What's new
yeah I understand the theory behind it, had to develop a small 555 trigger circuit back in Automotive Electronics class over 10 years ago :P
So will need to dig up that knowledge a bit...

Will see when I get the cart back and wire up the trackball to it.
After that I will follow the schematics posted earlier and see which 'other' connections are there for the hopper etc.

I'm sure we will figure it out, and as @MetalliC has the game running in MAME he could pitch in his thoughts on what needs to be wired on the actual hardware ;)
No rush for me now as I first need to get the cart back anyway

looking at mame source it looks like it's not the only game that uses a hopper. there doesn't see to be to much in the way of comments about the hopper but I did notice this:

Code:
MCFG_HOPPER_ADD("hopper", attotime::from_msec(100), TICKET_MOTOR_ACTIVE_HIGH, TICKET_STATUS_ACTIVE_HIGH)
if I'm reading that correctly the motor and hopper are both "high" when active and the response pulse is 100ms

which would mean that the hopper "button" is normally pushed, and the motor output is normally ground

When it wants to output a ticket the motor output will go to +5V (or +12V?) and then the hopper button would be released for 100ms.

I mean if this is dumped, I suppose there's nothing preventing us from loading it up on the multi cart to test out ;) unless there is some protection that needs to be patched.

to boot this game is enough cab door sensor to be ON, I think it is Player2 button2 line.
but if you'll play the game and win some cash - game will try to payout them, and will expect Player1 button2 line to be triggered while hopper motor ON, and will show error message if its not.

add: if you do not want play it a lot, I think it will be enough to manually press and release P1 b2 button several times after game over, to make game think payout went fine

Last edited:
I cant remember, it was a while ago when I did that hopper stuff for ST-V, but
MCFG_HOPPER_ADD("hopper", attotime::from_msec(100), TICKET_MOTOR_ACTIVE_HIGH, TICKET_STATUS_ACTIVE_HIGH)
and
PORT_BIT( 0x02, IP_ACTIVE_HIGH, IPT_CUSTOM ) PORT_READ_LINE_DEVICE_MEMBER("hopper", ticket_dispenser_device, line_r)
makes me think it is active high.

so when motor on - status is low, then some coin falling down and activate sensor so it becomes high, then coin fall down and status becomes low again. this repeats again and again while hopper motor is on.

Back