What's new

Malenko

Professional
Reaction score
Picked it up in trade , its complete but when I power it up it goes through the startup motions but then stops at a prompt "gvr-aaa login: "

Cab didn't come with any software and globalvr's FAQ pages are useless. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• cab.jpg
    cab.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 561
  • gvr.jpg
    gvr.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 311
Bruh, you have the Holy Grail of light gun games. There is a USB2Gun board inside of there that works with Windows and MAME. Also that board works with Happ light guns. I would say, give GlobalVR a call to see if you can get past that issue. If not, wire that baby up for MAME and have at it!!

Does it have ethernet?
Shellshock it (dhcpc exploit) and get in that way (if it is set to dhcp that is.)

So facts:
The machine, for some reason is booting in single user / non-gfx mode.
Does it spit out a whole load of linux booting information before it sits on this prompt?
There is likely something wrong with the disk because it should go to graphics mode after this screen.

Possible issues might be the mainboard / battery. After 11 years we can expect the bios battery to be flat. open up the cab and look at the pc inside, check spinning fans etc. and apply a new coat of cpu thermal paste as well. I'd clean this one out pretty good, add a new mobo battery, and reset to defaults, see what happens.

Bruh, you have the Holy Grail of light gun games. There is a USB2Gun board inside of there that works with Windows and MAME. Also that board works with Happ light guns. I would say, give GlobalVR a call to see if you can get past that issue. If not, wire that baby up for MAME and have at it!!
The idea was to have the original game working, and leave that PC in there (or in storage so I can put it back). Also, have another SFF PC in there for MAME and other emulators for lightgun games. Even if I MAME it, I'd like to get the original game going as I've never played it before.

You can likely interrupt the boot and shell out in single user mode just the same. Have you tried plugging a keyboard into it? Is there a grub boot loader? LILO perhaps?

Back