Finally, multi System 16B (Sega)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mitsurugi-w wrote:

So soldering 20 sockets and 6 logic chips takes about 2 minutes (or less) now instead of 30 to 45 minutes. ;)
      Hey Mitsu,

I feel I can speak for everyone here when I say "Don't sweat it!"

We've waited a long time for this awesome kit so a little more time won't hurt anybody.

Besides, I don't need mine quite that fast. You can solder mine a little slower if you want. You know, just for quality control and all...

:D
    • Large or small, 10 units a day or 100... I just hope its a success for everyone from A to Z.
      That way we are sure to see future multi's in this line, you know about this little project called System18 multi? ;)

I'll give ya three reasons why you should care:
      1. Moonwalker
      2. Alien Storm
      3. Shadow Dancer
      These games all sucked on Genesis/Megadrive by comparison.
      Fuck I don't think they even attempted a perfect port of Shadow Dancer, just kept going with the console Shinobi stuff (which is Ok but you know my highlander ways).
      Moonwalker is so mangled, they turned what is basically an isometric shooter into a side scrolling beat em up action platformer? WTF!? NO Sega, you stop that shit right GD now!

You know the funny thing about Sega, they just couldn't help but screw themselves repeatedly... And not just with bad ports... How about no ports at all?
      Looking at you Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder. :whistling:

And and not just with ports, but hardware too. I think of myself as something of a console collector, and I sold my 32x.
      History shows it for exactly what it was, a stop gap to Saturn that wasn't yet ready.
      Today I say you have ZERO reason to own one, its trash!

Sega pissed a lot of people off with all this, to the point where I refused to buy a Saturn (I own one now and I'm glad I do because Japan) after 32x.
      Naomi/Dreamcast was a different story, one that I personally think Sega was nailing but the sad truth is they had already lost to Sony.
      The effort was correct, but at this point in history it was too little too late.

Today we have this!

Darksoft/Apocalypse: CPS2, CPS3, F3, MVS, S16
      RGB: RECO v2
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special HAS Edition)

The post was edited 9 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Sp33dFr34k wrote:

I have all 3 of those on seperate rom boards, so I agree
      I only have Moonwalker, but... I've recently switched over to the standard 68K CPU and now run the decrypted ROM set.
      This of course was a preparation move, for IF a multi is released it would require the normal 68K/decrypted ROMs just like the v1 S16 multi today

What a magical time to be a character art/pixel art/sprite designer.

Director: "This is a game about rescuing kids, now animate Michael touching himself"

XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24, Namco System 11/12 KHA

The post was edited 7 times, last by jassin000 ().

• Frank_fjs wrote:

@Mitsurugi-w

Or... If you don't like that idea perhaps consider sending a bulk lot of assembled units to someone in Australia for distribution. Local postage will be $8.95 Australia wide. I'm not sure how much it will cost from USA to Australia for 10 x assembled units however surely it will work out significantly cheaper than paying $35 US per unit.
      I have considered this. Whom on the list is Australian so I know?
    • Mitsurugi-w wrote:

Frank_fjs wrote:

@Mitsurugi-w

Or... If you don't like that idea perhaps consider sending a bulk lot of assembled units to someone in Australia for distribution. Local postage will be $8.95 Australia wide. I'm not sure how much it will cost from USA to Australia for 10 x assembled units however surely it will work out significantly cheaper than paying $35 US per unit.

There may be others but these are the ones I recognise

Frank_fjs
      xodaraP
      djsheep
      oneleaf86
      sneek
      segasonic91
      Pelly
      CoinFeeder
      radirgyman
      buffaloj0e
      Nimmers

Blackfish is in NZ so it would also be cheaper to ship there from AU than from the US so may prefer the option.

The post was edited 1 time, last by xodaraP ().

