What's new

nem

Legendary
Reaction score
Anyone here have insight into this machine? I might be picking up one. More than likely it will have issues.

From what I've gathered inside is a regular Dell Optiplex with an Athlon 64 X2, 2GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GT730 and a WD HDD.

The install DVD (v1.56, the latest) can be purchased from Raw Thrills for 20 bucks. An earlier version of it can be found online with a simple google search. I've reached out to Raw Thrills to see if they have a list of version changes. Naturally the DVD is useless without a dongle.

Apparently, there's also an image of the HD somewhere online.

Well, I picked it up. Not sure what's supposed to be wrong with it as it seems to run fine. The plexi marquee was trashed, and a new one from Betson costs almost $300 bucks. I think I'll manage without one.

Raw Thrills answered my email considering the update disc. The only updates have been to accommodate new hardware drivers. I guess you can install this game onto different hardware than what is stock in these machines (the Dell PC). I might try it at some point.

Oh, and the guitars weigh a ton.

not familiar with these cabs, so some pics would be cool :)

Stock pic. Mine is missing the pop out marquee.

Attachments

• huge_guitar_hero.jpg
    huge_guitar_hero.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:
Stock pic. Mine is missing the pop out marquee.
I have this machine. I'm a kids dentist and it is in our office. We had to wire in headphones and disable the flashing lights so it wouldn't be so obtrusive, but it is awesome and the kids love it. Just last week it stopped booting up. I think the power supply in the optiplex 740 died. I ordered a new one and will install it this week and see if that fixes it.

Attachments

• guitar hero.jpg
    guitar hero.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
I believe the PC runs Win XP embedded, so it likely only has hardware requirements based around the embedded drivers.
Everything else (like PSU, RAM) should be swappable I would imagine.

For the pop out marquee I just vectorized the logo and went to the local printers to make backlit print out of it:

gha.jpg

The pic isn't great, it looks fine in person.

Anyway, the monitor on mine doesn't power on every time. I think the PSU for it needs a recap. The monitor is a Wells.

Other than that, it runs great and people seem to like it. I've made worse purchases!

welp, bad news. I installed the new power supply in the Optiplex 740 and... nothing. Still doesnt boot at all. So at this point I assume the motherboard is dead? I don't see a power indicator LED on the board, but if it has one it certainly isn't lighting up. The computer doesn't do anything when I plug it in and press the power button. Any other ideas?

Did you ever get your guitar hero working ?

Mine has been going strong for the last year and a half. Only some small issues with it:

The monitor still doesn't turn on every time. I recapped the power board for it, but it didn't make a lick of difference. I'll probably replace it with a modern LCD at some point.

The guitars connect by USB and one of the cables frayed inside the hose. Cut the end of a regular USB cable I had lying around and soldered it to the guitar end.

I might try to install the game on a SSD to see if the loading times would be affected, but honestly, it's not too bad. Groove Coaster is way worse.

Anyway, people seem to really like it. Apparently, it's nostalgic :S

It’s a great machine for sure. I have a machine right now but the seller did not provide the USB dongle. Been looking to grab one or sell the parts I have. Kinda bummed out I wish I would have checked it first.

anyone able to dump the dng from one? I have an extra hasp dongle that I can write it to

Hydreigon said:
Those HASP dongles, USB or Parallel, are straight up garbage. Eventually when these dongles start to deteriorate, the only way of repair is to install a hacked version of the respective game on the main storage unit.
I said this on Klov before so I may as well say it here.

I found a dongle. Question though. I am finding some songs that seem to slow down and then speed up. Is that part of the game or am I experiencing issues?

I am finding some songs that seem to slow down and then speed up. Is that part of the game or am I experiencing issues?
What songs? I can check on the weekend.

Also, apologies, I completely missed your question on the dimensions.

Bottom to the top of main cabinet: 1660mm

topper dimensions: 955mm wide, 480mm high, 235mm deep

All good. Thank you. For sure almost easy by avenged sevenfold.

in fact I think all the songs I tried did the same thing. I have the latest recovery disk. I heard from tech support it had issues with some video cards. I thought I would ask first before I start swapping out cards

Turns out it was my video card. Replaced it and now running perfect

Just wanted to say a BIG THANKS to Nem!

I had the same issue - broken marquee and reading this forum helped me heaps.

I did the same as him but I put in some colour changing LED lights. Looks great!

Thank you Nem!

Attachments

• IMG_5626.jpg
    IMG_5626.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 264
Reactions: nem
Looking good!

The CMOS battery on mine died and the game booted to a "CMOS low voltage" error, "press F2 to skip". Swapped in a new battery and everything runs great again. Didn't have to mess with the BIOS settings at all.

Back