case fan into the filterboard. Just hook it up to 12v and Gnd and you'll be good.
I actually removed it along with the CN12 +5v connector to reduce the number of live pins on the outside of the case.

Which parts are you struggling to place? I had to remove the CN7 connector to fit in the Jamma I/O i used...

Last edited:
You don't necessarily need to plug the case fan into the filterboard. Just hook it up to 12v and Gnd and you'll be good.
I actually removed it along with the CN12 +5v connector to reduce the number of live pins on the outside of the case.

Which parts are you struggling to place? I had to remove the CN7 connector to fit in the Jamma I/O i used...
I thought the system wouldn't boot if the case fan wasn't connected, or am I mixing this up with one of the other fans again?

As for the parts I can't get to fit, I think the ATX breakout is too tall. I ordered the one you pictured above. The HDPLEX PSU linking directly to it might be causing some of those issues. I'm ordering an extension so I can stuff the PSU right in front of the fan, and MAYBE fix the clearance issue.

I grabbed the silent fan, but from what I'm reading, the pinout isn't the same between the filterboard and the fan. Apparently something needs to change somewhere?
The case fan is fine. It's the GPU fan that you need to swap to of the cores on.
First time Naomi Owner, coming from 1979 Gottlieb Pinball repair
Good stuff. Thanks. :D I wasn't sure, and didn't want to risk blowing this thing up the instant I try to power it on.

As for the parts I can't get to fit, I think the ATX breakout is too tall. I ordered the one you pictured above. The HDPLEX PSU linking directly to it might be causing some of those issues. I'm ordering an extension so I can stuff the PSU right in front of the fan, and MAYBE fix the clearance issue.
Will it mount upside-down on some standoffs? Place the bulkier end over the mail case fan well?

Back