What's new
Assuming your Donor board is a Quiz Ma-Q on a short ROM board.
https://zenmarket.jp/auction.aspx?itemCode=k339100907
This is the one I got
Ya I haven't got a desoldering gun yet. I will have to find someone who can do it since your busy atm to do it. Thank you for info.
Get a hakko desoldering gun, you will never look back and it will pay for itself in repairs in no time at all.
It also has great heat and can do things like re-attaching IREM heatsinks that most irons can't do.

Knuckle heads please .
It's done just needs testing!
Keep getting sidetracked with other things... Next day or 2 can get it tested.

The schematic is done, the layout is done, the software is done, keycus clone done..

I am new to board layouts, so taking time with it. If you want to help me finish it off no problem.

The slowdowns is mainly down to lack of time and the NA motherboards are FRAGILE so keep dying (3 mobo's died on this project)

Last edited:
The schematic is done, the layout is done, the software is done, keycus clone done..

I am new to board layouts, so taking time with it. If you want to help me finish it off no problem.

The slowdowns is mainly down to lack of time and the NA motherboards are FRAGILE so keep dying (3 mobo's died on this project)
Honestly don't torment yourself with the design. Even if not perfect if you end up with a working solution it's always better than no solution at all, isn't it? You can also print few PCBs as protos and wait for feedbacks.
We're dealing with signals in the few MHz range on those old boards, propagation time is far from being a problem, traces length is usually not a problem, etc.

P.S.: What's the problem with NA motherboards? RAM? Solders?

What's the problem with NA motherboards? RAM? Solders?
mostly caps. they used super shitty SMD caps that love to explode and leak all over everything.

I have 7 of these PCBs, three I picked up were DOA but I fixed them this way:
A Note on "Broken" PCBs...

These PCBs are prone to leaking SMD caps and there are a TON of them. This causes the audio volume to drop until it disappears and there is a voltage check IC that disabls the CPU if it goes bad and the caps tend to kill this too causing the game to not boot.

I've revived 3 dead NA PCBs replacing this voltage check IC (the little 3773 IC) and the near by cap (C5 I think?). these three also have very faint audio volume. and have visually corroded metal around the caps.
Even still, of my PCBs half of them have weak or dead sound sections due to shitty caps.

The problem with the boards is SMD capacitors leak and get on the 2 very fine pitch SMD customs.
The acid makes the connections go dry, and it's almost impossible to get a good reflow. The chips need to come off and go back on.
Leg pitch of the 2 customs is so fine that it's not an easy job.

They normally work after a reflow, but only last a bit before another connection breaks.
Here's one that's been reflowed about 20 times to the point it's almost Fucked.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A3TW2zJGn6v0Gu59MFAp5okC2YQvpwaH

oh no, tell us all! and I'm on page 1 for interest here... phew

No, it's for SEGA, and one that's not had much attention.

RE: Namco, no system 22 but cracked a copule of SYS 12 sets for fun, sadly the roms on the board are a bastard to get programmed (the fine soldering is not a problem)

The system 22 is a bit of a 4 slice toaster. I used to own a time crisis and the boards went down all the time.
Big love for the games, but a much bigger hatred towards the hardware ;)

The namco security has been more or less the same throughout the 90's, Can't see sys22 being much different.

What the NA system has taught me to only work on easily available or easily repaired stuff in the future.

finally getting my quiz game converted na1. Just to clarify what needs to be done to board to put fighter and attacker on it?

Fighter and attacker is x4 27c4001 on the program and 4x 27c801 for the graphics. The graphics roms are not included with my zips so grab them from mame.

The quickest 'test' game is cosmo gang it only uses 2x 27c4001.

Nothing else needs to be done other than making sure your motherboard caps are not leaking!!

Fighter and attacker is x4 27c4001 on the program and 4x 27c801 for the graphics. The graphics roms are not included with my zips so grab them from mame.

The quickest 'test' game is cosmo gang it only uses 2x 27c4001.

Nothing else needs to be done other than making sure your motherboard caps are not leaking!!
ok ty. ya I'm getting caps replaced

Back