What's new
Hey @Apocalypse , do you have a link to a 12mhz crystal that we can try? Looks like the one in the first post is not the one to get.
Why not just use a programmable crystal oscillator from Digikey? They will program whatever speed you want for a small fee
I honestly don't know why not...*shrug*... never even heard of this before. tbh, I'm still an electronics novice, I can solder through-hole components and crimp/wire all types of cable configurations, but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge. I'm an artist first and foremost, so i'm good with my hands, but the technical stuff isn't my forte at all. This is why I rely on forums like this to find information from the smarter guys.

Hey @Apocalypse , do you have a link to a 12mhz crystal that we can try? Looks like the one in the first post is not the one to get.
I don't know, I just use what I have in my parts stock.
Would you happen to have a couple spares you can sell me?

what's not good with that one?
I haven't read anyone confirming that this one has worked out for them. Actually, I can't find any posts here that have anyone order a new crystal and have successful results. Which is why I'm asking if there is a confirmed working crystal that i can buy online, without having to salvage it from another board.

I guess like Apocalypse said, it’ll come down to trail and error. I’ll give this one a shot.

Bah, that listing doesn’t ship to the States. :(
Never mind, I’m an idiot.

Any oscillator 12MHz 14-PIN DIL will do the job.Like this for example:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/12Mhz-Cryst...736962?hash=item1a269965c2:g:aLYAAOSwMNxXXYLV

P.S.
Don't get confused, 14-PIN DIL is the industry-standard metal package and doesn't indicate the number of pins!Four are the pins but they are numbered 1-7-8-14:

Pin 1 no connection. Identified by dot or square corner on can
Pin 7 Gnd. Also connected to metal can
Pin 8 TLL/HCMOS clock output
Pin 14 V+ supply

Last edited:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/12Mhz-Cryst...736962?hash=item1a269965c2:g:aLYAAOSwMNxXXYLV

P.S.
Don't get confused, 14-PIN DIL is the industry-standard metal package and doesn't indicate the numder of pins!Four are the pins but they are numbered 1-7-8-14:

Pin 14 V+ supply
can you confirm this is a possible way to convert the old style mobo to a "dash" type? I eventually have some regular cps1 mobos that i would like to turn into dash types for b boards like sf2t and such

^Is this in reference to the longer A boards? I am also curious if there is possibly some greater component differences that would preclude upgrading those A boards.

P.S.
Don't get confused, 14-PIN DIL is the industry-standard metal package and doesn't indicate the numder of pins!Four are the pins but they are numbered 1-7-8-14:

Pin 14 V+ supply
can you confirm this is a possible way to convert the old style mobo to a "dash" type? I eventually have some regular cps1 mobos that i would like to turn into dash types for b boards like sf2t and such
Well, difference between the two revisions of shorter A-BOARDs are the 12MHz oscllator and 12MHZ 68000 CPU on the DASH one.As for the older longer A-BOARD, it should have the same design of shorter one but different layout due the use of thru-hole components.So, it should be not a problem to replace the 10MHz oscillator with a 12MHz one (being understood that you will slightly overclock the 10MHz 68000 CPU)

Last edited:
Can anyone measure the crystal for me in mm? I'm going to test some new ones from Mouser or Digikey. Will be much cheaper and I can list the part number for all.

Can anyone measure the crystal for me in mm? I'm going to test some new ones from Mouser or Digikey. Will be much cheaper and I can list the part number for all.
Here's the measurements on the one I linked above. Let me know if this doesn't give you what you need.

15mm pin-to-pin (long distance)
8mm pin-to-pin (short distance)
19mm length of base of enclosure
12mm width of base of enclosure
5mm height of enclosure

Cool. I'm ordering some samples.

This one should work according my ‘repair guy’:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.nl/ulk/itm/182794902287

Direct replacement for 12MHz boards he says, in theory should work on 10MHz boards as well...
Got these in the mail and installed them tonight on two boards. Turned out successful!

WmWaRMf.jpg

I can barely tell the difference in speed, I *think* Hyper Fighting is running smoother but it could be my eyes playing tricks on me. But after installing it I ran the boards for 2 hours and didn't find any problems or glitching/corruption. I'll run it longer and see how it holds up, or check if there's any extra heat discrepancies, but so far these are working perfectly.

@PascalP Thanks for the recommendation from your repair guy! I now have an upgraded "Dash" board, ready for that CPS1 Multi. ;) ;)

perfect, let us know how your prolonged testing goes ;)

I'll pass on the info to my repair guy as he never did a 10MHz to 12Mhz swap, he only replaced them with matching values before.
So he was curious as well how it turned out :)

Good.But not time for other testing? ;)
Other testing was already done! Sent you a KLOV PM. ;)

(I had time tonight to catch up on a bunch of projects!)

Other testing was already done! Sent you a KLOV PM. ;)
(I had time tonight to catch up on a bunch of projects!)
Ah, sorry I don't check KLOV regularly.That's great, thanks for your testing, I'm gonna to reply you there.

I ordered the crystals but is it possible to buy a 12MHZ 68000 CPU and change the 10hz one?

Back