What's new

suverman

Bulti Moyz
Grand Master
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure if this the place to ask:

I was thinking how can one "see" in bitmap or any other mp format the contents of a RAM which holds graphics?

This is regarding the fantastic simulator Monaco GP Remake by Geekab which uses Monaco GP roms.
I was thinking if I could extract the graphic files from the Super Speed Race game and use it instead of the Monaco GP roms, I could achieve changes in the car and the background graphics.
Geekab has been out of the forum for sometime so never managed to ask him.

Am I being stupid? If not can anyone point me to link or a person?

Best regards
Suv

Usually you have to make your own tools depending on the graphic format used. Your best bet is MAME which allows to see the contents in RAM and ROM. You propbably want to change the content in ROM which is then copied into Video Ram independently of the CPU, so actually in most modern games, the content doesnt go through the CPU at all (it will slow down things a lot).

Hi,

I was thinking how can one "see" in bitmap or any other mp format the contents of a RAM which holds graphics?

This is regarding the fantastic simulator Monaco GP Remake by Geekab which uses Monaco GP roms.
I was thinking if I could extract the graphic files from the Super Speed Race game and use it instead of the Monaco GP roms, I could achieve changes in the car and the background graphics.

Best regards
Suv
If you know how data are stored (parallel or serial) then just merge files and use tile tools like DirectEd Tile Editor.

Hi,

Best regards
Suv
If you know how data are stored (parallel or serial) then just merge files and use tile tools like DirectEd Tile Editor.
Thanks for the clue - I shall check out that tool!

I think I lack a lot of knowledge here, I tried DirectTed and cycled through the different pallets, the graphics looked garbage.

Basically I am trying to extract the Super Speed Race graphics. There seems to be 3 x 2KB graphics ROM, I tried ROM Wizard too for some reason everything is garbled.

Attachments

• ssr.jpg
    ssr.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 154
caius thanks I can see the sprites for the cars with the MAME GFX/TileMap viewer. But I cannot see any for the background. Do you know how I could view the background tiles as well?

Back