What's new

Tandrews_ny

Beginner
Reaction score
I have a HotD3 which the Chihiro board has stopped working on. I get no audio or video. The sad fact is, I really can't justify spending $300 on a new board.

I was hoping someone has some ideas on how I could retro-fit a retail system into it. I would expect the LPC port to be still accessible?

Any help would be great :( Otherwise...I'm not sure what's going to happen to this cabinet (I wouldn't trash it, but still put a lot of money into it).

check of the GPU fan is running. if not then it's likely the GPU cooked itself and the main board in your Chihiro is Toast (AFAIK there is no one who repairs these currently).

I'm not sure what you mean by "a retail unit" but you can't retrofit an Xbox mobo into a Chihiro either, the Arcade mobos have a different bios (which isn't a big deal), twice as much ram (which is a pain since they're all SMD and no longer produced, but still do-able) and a different South Bridge (which is BGA and just as difficult to swap as the GPU, which means you can't; because no one does these anymore).

If your GPU fan IS indeed still working and the underside of your mobo isn't discolored from overheating then do a cap kit to replace all the through-hole electrolytic caps. That can cause boot issues as well, but most of the time it's the GPU fan dying that causes the GPU to bake itself to death.

check of the GPU fan is running. if not then it's likely the GPU cooked itself and the main board in your Chihiro is Toast (AFAIK there is no one who repairs these currently).

I'm not sure what you mean by "a retail unit" but you can't retrofit an Xbox mobo into a Chihiro either, the Arcade mobos have a different bios (which isn't a big deal), twice as much ram (which is a pain since they're all SMD and no longer produced, but still do-able) and a different South Bridge (which is BGA and just as difficult to swap as the GPU, which means you can't; because no one does these anymore).

If your GPU fan IS indeed still working and the underside of your mobo isn't discolored from overheating then do a cap kit to replace all the through-hole electrolytic caps. That can cause boot issues as well, but most of the time it's the GPU fan dying that causes the GPU to bake itself to death.
So, the GPU fan is fine. The system worked a few weeks ago. The super cap did leak, but I cleaned this up - after it stopped working. All the through hole caps looks brand new, but I understand that doesn't mean much.

I guess ultimately, I'm going to sacrifice my debug kit. Atleast I'll have a working unit.

Last edited:
I removed it, its just the clock super cap.

Board is not discolored in anyway. The board does power on if connected to a normal psu but the power light doesn't flash or anything.

Back