Finally, multi System 16B (Sega)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Kyosuke75 wrote:

i'd like to have them as roms instead of an SD card
      Uh... ROMs?

What you are really saying is you would rather program EPROMs than copy files to a SD card.
      How about if any future patches are released? You'll have to UV erase the EPROMs then re-write them.
      Again, you would rather do this then eject and copy new files to a SD card?

If that is really your preference I've got nothing to say as we are talking about personal choice...
      But if you don't mind, could you go into a little detail as to why this is your preference (because I just can't wrap my head around it)?

/me hugs his CPS2 multi, F3 multi, MVS multi, Everdrives, SD2SNES, SD2SCSI, PiForce, OPL-SMB Pi, Rhea, GDEmu, PSIO, GC Gecko, Acekard 2i :love:
      Care to guess what these devices all have in common? :rolleyes:
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)

The post was edited 13 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Two words, INSTANT LOADING!

You'll most likely only need to program them once anyhow.

I have the CPS2 multi which I love, but being SD card based hasn't presented any advantage to me. I haven't touched the SD card since I first copied the files over, so the convenience is lost on me, but the loading times are there to stay.
    • Frank_fjs wrote:

I haven't touched the SD card since I first copied the files over
      You apparently didn't own the CPS2 multi BEFORE it did key-restore.
      Sure I'm not writing my card on the daily, but I did do three major updates to it over the life time of my device (initial files, updated files, updated keys).

Yes that would have been a fucking pain in my ass if I had to UV erase and re-write.

Frank_fjs wrote:

Two words, INSTANT LOADING!
      What's the biggest game/ROM on System16?
      I'd wager Fantasy Zone DX... A game not even officially supported by this device.

Ok, so what's the next largest?
      How long do you think that's going to take to write? 1min? 30sec? 10sec?
      My personal fave game Golden Axe just for example clocks in at whopping 2.5mb unzipped! *snicker*

Besides the last game loaded would still load instantly, it would be switching games that would require a minimal amount of write time.
      Also I don't think its really fair to say "instant loading" as you must power down/reset the board when changing games/dips... Sure that's fast, but instant, nope.

I think I could die a happy man if you guys would just admit that you are not bothered by a lack of SD media.
      But don't try to tell me manually writing EPROMs is a better design/system, because we all know deep down that it is NOT.
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)

The post was edited 8 times, last by jassin000 ().

• I think eproms have the advantage pending whether roms need frequent changing or not, and whether new roms will need to be added perhaps due to newly released games.

I think for System16 it's fine to have 'fixed' roms. If not, version 2 should take care of that.

It's all a trade off I suppose, flexibility versus performance.

I have one of @oneleaf86s rotary selector switches ready to go, which will make switching games pretty darn easy.
    • jassin000 wrote:

I think I could die a happy man if you guys would just admit that you are not bothered by a lack of SD media.But don't try to tell me manually writing EPROMs is a better design/system, because we all know deep down that it is NOT.
      I appreciate the work the guys are putting in and if they ship something that works and play's great, personally I couldn't care less how the data is stored.
    • Nimmers wrote:

jassin000 wrote:

I think I could die a happy man if you guys would just admit that you are not bothered by a lack of SD media.But don't try to tell me manually writing EPROMs is a better design/system, because we all know deep down that it is NOT.
      I appreciate the work the guys are putting in and if they ship something that works and play's great, personally I couldn't care less how the data is stored.
      5-1/4" Floppy?

:D
    • hii'd like to have them as roms instead of an SD card

jassin000 wrote:

Uh... ROMs?

What you are really saying is you would rather program EPROMs than copy files to a SD card.
      How about if any future patches are released? You'll have to UV erase the EPROMs then re-write them.
      Again, you would rather do this then eject and copy new files to a SD card?

If that is really your preference I've got nothing to say as we are talking about personal choice...
      But if you don't mind, could you go into a little detail as to why this is your preference (because I just can't wrap my head around it)?

/me hugs his CPS2 multi, F3 multi, MVS multi, Everdrives, SD2SNES, SD2SCSI, PiForce, OPL-SMB Pi, Rhea, GDEmu, PSIO, GC Gecko, Acekard 2i :love:
      Care to guess what these devices all have in common? :rolleyes:
      hi :

why dont you setup a sub section and see who is interested in this option. perhaps tge design team may change the design.
      it really comes down to cost, effort, reliability, the communities interaction with said change ie sd card.
      also do you know the effort put in so far. is this so far a cost vs profit thing.
      any answers darksoft / ap ?

PS : great thoughts vizzini!

quote below :

Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

regards
      euphoria
      :)
    • euphoria wrote:

any answers darksoft / ap ?
      I prefer a solution based on microSD, with a microprocessor, level shifters, etc. but it's waaaaay much longer to prepare than a design based on Eproms, so everyone can do what his free time allows and a solution based in Eproms is maybe not ideal, but it's IMO very good.
      * Arcade-projects, the site where you get the most of your arcade games.
      * If you want Drama go to Neo-Geo forum ---Darksoft
    • Frank_fjs wrote:

I have the CPS2 multi which I love, but being SD card based hasn't presented any advantage to me. I haven't touched the SD card since I first copied the files over, so the convenience is lost on me, but the loading times are there to stay.
      @jasshin pretty much what he said.

Correct, I meant EPROMS but its all semantics. I have a friend who has an EPROM programmer so its no biggie for me.

I just prefer having it closer to the real deal and the faster loading but its a matter of preference other than that.
    • Kyosuke75 wrote:

Frank_fjs wrote:

@jasshin pretty much what he said.
      Correct, I meant EPROMS but its all semantics. I have a friend who has an EPROM programmer so its no biggie for me.

I just prefer having it closer to the real deal and the faster loading but its a matter of preference other than that.
      IMHO it's a great hobby to have an programmer (i have a TOP3000 programmer) and burn some chips to playing games. It's very nice feelings to do that and i've learn new things witch is most important thing for me. Like on IREM M72 , there was 2 times when a eeprom was removed , erased and writed again. wasn't to much effort for that. but again, an SD card solution (V2) --- will be released ... now it's still in progress. The prices on the Sega 16B games are not cheap.
      Darksoft Multi's : CPS2 / Taito F3
      Apocalypse Multi's : Irem M72
      Superguns : HAS v3.1
      Scalers : OSSC v1.6 / XRGB Mini Freimeister / RetroTINK-2X
      Scart switch : Gscartsw V5.2
      JNX: Spitfire

My Arcade Stuff

[nes-101] [pce] [genesis] [segacd] [neogeo] [snes] [saturn] [psx] [n64] [gamecube] [dreamcast_ss]