What's new
I should be able to share pilot kids and zero gunner at some stage
oh I'm all about that! Those were on both Model 2A and 2B right? I'd be after the 2B versions if you release them; unless of course you have both :)

I'd buy a Model 2B multi if someone made one.
out of all the different "Model" hadware versions the 2B has the best line up of joystick games:
Dead or Alive
Dynamite Cop
Fighting Vipers
Last Bronx
Pilot Kids
Sonic Championship
Virtua Striker
Zero Gunner

I should be able to share pilot kids and zero gunner at some stage
oh I'm all about that! Those were on both Model 2A and 2B right? I'd be after the 2B versions if you release them; unless of course you have both :)
I'd buy a Model 2B multi if someone made one.
out of all the different "Model" hadware versions the 2B has the best line up of joystick games:
Dead or Alive
Dynamite Cop
Fighting Vipers
Last Bronx
Pilot Kids
Sonic Championship
Virtua Striker
Zero Gunner
Hacks to 'clean and share'
One cannot pick the version, but yeh they are for 2b :)

The 'mod' may be ported to others no idea, not looked at it
(and not got working hardware to test)

It's a shame arcademodbios is a dick / it has to be this way.

I've never seen anyone port any of the Model 2 games to the other Model 2 variants. No idea what is involved, there are a few games that were available across multiple platforms (Dynamite Cop was on 2A, 2B and 2C) so maybe there are some clues?

If you were going to spend the time on it I would think moving Virtua Fighter 2 from Model 2A to Model 2B would be the most useful.

• According to the manual in my rom kit, the only difference between Dead or Alive on model 2A and model 2B are the two program roms.
  • Epr 19310 and Epr 19311 for model 2A ,
  • Epr 19370 and Epr 19380 for model 2B

I had a quick look last night...

And got his 10 opcode patch down to one opcode, and also patched dead or alive (took 5 mins)
The patches will not take long to port to the other romsets (2A / 2C)

Just awaiting hardware testing now and they are good to go :)

EDIT:
Yes it's only the program roms that differ if the game was released on 2 platforms.

I'm curious what the actual differences are between the 2A 2B and 2C hardware that necessitates different program code. is it just memory mapping or is there something else?

So now that I have a Model 3 Step 2 game, who would know the going rate for a conversion? I hope it is nothing ridiculous.

You're going to spend close to $40 just in EPROMs alone.

ROM boards seem to go in the 60-120 range unless you're going to convert the rom board you'very got.

If the issue is getting ROM chips to burn that would not be an issue for me. I think the questions that come to my mind are:

1. If I burn these ROMs, will they work work with the security board for donor game, or do I have to remove it (the games have been patch to work without security?) And....
  2. In the event I do this (I still need to see if the donor game is fully working,) do the ROMs work well enough if I add sockets to the ROM board?
Are these conversion ROMs available by looking hard for them, or are these only kept by previously mentioned people and only given out for a price?

On a side note, which game would be considered sacrilegious to perform such a conversion?

Thanks @twistedsymphony for any and all information on this.

If I burn these ROMs, will they work work with the security board for donor game, or do I have to remove it (the games have been patch to work without security?) And....
Not all games have security or require patching. For those that do, the patched ROMs that remove security are not publicly available to my knowledge. AFAIK AMB is the only one selling them at the moment and I wouldn't recommend using that service. Alternatively Andy Geezer can do security board conversions, so you send him your donor security board and he can convert it to your target game, and then you can use the original protected ROMs.

In the event I do this (I still need to see if the donor game is fully working,) do the ROMs work well enough if I add sockets to the ROM board?
The ROM boards are already socketed. This conversion would be absolute hell otherwise as there are 41 EPROMs that need to be burned (hence why I said the EPROMs alone would cost you at least $40... probably closer to double that as they're mostly 27C322).

What is your donor board and what game are you trying to convert to?

I recently bought a converted LA Machineguns (model 3) ROM board, and a converted GunBlade NY (Model 2) from Yaton on eBay.
not sure if these games normally have security but if they do I could dump the Program ROMs.

Man model 3 has something stupid like 40 EPROMs... that'll take me all day to convert. thankfully they're all socketed,

Last edited:
I'm trying to convert is VS2 '99 to Fighting Vipers 2.
Fighting Vipers 2 has a security board so you'll either need to wait for someone to release patched ROMs or find someone to convert your security PCB.

IIRC the way the security works is the game will run for about a minute and then lock up if the security board is absent. So you could get to writing all the ROMs and then figure out what you're going to do from there.

So I need to order some 27C322 chips then, and burn the MAME set? Should I get the unbranded it the ones from ST Microelectronics? Do the come in anything other than 100nS? Will I need any 16 variants?

I haven't done this conversion myself but I'd suspect 100ns would be fine. as for brand I just buy whatever I can get cheapest. and I have no idea what you mean by 16 variants.

Gunblade has no security, the other not sure.

If you want it fast best going to andy geezer, he will do all the roms for you also.

Protection easy or not it's gonna be brutal on the debugger.

Update: the dream is on hold. I was quoted £250ish for the whole work. I then asked about just converting the security board, and I'm still waiting for a response.

It looks like I'm holding on to this board till it's more freely available to do conversions. I'm not desperate to do the conversion. I can wait...

Back