What's new

Fredo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys

Here is my lastest completed project, hacking some small "plug and play" Golden Tee Golf - Home Edition trackballs to work with SegaSonic the Hedgehog.

setup.jpg

Here is the original controller
GoldenTeeGolfHE.jpg

They are quite cheap, both in price and conception, but should work fine for a casual use. They are much easier to get than other console trackball controllers and you can guess they won't have been use used a lot.

They are extremely easy to hack, as the directions are written directly on the PCB, this is where you can solder:
hackPCB.jpg

UP = YB
DOWN = YA
LEFT= XA
RIGHT= XB
Brown wire = +5V
Brown and white wire = GND

The buttons are quite good, yet a bit hard. Guess what, they are exactly 24mm in diameter, perfect for Sanwa buttons. :P
24mm2.jpg

He is my Jamma adapter for the trackballs:
adapt_jamma_fini.jpg

JammaPinout.png
IOboardPinout.jpg

As my PCB was equipped with a Sega System 16 IO board, only two players could play, as the original board is "incomplete"
control_board.jpg

Adding the missing components made the third player work !

Adding the missing D4701AC, the A472J resistor and shunting the filters:

D4701ACin.jpg
A472J.jpg
shun_flt.jpg

And BAM ! the third player works !
3Pgood.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, didn't see there was a "consolized" section, please delete this thread :/

Well done! I was planning on a similar project if a System 32 Multi ever materializes.

Well done! I was planning on a similar project if a System 32 Multi ever materializes.
I don't know about Multi System 32, but you can make converts, as the games have been decrypted and can work without the suicide battery ;)

I know about the converts - I picked up a Spider-Man board A few months ago with the intention of converting, but I ended up trading it. Need to hit up Yahoo Japan at some point for another System 32 board.

Is your SegaSonic a conversion @Fredo?

I know about the converts - I picked up a Spider-Man board A few months ago with the intention of converting, but I ended up trading it. Need to hit up Yahoo Japan at some point for another System 32 board.

Is your SegaSonic a conversion @Fredo?
No, it is an original de-suicided board :)

Where did you find an extra D4701AC? If I recall guru has a repro design for the trackball board but those parts are super scarce. He was looking for a source or a modern chip equivalent.

Where did you find an extra D4701AC? If I recall guru has a repro design for the trackball board but those parts are super scarce. He was looking for a source or a modern chip equivalent.
It was indeed a pain in the butt to find where to buy a single unit. I managed to find a chinese electronics website to buy one. It costed me $4 USD + $8US shipping costs, it was a total blind bet as I never heard of that site whatsoever, but they did indeed shipped it.

Unfortunately, I can't find that site anymore. Even the paypal receipt does not mention it, it only mentions "Cai Linyan" as the seller. Go ahead and find anything with that...

Well if it's easier to buy 50 units from somewhere, lemme know where that is!

This is mega awesome, and as mentioned above IF a System32 multi ever materializes I'd be all about it.

The problem with converting a System32 game around here is Spider-man is the most common...
And in terms of gameplay/enjoyability it blows SegaSonic away!
Sure being a huge Sonic fan I want to play everything, but to anyone who has actually played it, yea it's just NOT a very good game IMO.

System32 multicart where are you! :D

System32 multicart where are you!
I don't know why everyone is so interested in a System 32 multi... looking at the games list it's got a pretty weak line up:

The Sonic Game that requires a trackball for some reason:
Segasonic The Hedgehog

Beat Em Ups
Arabian Fight
Golden Axe : The Revenge of Death Adder
Spiderman

Crappy Fighting Games
Burning Rival
Dark Edge
Dragon Ball Z V.R.V.S.
Holosseum

Who cares:
Soreike Kokorogy 2
Super Visual Football / Super Visual Soccer / The J.League 1994

You're not going to play these on your cab:
Air Rescue
Alien 3 The Gun
F1 Exhaust Note
F1 Super Lap
Jurassic Park
Rad Mobile / Gale Racer
Rad Rally
Slipstream

I think most people only care about sonic and the beat-em ups... and if you're Ekorz you care about the crappy fighting games...

Personally I'm planning on making Spiderman, Sonic and Golden Axe conversions since nothing else here interests me. I mean if there's a cheap multi I'll pick it up just to play around with the crappy fighters but there are many other platforms that need a multi more than system 32. Heck even System 18 despite having fewer games has more titles I'd like to see on a multi than system 32.

Spider-man and Golden Axe 2 are the must haves on System32 for sure.
But Arabian Fight is fun, Rad Mobile (it would need a special controller/consolization) is awesome, SegaSonic is "iconic" for lack of a better term...

Oh and yea, if you are @ekorz Burning Rival, Dark Edge, Dragon Ball. ;)

Look at it this way... I spent a bunch on a CPS3, SIMMs enough to run 3rd Strike and a Darksoft SuperBIOS cart/conversion.
The only game I really play on that setup is 3rd Strike. :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm here for Alien 3: The Gun and Jurassic Park. Have a Golden Axe 2, which is awesome. Only played Spiderman a couple of times, but it was fun.

Very nice work. I'd love to have a SegaSonic one day. That's one pricey PCB you have there ;)

Well if it's easier to buy 50 units from somewhere, lemme know where that is!
Chinese manufacturers seem to be able to provide such quantities. But of course, I did not try.

https://m.french.alibaba.com/p-deta...nguage=french&detailId=60700778642&redirect=1

As far as I am concerned, I do not plan on buying other Sega System 32 games. The games available do not interrest me that much.

I wanted this one because I am a big Sonic fan, I had the money, the skill and the will to build all this up so I will be able to share it in some gaming conventions :)

Thank you all guys <3

I think most people only care about sonic and the beat-em ups... and if you're Ekorz you care about the crappy fighting games...
let's be honest. I took my burning rival and promptly converted it into a GA2!! Dark edge is novel from a historical standpoint... doing "3D" with sprite scaling. Anyway I just like the idea of having the full library. And maybe I miss my J League!

Last edited:
very nice mod to add 3p :D

oh the game list is missing "where's waldo" , I have it, I need to give a try just for laughs...

Back