What's new
cant wait for this!! I have both a 256 and 246 ready to go!

EPIC POST OF AMAZINGNESS
First off, thank you for the absolutely epic post.

There's a gentleman on AO who has a Taiko cab who has 14, and I believe 12 Asian. There are all of 2 threads maybe on there regarding Taiko cabs, so it should be quick to find. I want to say his username was jalpert, but that's off of memory. I'll try and check when I figure out my AO password, lol.
This post is epic. Why don't you open a new thread with information about this system and you can update as soon as more things are known.Also you can open presales for your multi if you so wish.
Seconding this. I'd throw money at you now. XD
Thirding this. Do not want to miss out.

Yeah- I sold Jalpert a number of my Taiko spares while he was waiting for his 14 machine to arrive. In theory, we're supposed to be working out a deal so I can borrow his dongle for documentation, but understandably, he's a bit attached to the game at the moment :)

I sent him the bootleg taiko 11 asian version he references for him to test on actual hardware, to make sure it wasn't something inherent to the IO board, but alas, its an NVRAM setting that is queried by the game.

Since then, this difference between JP and ASIAN 256's has been tracked down, and it's now possible to create "asian" 256's, however, actually modifying the game itself would be preferable in the long run as an "asian" 256 will not load taiko 11-14 Japanese versions.

Don't worry, I doubt anyone will miss out on my first run of 50, I'm just not the kind of person who wants to make promises without the entire process sorted out before I start taking orders.

As a heads up/spoiler, the system by which games are prepared and loaded operates much closer to the Naomi CF adapter method than a true multicart.

Please keep me posted if anyone happens upon any of the other remaining game versions listed.

Thanks!

Update - I've personally managed to hack Taiko 11 Asian to run on non-Asian 256's.

Well, that was quick!
Even though there's some unknown run length type compression used on the TEBGAME file to prevent direct hacking, the 8 bytes that's being searched for in the NVRAM are in present in the clear (although separated by an 0xFE that has been added as part of the compression, but is NOT present in the RAM dump of the elf). I replaced these 8 bytes with 0xFF to match the blank data as found in a normal 256 and it's been running stable and happily for the last hour.

Well, that was quick!
Even though there's some unknown run length type compression used on the TEBGAME file to prevent direct hacking, the 8 bytes that's being searched for in the NVRAM are in present in the clear (although separated by an 0xFE that has been added as part of the compression, but is NOT present in the RAM dump of the elf). I replaced these 8 bytes with 0xFF to match the blank data as found in a normal 256 and it's been running stable and happily for the last hour.
That's amusing. Glad to hear you got it running!

In regards to your having said that it doesn't matter how hard you hit the drum in TnT, that /shouldn't/ be true. There are hard hit notes and normal hit notes and if the cab is calibrated properly then it should recognize hard from soft and not count soft hits on hard notes if that makes sense.

In regards to your having said that it doesn't matter how hard you hit the drum in TnT, that /shouldn't/ be true. There are hard hit notes and normal hit notes and if the cab is calibrated properly then it should recognize hard from soft and not count soft hits on hard notes if that makes sense.
If that's the case, then digital controls won't work...
I'm really BAD at the game anyhow, but reading the english directions seems to indicate nothing about hardness, just the following:
- small red dots are single stick strikes to the middle left and right
- big red dots are double stick hits to the middle left and right
- small blue are single to the rim left and right
- big blue are double to the rim left and right

I'm not really seeing anything to indicate hardness of strikes as part of this.
The main reason analog is used is because of the way the sensors work - if there's a byproduct of this used as a gameplay element that's good to know though...

Can I get some confirmation either way?

I'll try and find where I had been reading that. Someone was saying that you can set the threshold for normal hits vs hard hits in settings on... one of these forums...

The one at the local arcade is so completely out of whack that it registers 3/4 sensors on every hit no matter where you hit on the drum, so confirming via play isn't really an option on my end...

On the upswing, I found an entire drum assembly and will be purchasing it :D. Only thing I'll be missing is the I/O PCB that goes between the drum and the 256..

It IS true that you can configure the thresholds, the sensors are more or less variable resistors.

Very cool about finding a full drum- From the schematics, each of the 4 drum sensors connects to Analog GND on one side, and analog output on the other. These analog outputs should have a pullup to Analog VCC, and these can then be connected directly to the Analog inputs on a normal JVS IO such as the SEGA's.

It IS true that you can configure the thresholds, the sensors are more or less variable resistors.

Very cool about finding a full drum- From the schematics, each of the 4 drum sensors connects to Analog GND on one side, and analog output on the other. These analog outputs should have a pullup to Analog VCC, and these can then be connected directly to the Analog inputs on a normal JVS IO such as the SEGA's.
Does the Namco IO lack analog input? Is that why there's a PCB that the drums connect to normally?

The namco IO most commonly associated with the 246/256 is a JAMMA interface board with a kick harness pins, but ONLY digital I/O.
This is why you will need a JVS I/O with analog pins - sega, namco, taiko, cap com etc.

The pcb that normally is used with taiko appears to be custom for the game with digital I/O for the service menu, and analog for the drums, but unlike the 3-pin analog channels on the sega I/O boards (gnd, variable voltage, and vcc), the namco inputs are 2-pin only (gnd, resistance)

The namco IO most commonly associated with the 246/256 is a JAMMA interface board with a kick harness pins, but ONLY digital I/O.
This is why you will need a JVS I/O with analog pins - sega, namco, taiko, cap com etc.

The pcb that normally is used with taiko appears to be custom for the game with digital I/O for the service menu, and analog for the drums, but unlike the 3-pin analog channels on the sega I/O boards (gnd, variable voltage, and vcc), the namco inputs are 2-pin only (gnd, resistance)
Well when it gets here I'll be very interested in seeing if there's any way to get the game up and running with an official controller and Sega IO over analog.

If by "official controller", you mean the drum, I can draw you some schematics that should do the trick.
I'd personally recommend grabbing one of Mitsurugi's helper PCB's to assist in the setup.

Heading to bed at the moment, catch you all later.

If by "official controller", you mean the drum, I can draw you some schematics that should do the trick.
I'd personally recommend grabbing one of Mitsurugi's helper PCB's to assist in the setup.

Yes, that's what I meant. Mitsurugi's PCB is on my "to-buy" list.

Defor, how would you go about wiring a PlayStation 2 Taiko drum controller via a DB25 to Mitsurugi-W's JVS Helper PCB? Do you happen to know which pins the 4 drum hits would need to be wired to?

I'm curious to know if the 256 is fine booting Taiko with just a single drum attached. Have you got just the one in your setup, Defor?

I'm curious to know if the 256 is fine booting Taiko with just a single drum attached. Have you got just the one in your setup, Defor?
All you need is to have a Namco, Sega, or Capcom I/O attached to the 256 and Taiko will boot into the game. It doesn't look for any type of controller being actually attached to the I/O.

All you need is to have a Namco, Sega, or Capcom I/O attached to the 256 and Taiko will boot into the game. It doesn't look for any type of controller being actually attached to the I/O.
I now realize how silly of a question that is since it doesn't care about it with any other game... T_T

Back