What's new

Blackfish

Professional
Reaction score
Need a few IC's to replace original MVS Bios chips

I have a couple of MVS MV1FZ boards with failed BIOS chips. I'm looking for a replacement for the stock Toshiba TC531024P-15. These seem to be basically no longer available.

Am I correct that the 27c210 IC's are replacements for these? These also seem hard to find or quite expensive. What are the current replacement chips used for things like the UNIBIOS and where is the best place to find these?

Any help is appreciated!

Am I correct that the 27c210 IC's are replacements for these? These also seem hard to find or quite expensive. What are the current replacement chips used for things like the UNIBIOS and where is the best place to find these?
I believe I used a 27c1024 to program my bios which should be equivalent to the 27c210 and much cheaper/easier to find.

27C1024 is the EPROM replacement. I have a couple spare and I'm coming to Auckland on Friday if you would like me to burn and bring one. Can be original or UniBIOS.

I've also got at least 1 spare original mask ROM if you'd prefer the mask ROM.

27C1024 is the EPROM replacement. I have a couple spare and I'm coming to Auckland on Friday if you would like me to burn and bring one. Can be original or UniBIOS.

I've also got at least 1 spare original mask ROM if you'd prefer the mask ROM.
Thanks for the offer, I have a burner and am always keen to try and do things myself. I have ordered a bunch of 27C1024's. I'm in no rush, I have a couple of working boards. I'm just trying to get started in repairing PCB's. Always keen for a point in the right direction though.

I hope you aren't coming to Auckland to pillage our limited arcade pcb's. :D

Slightly off topic, but do most Neo Geo motherboards come with socketed BIOS chips? Or is that something you generally need to de-solder yourself to replace?

Slightly off topic, but do most Neo Geo motherboards come with socketed BIOS chips? Or is that something you generally need to de-solder yourself to replace?
older MVS units have socketed bios, newer ones (such as the 1AX, 1B and 1C) do not.

If my memory serves me you can also just fill a 27c4096 with the rom (just 4x the rom so it fills the space), i.e.

cat rom rom rom rom > newrom.bin

I don't really bother buying 1024s anymore because of this, since 4096s are much cheaper it seems.

I have a small stockpile of OG bioses if you really need one or two, but I'd just burn something if I were you :)

What's a good, cheap EPROM programmer that supports the 27C1024? I'm a hobbyist with an electronics background, and I'm trying to get more deeply involved with Retro Console repairs & such.

What's a good, cheap EPROM programmer that supports the 27C1024? I'm a hobbyist with an electronics background, and I'm trying to get more deeply involved with Retro Console repairs & such.
get-attachment.asp

Welcome to the forum, you may want to look here

https://www.arcade-projects.com/for...6/post-137483&highlight=programmer#post137483

Back