What's new
Wrong thread, was too excited about the ZN1 news haha...

Anyways a small update for this one as the post exists now, long boards etc have arrived but not collected them yet.
Board layout ticking along slowly. Working out the EEPROM / ram now so we can have settings and high score for each game saved.

Last edited:
Seems interesting, any update? I’ll have to start looking for a board.

This project is not dead don't worry :)

The long boards arrived, and there is nothing special going on with them.

The board layout is very close, just need to work out the rom type to use and set it up accordingly.
The games are high in meg so rom choice will be the main 'cost' of the board... so must think carefully.

Here is a teaser pic of the keycus section of the board layout, things are progressing but not fast :)

(i don't think it will be finished this year...)

Attachments

• keycus.png
    keycus.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 246
I didn't followed this thread before, because I'm not that interested in conversions as in multis, but after the Hammy post on my "Multi List" thread, I've became curious about it and I've just read this thread.

Now following it too :)

I'm interested in a multi of this, if finally it's done

Which game should be a good donor for this multi?

I didn't followed this thread before, because I'm not that interested in conversions as in multis, but after the Hammy post on my "Multi List" thread, I've became curious about it and I've just read this thread.

Now following it too :)

I'm interested in a multi of this, if finally it's done

Any game is a good donor for the multi, you only need to worry about donor rom board if you are converting.

The standard ones such as the quiz games, tennis or the puzzlers are the cheapest, but make sure you get one in good condition as if there's corrosion (from the capacitors) on the pcb it won't last long.

To be honest the main slowdown with this has been learning the board layout software.

I would say the cheapest options would be Super World Court, Bakuretsu Quiz Ma-Q Dai Bouken, and Nettou! Gekitou! Quiztou!! (Quiz Island)

I've found each of those for under $50

Emeraldia, Cosmo Gang the Puzzle, and Knuckle Heads are the next cheapest, usually anywhere from $80 to $120

Fighter/Attacker, Numan Athletics, Tinkle Pit, and Exvania are all the most valuable games on the platform.

X-Day-2 is another cheap game that might make a good donor for a potential multi, but it's not suitable for a conversion because it has a unique ROM board.

I would say the cheapest options would be Super World Court, Bakuretsu Quiz Ma-Q Dai Bouken, and Nettou! Gekitou! Quiztou!! (Quiz Island)
I've found each of those for under $50

Emeraldia, Cosmo Gang the Puzzle, and Knuckle Heads are the next cheapest, usually anywhere from $80 to $120

Fighter/Attacker, Numan Athletics, Tinkle Pit, and Exvania are all the most valuable games on the platform.

X-Day-2 is another cheap game that might make a good donor for a potential multi, but it's not suitable for a conversion because it has a unique ROM board.
So for the multi, long/short doesn't matter? say a SWC could play all games once you are done? Awesome, I'm still looking, haven't seen anything yet though. Make sure I'm still on the list for this one though! This might be the only multi I'm in the top 10 on the waiting list! :P

Tinkle pit is patched now 100%, video + roms uploading tonight
Had all kinds of problems with it however got down to a few nops in the end.

Had 2 motherboards go faulty in testing, very fragile hardware, the more it's moved the worse it gets.

Will there be another post to get on a list for this multi, or is it this thread, or is it too soon?

Looks like this thread is the list, hah. the first batch is only 2 or 3 test pcbs for myself. (maybe one for twisted for all his help on this one!)
If they work 100% then full go ahead for all interested and a few extras for anyone wanting in the future.

Depending on the option / features required depends when you get it.
High on the list / low on the list can be overcome by time / cost saving.
Without roms is a way of saving time / getting it quicker for example.

Tinkle pit is patched now 100%, video + roms uploading tonight
Had all kinds of problems with it however got down to a few nops in the end.
I'll need to socket another ROM Board to test it out ;)

Had 2 motherboards go faulty in testing, very fragile hardware, the more it's moved the worse it gets.
These things are seriously unreliable but I found that most of the failures I've run into have been related to the caps, either they leak and erode the sound section, or there is one off on it's lonesome on the other side that likes to kill the little voltage monitor IC which prevents the board from booting, if you by pass the chip and install a button in the unpopulated location you can manually reboot the board, or just replace the cap and IC.

Will there be another post to get on a list for this multi, or is it this thread, or is it too soon?
dude technically this thread isn't even about the multi
lol.gif

the "interest" threads, when they get created are the ones that exist to gauge interest. and they're usually created so they know how many multis they need to make to satisfy demand.

This thread is about testing the patched games, so if you want to make a conversion you can, or if you want to help out with a potential multi you can test the games to make sure there aren't any problems with them for when the multi does get made.

hello I got a quiz game I'm going to convert to f/a. The zip has 4 roms in it. Do I only need to change the the 4 roms on the Rom board or do I need to modify the board in some way? Because I asked hammy if I only needed to change the 4 roms and he said yup just the 8 roms.
don't know if it typo or I had to do something else.

Assuming your Donor board is a Quiz Ma-Q on a short ROM board..

There are 4x socketed ROMs that need to be replaced with the one hammy provides using 27c040 (or 27c4001) EPROMs. These are the Program ROMs.

there are also 4x Mask ROMs that are soldered into the ROM board. These are the Graphics ROMs. You will need to de-solder these and then solder in 32-pin sockets in their place. For these you use the original ROM images from MAME on 27c080 (or 27c801) EPROMs. If you're converting to Numan Athletics, Tinkle Pit, or Knuckle Heads, they require a long-rom board and there are twice as many Graphics ROMs, meaning twice as many pins to desolder, twice as many sockets to solder, and twice as many 27c801 ROMs to burn from MAME.

For a Short ROM board game (like F/A, Super World Court, Exvania):
128 pins that need to be desoldered
4x 32-pin sockets need to be soldered into place
4x 27c040 EPROMS need to be programmed with patched code
4x 27c801 EPROMS need to be programmed with MAME code

For a Long ROM board game (like Numan Athletics, Knuckle Heads, Tinkle Pit):
256 pins that need to be desoldered
8x 32-pin sockets need to be soldered into place
4x 27c040 EPROMS need to be programmed with patched code
8x 27c801 EPROMS need to be programmed with MAME code

Two games don't use the Graphics ROMs at all (Emeraldia, and Cosmo Gang the Puzzle), for these there is no soldering required, just program and install the patched ROMs onto 27c040 EPROMS.

I've done 3 of these conversion ROM boards that require de-soldering and I would not recommend doing it yourself unless you have a de-soldering iron, it's a pain in the ass with one and nearly impossible without one.

Last edited:
yes that's a Quiz Ma-Q.

And yeah I LOATHE desoldering but it's a necessary evil for a lot of these conversions.

I have a whole bunch of desoldering work to do for my own projects that I've been putting off because I hate doing it :P and it's hard to find the time.

Back