What's new

fdasta0079

Beginner
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good dolly (or other method) to move arcade machines around. I'm going to have to move my Virtua Fighter machine soon, and getting it into the house using my $70 Home Depot dolly was a complete shitshow. I was looking into getting a vending machine dolly like this guy, but if anybody has any advice on the matter it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I've never tried that one but it looks very similar to the one I paid $600 for (and love it). The back wheels that come down for you to lay it back on is a life and back saver.

What You need to look for is a Vending Machine Dolly. It's similar to an "Appliance Dolly" but generally beefier. I used to use these to move Coin Op Soda machines which can weight up to 1000lbs without any problem.

The one you linked to is decent, with the back legs down they look like this:
71S-yUogWxL._SL1500_.jpg

So the two key features here are the built in strap that you can use to wrap around the machine and tie it to the dolly (so it doesn't tip off). and the smaller support wheels on the back, those lock into place allowing you to just tip the machine back and pull it along without having to support the weight while you use it.

Also notice that the handles are really tall you can get these at different heights, you want one that's about as tall as the machine you're moving so that the back is fully supported and you can grab the top of the handle from above the machine (this is key if you're moving up or down stairs). Also notice the plastic rails covering the metal so that the dolly doesn't scratch up your cab.

the oval tread looking things on the bottom are there to help you slide up and over stairs.

I bought mine used for $50, so definitely check around. it took me a few months of looking before one popped up, so depending in your time table you may not have that option.

Of course there are also super fancy ones that automatically climb stairs or act like a fork lift to load into trucks.. but these usually cost a few grand.

Thanks, guys. I'm probably gonna go with the one I linked, then. It seemed to have all the necessary features at a decent price. My dream would be one of those electric stair-climbing ones, but they're suuuuper expensive and I've read a bunch of horror stories about them giving out at inopportune times.

i would have agreed until i had to move some cabs through soft soil.
True but I would say this is less normal than having a solid surface. How about a dolly with hard tires and two sheets of plywood just in case? ;)

Don't think inflatable tires would help you. I have over-inflated my tires with my air compressor. The cab still flattens those tires with its weight.

Don't think inflatable tires would help you. I have over-inflated my tires with my air compressor. The cab still flattens those tires with its weight.
it helped when moving the ddr cab. The hard rubber dolly just dug itself in but the guy had an oversized dolly with inflatable wheels and we were able to push it up the hill.

it goes both ways with tyres,
i like hard tires for bumping up/down stairs - fucking deadly if your tyres are too big to sit on each step!!
but if your pulling over a rough carpark or uneven paving air/foam-filled tyres dont shake the shit out of the cab!

My soft-tire dolly did well when we were moving the cab through the yard of the dude we bought it from, but when it came to getting it into the house it was a nightmare. I think both definitely serve their purposes, though. I'll probably just have both on me whenever I pick up another cab, just in case. Never thought of the plywood thing, though. That's a good idea.

Back