What's new
I'm going to check on a friend's cps2 this weekend, here's hoping whatever the problem is, it's not a big deal to get fixed!

Reactions: RGB
So, I just tested on another CPS2 A and B board that works with my friend's HAS and it still has the stuck button input for the 3rd button, so it's not my CPS2 board.

So, I just tested on another CPS2 A and B board that works with my friend's HAS and it still has the stuck button input for the 3rd button, so it's not my CPS2 board.
Can you clarify this statement? You say you tested YOUR cps2 on YOUR FRIEND'S HAS and the button is still stuck. If that is the case then it is 100% a problem with YOUR cps2.

Can you clarify this statement? You say you tested YOUR cps2 on YOUR FRIEND'S HAS and the button is still stuck. If that is the case then it is 100% a problem with YOUR cps2.
sorry I thought I worded it well,

I tested another CPS2 board on my HAS, and the third button is still stuck. The CPS2 board works fine on my friend's own HAS, so the problem is my HAS.

Did he do the test you told him to? I'd hate to not have the microcontroller confirmed as the issue first.

I'm a bit too inexperienced and nervous to take off the microcontroller myself, but I have confirmed that with or without anything plugged in, and with two different CPS2 A+B boards that the third button is stuck. I'll ask a more experienced friend if he's willing to do it, but if not, would I be able to send the HAS back for repair?
My biggest fear is to mess with this stuff and break it

Taking the chip off is very easy. If you did it with your CPS2 multi it would be familiar. All you need is some gentle lifting with a screwdriver on each end to slowly lift it out.

My friend is going try out the 28th pin test on my HAS, I'll get back to yall once I find out the results

It may help to show a picture of the underside of the HAS PCB, specifically the region where the controller chip is located. I doubt there would be an issue here but worth ruling out a possible short caused by a blob of solder making contact where it shouldn't be.

Hello guys, I am back. My friend pulled the pin, and the button is not stuck anymore, so the micro controller is the issue.

Attachments

• 35123444_10156464567188055_8526915193995788288_n.jpg
    35123444_10156464567188055_8526915193995788288_n.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 35114504_10156464566348055_6399348657967071232_n.jpg
    35114504_10156464566348055_6399348657967071232_n.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 216
Very weird, but at least we know the culprit. Please remind me your shipping address via PM or email, and I'll ship a new ATmega :)

UPDATE

I sent @GuileWinQuote a new microcontroller, but he still got the same issue, which seemed almost impossible to me. We ran out of options for "remote" troubleshooting and he sent me his HAS unit and the JAMMA harness he was using (it wasn't made by me).

This is what I found today:
43669510431_2a0a9dfa2e_z.jpg

Can you see this? -5V is wired to P1 button 3 :(

Last edited:
Wow he's lucky it didn't cause damage to the CPS2 motherboard....

Also, why is the OP using that at all? Need more clearance between the CPS2 and the HAS?

I see no benefit to using something like that when you can connect the HAS directly to the JAMMA edge, interested to know what the deal is

Great service!

Not a fan of extension cables myself but I guess some people require them for certain setups.

Good lesson for the future, remove all unnecessary devices from the chain to rule out all possibilities.

Wow he's lucky it didn't cause damage to the CPS2 motherboard....

Also, why is the OP using that at all? Need more clearance between the CPS2 and the HAS?

I see no benefit to using something like that when you can connect the HAS directly to the JAMMA edge, interested to know what the deal is
I use one too. It's pretty much necessary unless you have pcb legs that are the EXACT same height as the JAMMA edge on the HAS. I learned the hard way and cracked the end of the JAMMA connector.

Back