• xodaraP wrote:

Mitsurugi-w wrote:

Frank_fjs wrote:

@Mitsurugi-w

There may be others but these are the ones I recognise

Frank_fjs
      xodaraP
      djsheep
      oneleaf86
      sneek
      segasonic91
      Pelly
      CoinFeeder
      radirgyman
      buffaloj0e
      Nimmers

Blackfish is in NZ so it would also be cheaper to ship there from AU than from the US so may prefer the option.
      I’m maybe keen, but I’d also like to preserve my place in line. Let me know what you propose @Mitsurugi-w — if you’re down to get these out ASAP given a good amount of the names are close to the top of the list (or even in the first batch), all good. If it’s going to take some time to get it together and moving down the list (to be fair to others who are waiting), I’ll just eat the extra cost and retain my #13 spot and have my unit sent direct as I have other things I need from you anyhow.
      Multis: CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, S16, ST-V, MVS, M72, G-Net, Naomi, TTX2
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

The post was edited 3 times, last by djsheep ().

• rewrite wrote:

*signs up for the incredibly small sys18 is more fun than sys16 club*
      Heh, I still prefer S16 in terms of overall number of games and game quality.

S18 aside from the three titles I keep plugging (MW/AS/SD) really hasn't got much I care about...
      I guess if you have a tate setup Hammer Away and Desert Breaker are pretty cool (I might do this with one of my VLX cabs).

S18 is harder to find than S16, but I guess to be fair not as hard as S32 (which you only ever really see Spider-man these days).
      So I feel a multi is in order to experience these games the way they should be played... Not emulated, and not these horrid GD ports Sega released on Gen/MD.
    • brentradio wrote:

Or a rotating monitor...
      Well technically I have a "rotating" monitor/LCD too...
      I've just gotta totally disassemble the side panels, remove the back hatch, remove 6 bolts... :rolleyes: *sigh*
    • brentradio wrote:

Smurph wrote:

Is that a custom CRT bartop?
      Nope, it's a real full size Dynamo HS-2 cab with the pull out cut corner control panel board.
      I did install the "lazy susan" myself. I've done some other mods to it that I'm almost done with.

:D

That is pretty great. You should shoot a video of it in action. I imagine it just rotates like an LZ? Does anything lock it in place? How did you create this magic?
    • Fun Update Time.

I've had the first 10 fully assembled since Dec. 30th but I've been waiting for the Lattice GAL22v10d chips to arrive that I ordered in early December. Those chips finally arrived yesterday and, well, they are fakes. The last batch I ordered came from the same seller and worked 100% so it is very confusing.

Some technical stuff. As some of you may know, when testing the prototypes we had a video issue that was causing us fits to pinpoint for several months. I had ordered Atmel AT22v10 chips brand new from Digikey. On paper they have the same specs. 15ns speed etc. However when we swapped in the now obsolete Lattice version of the chips the video problem went away completely. So we decided to just order the Lattice chips instead. Why not? They are available in many places though are actually kind of expensive if ordering from UTsource like I often do. So went the ebay route.

I've done two things:

-Ordered a new batch from a different seller. This time in China.
      -I've orderd a few of the brand new Atmel 22v10 but this time in 7.5ns speed to see if it works.

Unfortunately this is another unexpected delay. I really wanted these ten in hands and being used for any feedback before second batch went out.

On a plus side I have decided to do an SMD stencil system so once I have that set up this project will go MUCH quicker than I had previously stated. So once I get in full swing I expect to finish within 6 weeks total.
    • Thanks for the update @Mitsurugi-w - when you guys are ready, my wallet is... :) Thanks for taking the time to get it right!
      Arcade MultiSystems:

Sega: ST-V (Darksoft), Naomi 2 w/Net Dimm,Capcom CPS2 (Darksoft) , Capcom CPS3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo MV-1B (Darksoft), Sega C2 (Apocalypse), Taito F3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo AES (Darksoft), M72 Multi (Apocalypse)
      VAPS Profile arcade-museum.com/members/member_detail.php?member_id=481863