What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
So there are some patched ISOs for Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ, Salary Man Champ and other Konami System 573 games floating around. Which is great, however Konami actually uses the security carts to provide light output which means unless you have the legit security carts you wont get working button lights... unless we reverse engineer the light circuit on the security carts :D

I started with Salary Man Champ because I own a legit cart and I could poke around.
cart_pins-500x294.jpg

You can see the JST NH Connector here which is where the light harness plugs in. the larger 4-pin connector on the right is as 12V input that simply gets re-routed to the light output connector. They do this because there is no 12V on the cart, and the game comes with a little power harness that taps 12V power from the JVS Power connector on the front of the PCB and routes it around to the cart.

Internally the cart looks like this:
cart_parts-500x411.jpg

you can see the two small security chips on the center left side and the bottom right, everything else here is for the light output. There are two 8-bit shift registers chained together. allowing up to 16 outputs to be driven from just 3 data lines, though Salary man Champ is a 2 player game with only 3 lit buttons per player so most of those 16 potential outputs go unused.
Above the shift registers are some Mitsubishi chips that act as transistors and then of course some diodes resistors and caps to help properly switch and drive the lamps.

The shift registers used were some 74HC4094, I didn't have any of those handy but I did have some 74HC595s so I decided to use those instead.

The Fisherman's Bait cart is much simpler, containing nothing but a single security chip, but it has some decent locations where I could tap traces running to the appropriate pins on the edge connector.
32896080_2172875369405550_3448876807615414272_n-500x500.jpg

I also tapped ground and +5V to drive my shift registers and some LEDs:

20180519_230253-500x281.jpg

Here's a video of the results: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi-lHIwFm4o/?taken-by=twistedchu

I had the light output order incorrect in the video as well as a few additional LEDs to see if any of the other outputs were receiving data (they weren't) which is why they look all weird and clustered.

Unfortunately this ONLY works on Salary Man Champ.

--------------------------------

The Hyper Bish Bashi Champ Cart looks the same on the outside, and from what I understand the pinout is the same. the PCB even looks similar internally as well, but rather than a shift register it uses a pair of 74LS175 D-Type FlipFlops.

hbbc_1-500x375.jpg

I want to thank @nem for posting photos of this cart in @Dion's Master Calendar Thread, From the photos alone and some guess work I was able to determine how the light output was wired on these carts. It was tricky since most of the traces to the Flip Flops are hidden under the chips. But These chips are wired completely in parallel except for the clock pin. Despite this it takes 7 data lines for only 8 potential outputs, of which only 6 are used. that means they could have done away with the Flip Flops altogether and just used one data line per lamp. This is an early game than Salary Man Champ though and it does also have a 3 Player variant. So I'm guessing that the 3 player version uses the same circuit but with 1 more FlipFlop and 1 more clock pin which would make more sense for this design (though still not as good as Salary Man Champs Design). If you have any pictures of the 3 Player HBBC Cart I'd love to see them!

Interestingly one of the Flip Flops shares the clock signal with the security chip, though I don't think it's actually tied into the security any way, probably just done to help consolidate the data lines.

A lot more soldering but my guesses were pretty good because I got all of the FlipFlop inputs correct on the first try:
20180524_222028-500x281.jpg

And this new circuit works perfectly with HBBC, here's a video of the results: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjLn-DnFvcG/?taken-by=twistedchu

I'm thinking it might be interesting to design a cart PCB that supports light output from both Salary Man Champ and Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ, maybe with a switch to use one light circuit or the other. though for now I'm content with just having got light output working :D

For pinouts and some more technical details check my blog posts on the subject:
Light Output on Salary Man Champ

Light Output on Hyper Bishi Bashi Champ

Last edited:
Awesome share buddy, this info will come in very handy.

I need to start working on my boards/gear. But now Im house shopping, so yeah, there goes that, might as well not unpack anything, and keep my stuff in storage for now.

will have to find a System 573 now.
Fishermans bait PCBs come up on eBay all the time. they range from $100 to $300 so I'd recommend grabbing the first one you see pop up for under $130 shipped or so.
Watch out for bad or bootleg RTC (though not usually a problem on fishermans bait) and dead or dying CD drives. These PCBs are really picky about which drives they work with. Mine died on me but I had a stack of a dozen or so old drives and managed to find one that worked.

I'm sorry for the noobness but what hardware is required for hyper bishi bashi champ, I remember playing in the trocadero in London.

I have the 2 player control panel and the cab would be a generic NUC but that's it, as @twistedsymphony said fisherman's bait are on eBay, but cds/security/ios are a bit of a minefield.

I'd love to learn but at present I'm a bit clueless

Any insight would a great help

Last edited:
but what hardware is required for hyper bishi bashi champ
Konami System 573

as @twistedsymphony said fisherman's bait are on eBay, but cds/security/ios are a bit of a minefield.
The official setup includes a security cart in addition to a 12V power harness for the cart as well as an installation disc and a gameplay disc. These pop up on Yahoo Auctions Japan every so often.

The Game did get a European release as well, though I don't believe it used discs if you're after that one you might need to find a completely working setup including the system 573 main board with the game already installed.

Back