What's new
It seems the only method to know is trial and fail.
Some people have tried new crystals bought online and it didn't work.
On my side I used various crystal from everywhere (mainly pulled from scrap devices) and it has always worked.

That's an oscillator module. You feed it 5V (or 3V3 in some cases) and it will output a 5V (3V3) square wave that can drive a cmos or TTL input.

You also have normal xtal's that need to be connected to an oscillator circuit. Those usually only have 2 pin's and the case which is used as shield.

So, it depends upon what exactly you need. If it's a module, just check if it's operating voltage is correct.

If you originally needs an xtal, things are more complicated. Xtal's also have a capacitance value. If that's wrong it's possible that they refuse to oscillate. If you replace an xtal with an oscillator module, you need to find the output of the original oscillator output and connect the xtal to that point. (Disconnecting the original oscillator circuit).

Not really an answer to your question, I know.

You need to change 68000 10 to 12 mhz too i think (never try this modification, but i think this 68000 don't like to run @ 12mhz...... with no cooler :) :) )

Or i'm wrong ?

You need to change 68000 10 to 12 mhz too i think (never try this modification, but i think this 68000 don't like to run @ 12mhz...... with no cooler :) :) )

Or i'm wrong ?
shouldn’t be much of an issue for a Z80, otherwise you can install a Z80A to be safe I think

Z80 is the first to die when you've no sound..... put a z80A yes, i have done lot of time.
why you ask z80 ?
Z80 have is proper oscillator no need to upgrade.

If i understand, upgrade is for the 68000 @ 10mhz to 12.
You need change oscillator and the 68000 for a 12mhz.

Changing just the cristal is not a good way for your processor....
Just, if you want to kill your motherboard....

Original 12mhz dash A boards run the same processor than 10mhz, so same situation I would say

Really, my error then...
Thought Capcom used the same...

Anyone in the US want to offer conversion services? :) I've got a SF2'CE Rainbow hack coming, but it has a 10mhz short board on it... just thinking ahead for the multi.

What should we be looking for to be ready for the multi? Is it any CPS1 board with a 12mhz crystal will do?

I’d like to prep for the multi too!

From following the other threads I've seen recommended a 12mhz A Board and a B-21 on the C Board. Aka a properly done CE, HF, or Pang 3.

Or i'm wrong ?
Most 68k can support overclocking very well without any kind of heatsink. 10Mhz to 12Mhz is a 20% overclock, quite acceptable.
Have you seen those crazy Megadrive overclockings at twice the OG speed? Not a even a problem for the venerable 68k.

Hey @Apocalypse , do you have a link to a 12mhz crystal that we can try? Looks like the one in the first post is not the one to get.

I think someone tried it and the pcb wouldn't boot.

Back