What's new

PascalP

Legendary
Reaction score
So I bought a ST-V motherboard with trackball game, but I don't have a manual with it.
Does someone know how to connect a trackball to it?

Here is the ST-V;
index.php

index.php

And here are pics I got from the seller with a similar board installed in the cab;

Judging from the pics there is something connected to
CN25 - 5p, output
CN20 - 10p, input

05_imagesia-com_1gh3l.jpg

10_imagesia-com_1gh3n.jpg

Based on the pictures it's likely CN20. I'd Suspect CN25 is being used for some kind of lamp output.

trackballs need 2 wires per direction plus power and ground.

so with 1 trackball you have 6 wires total:
+5V
GND
Xa
Xb
Ya
Yb

looking at that picture it looks like pins 1-5 and 10 are populated.

figure out which pins are power and ground and then just hook up the X and Y wires to the other positions and see if it works. most likely it will work but the axes will be backwards or inverted, in which case you'll need to switch them around.
once you figure it out post back here :)

Last edited:
As per the manual:

CN22 - Midi out
CN27 - Light gun trigger
CN24 - Audio line out
CN25 (5 pin) - Reserved output 4 bit
CN19 (12 pin) - A/D input 8 channel
CN32 (9 pin) - Extension I/O 8 bit
CN18 (6 pin) - Serial communication
CN21 (11 pin) - Extension I/O 8 bit
CN20 (10 pin) - Extension input 8 bit

CN21 is used for 2L12B, CN32 for 3/4P

CN18 is a 6 pin connector and a serial port which seems likely for a trackball? Either that or CN20 as suggested.

Edit: the serial port seems most likely to be used for the SCSI CD drive used by the fishing games, but could also have been used for trackball? Not sure at all.

Last edited:
Fair enough - which game used the trackball? Would it be possible to get a manual for that game and hopefully it shows where to install it?

Fair enough - which game used the trackball? Would it be possible to get a manual for that game and hopefully it shows where to install it?
Looking at the cart label it's Super Goal. I don't believe there is a manual scanned for that game. I would think PascalP is smart enough to search for a manual before posting up :P

looking at MAME source though it has the trackball using "Port G" which is CN20 ;)

Actually looking at MAME source I'm not even sure if this game is dumped!

Last edited:
I know he would've searched for the manual, but if it's in Japanese only then it would be more difficult to find, as well as needing someone to translate. I figured it was worth asking :P

I see where you saw Port G is the trackball in the MAME driver, nice work. Just need to take a multimeter to work out which pin is +5 and which pin is GND (I'm going to assume pin 1 is +5 and pin 10 is ground or the other way around)

Just need to take a multimeter to work out which pin is +5 and which pin is GND (I'm going to assume pin 1 is +5 and pin 10 is ground or the other way around)
yes, usually they book-end the connector like that.

however looking at the wire colors pin 10 is black, so most likely ground, and interesting pin 3 is yellow which is what Sega typically uses for 5V. Doesn't necessarily mean they're following typical wire color conversions though.

Possible that the directional connectors bookend the +5 if pin 3 is yellow and yellow is typically +5? Depends which pin the trackball is expecting the +5 too I guess.

Very interested to know how it works out.

Last edited:
good info guys!

So I did have a more detailed look at the trackball yesterday and it has a 8 pin connector, but there is a pink wire going to both sensors (5v) and a black wire (ground) going to both sensors.

As far as I know there is no manual scanned and as far as I know the game is undumped?

Anyway, I was in contact with the seller and he sold the cab to a buddy including the manual so he will see to get it scanned.
Unfortunately his buddy is not able to take a proper picture with his phone, but he did sent me this in the meantime;

fotca18_imagesia-com_1gi43.jpg

fot213_imagesia-com_1gi41.jpg

fot569d_imagesia-com_1gi42.jpg

This is what I figure so far from looking at the harness from the original cab;

I'll dig into it further and do some measurements, and hopefully get a scanned manual soon....

fotca18_imagesia-com_1gi43_EDIT.jpg

Interesting, looking at that it seems like it may require an additional daughter board?

This is what I figure so far from looking at the harness from the original cab
yeah, identifying the pink as the +5V it makes sense that it's coming from an external source and why there was no pink on the CN20 connector. it probably loops back through the connector.

Based on that I'd say on CN20 pin 1 is ground and pin 10 is ground, then green and blue are one sensor pair, and the last two wires are the other sensor pair.

Honestly you don't need to wait for the manual, even once you have the manual you might still get the sensor wires backwards and have to swap them around.

I don't think he photographed the appropriate parts of the manual anyway, there are some other things going on there, it looks like this is a redemption game. Do you have any pictures of what the control panel for this cab looks like originally I can't seem to find anything online.

yeah I think that also, looking at the pics of the connector at CN20 it matches colors with the trackball (I think, bit hard to see in those pics).
1 pic seems incorrect indeed as I see connections which read 'empty' and 'payout'

Guess I'll go ahead and wire the trackball to match the colors on CN20 and use 1 and 10 as ground (as they look black in the pictures).
1 sensor pair is green/blue, the other is yellow/brown
Will measure if I get 5V somewhere on the board for the pink wires, maybe on CN20, maybe on an output connector like CN25, or wire it just straight to the Jamma edge...

and use 1 and 10 as ground (as they look black in the pictures).
you can confirm that with a multi meter it should show connectivity to the ground pins on the JAMMA edge.

same goes for finding a 5V connection. you should see connectivity to the +5V on the JAMMA edge.

and use 1 and 10 as ground (as they look black in the pictures).
you can confirm that with a multi meter it should show connectivity to the ground pins on the JAMMA edge.
same goes for finding a 5V connection. you should see connectivity to the +5V on the JAMMA edge.
I think I will manage that part :P

Back