Cloning a BattleGear 4 Tuned HDD

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Easiest way to check for ATA lock is to attach the drive to a linux box and run just fdisk -l to list the partition table. If it's ata locked you will receive an input/output error.

      If it reads it then cloning should be as simple as using dd commands to do a straight copy (or dd to a backup image file, then dd that to drives as needed)
    • There is No ata lock, You can only outright clone the drive, if the drive is in the same S/N range as the original, ( the replacement drive that is)

      You -Can- Clone the working, drive However, you will need to edit a few things to make it work

      these include, You need a decypted copy of the game, change the shell application of windows form launcher.exe, to the game.exe
      you also need to make a E:/ Partion, thats one of the few games that require it. with out it the game wont boot,
    • atrfate wrote:

      There is No ata lock, You can only outright clone the drive, if the drive is in the same S/N range as the original, ( the replacement drive that is)

      You -Can- Clone the working, drive However, you will need to edit a few things to make it work

      these include, You need a decypted copy of the game, change the shell application of windows form launcher.exe, to the game.exe
      you also need to make a E:/ Partion, thats one of the few games that require it. with out it the game wont boot,
      Would spoofing the new drive's serial number to match the old one achieve a working result?

      (Google is struggling to help find me a ia decrypted copy of the game)
    • Volume serial can be spoofed, but hdd physical serial no usually required special data recovery tools to change. Not sure with typex, but in my day to day work that's my understanding.

      I would throw the dead drive in the freezer for a day then try to clone it if you still have it. Sometimes you can get one last good read off them.
    • DevoDave wrote:

      (Google is struggling to help find me a ia decrypted copy of the game)
      PM incoming.
      Cabs: Cyberlead II | Mini Cute | Neo 19 | MVS-U4 | Vewlix F | Vewlix Dia | Sega City | Jubeat | WMMT3 | Egret 2 | Egret 3 | Aero Table | Sound Voltex IV w/ REAL Generator | Gunbarl dedicated | Megalo 410 (en route)

      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2.
    • DevoDave wrote:

      atrfate wrote:

      There is No ata lock, You can only outright clone the drive, if the drive is in the same S/N range as the original, ( the replacement drive that is)

      You -Can- Clone the working, drive However, you will need to edit a few things to make it work

      these include, You need a decypted copy of the game, change the shell application of windows form launcher.exe, to the game.exe
      you also need to make a E:/ Partion, thats one of the few games that require it. with out it the game wont boot,
      Would spoofing the new drive's serial number to match the old one achieve a working result?
      (Google is struggling to help find me a ia decrypted copy of the game)
      If you buy the exact same type of harddrive of ebay, you can swap clone the drive, then swap the pcbs at the buttom and that will tech work
    • My mistake. The PC I was using had a BIOS issue and said EVERY drive was ATA locked. The drive is *NOT* locked.

      However the first partition cannot be mounted. It says it's an NTFS but I get no joy. The second partition has a bunch of .GST (Ghost?) files and some config info, and has a volume identity that is Kanji characters.

      This is the working drive so something is amiss. Further investigation.....
    • DevoDave wrote:

      My mistake. The PC I was using had a BIOS issue and said EVERY drive was ATA locked. The drive is *NOT* locked.

      However the first partition cannot be mounted. It says it's an NTFS but I get no joy. The second partition has a bunch of .GST (Ghost?) files and some config info, and has a volume identity that is Kanji characters.

      This is the working drive so something is amiss. Further investigation.....
      Couldn't you just do a full raw disk image and then it doesn't matter that the partition can't be mounted?
      Cabs: Cyberlead II | Mini Cute | Neo 19 | MVS-U4 | Vewlix F | Vewlix Dia | Sega City | Jubeat | WMMT3 | Egret 2 | Egret 3 | Aero Table | Sound Voltex IV w/ REAL Generator | Gunbarl dedicated | Megalo 410 (en route)

      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2.
    • DevoDave wrote:

      My mistake. The PC I was using had a BIOS issue and said EVERY drive was ATA locked. The drive is *NOT* locked.

      However the first partition cannot be mounted. It says it's an NTFS but I get no joy. The second partition has a bunch of .GST (Ghost?) files and some config info, and has a volume identity that is Kanji characters.

      This is the working drive so something is amiss. Further investigation.....
      A working legit drive should have
      2 NTFS partitions @ 10gb each
      then the rest of the drive will be unallocated
      At least thats how every title I am aware of works

      Teh drive is not Ata locked but they do have a boot sector, MBR check done via the bios, to prevent custom versions of windows booting.
    • atrfate wrote:

      A working legit drive should have
      2 NTFS partitions @ 10gb each
      then the rest of the drive will be unallocated
      At least thats how every title I am aware of works

      Teh drive is not Ata locked but they do have a boot sector, MBR check done via the bios, to prevent custom versions of windows booting.

      The partitions are as you have described.

      rewrite wrote:

      Couldn't you just do a full raw disk image and then it doesn't matter that the partition can't be mounted?
      Yeah, but if I need to place an unencrypted version of the game program on the disk I'll need to be able to access it.
    • DevoDave wrote:

      Yeah, but if I need to place an unencrypted version of the game program on the disk I'll need to be able to access it.
      Oh, totally. I was thinking if you were just going to try and clone the one to repair the other.
      Cabs: Cyberlead II | Mini Cute | Neo 19 | MVS-U4 | Vewlix F | Vewlix Dia | Sega City | Jubeat | WMMT3 | Egret 2 | Egret 3 | Aero Table | Sound Voltex IV w/ REAL Generator | Gunbarl dedicated | Megalo 410 (en route)

      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2.
    • rtw wrote:

      @DevoDave Can you show us a picture of your HDD ?
      It's just a Western Digital WD400BB. Nothing special. I have four seats under my care at the moment and they are all using the same drive type.

      I have imaged a working drive using linux dd command and used the image to create another drive. It boots, but comes up with a System Error Code 906.

      Very much a job on the back-burner as other machines making more money require my attention before I get to work on this.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by DevoDave: Corrected drive model. Oops. ().