What's new

Geddon

Professional
Reaction score
Ok, I think I know the answer, but just wanted to make sure. With this mod will the modded B board then be compatible with any region A board? I’m new to CPS2 hardware, so go easy on me! I plan to mod a grey B board and have a US region A board. So should I wanted to check if I would be good to go with that combo? This project is so awesome. I didn’t know it even existed until a few days ago. Thanks guys!

I’m new to these forums, I’ll give a little background. I’ve messed with arcade hardware and rgb modding consoles for a while. Recently started messing with raspberry pi connected to rgb monitors with not much success, and I came across this mod which covers a lot of ground I wanted to do with the pi. Playing on real hardware is best anyway. I setup a multi mk box with a retroelectronik supergun and I have another supergun I plan to use with the multi cps2. I also have a candy cab the multi cps2 would go great in. I’m sure I’ll hang around a while and learn a lot from this forum and probably ask more dumb questions, but maybe I’ll be able to help out some others too.

With this mod will the modded B board then be compatible with any region A board? I’m new to CPS2 hardware, so go easy on me! I plan to mod a grey B board and have a US region A board. So should I wanted to check if I would be good to go with that combo?
I believe the Asian region board have one of the connectors flipped. So on USA/Japan Boards the A-Board has 4 Male connectors and the B-Board has 4 female connector. On the Asian PCBs it's 3x Female 1x Male, the Orange PCBs have a flipped connector too, only it's different than the Asian one.

I believe this is how the "region locking" is accomplished.

Correct, but I’ve seen adapters on the market to convert male/female connector.
So you could use Japan B board on Asia A board etc...

I’ve seen adapters on the market to convert male/female connector.
interesting. Do they still fit together properly? I'd suspect it'd leave an ugly gap.

I'd personally be more inclined to just sell my Asian board and buy a more suitable replacement.

Haven’t used the adapters myself or seen them fitted, I’ve just seen them as parts.
But I can’t imagine it would fit nicely, best just to get a proper matching boardset ;)

Or desolder/remove a connector from a parts US/Japan A board, and swap it onto the Asia A board? I've contemplated doing this on 2 Asia A boards I have, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Or desolder/remove a connector from a parts US/Japan A board, and swap it onto the Asia A board
Sure, if you've got a parts board laying around... given he's "new to CPS2 hardware" and has unmatched boards, I'd guess that he doesn't have a parts board to pull from.

Also you'd really want a de-soldering gun to tackle a connector replacement, that'd be a nightmare to attempt without one.

Or desolder/remove a connector from a parts US/Japan A board, and swap it onto the Asia A board
Sure, if you've got a parts board laying around... given he's "new to CPS2 hardware" and has unmatched boards, I'd guess that he doesn't have a parts board to pull from.
Also you'd really want a de-soldering gun to tackle a connector replacement, that'd be a nightmare to attempt without one.
True that.

A connector replacement is a pain, even with a good desoldering gun. Had a busted pin on a connector, replaced the whole thing (took about an hour). Realized in the process but not until I was too far down the road, that single pins pull right out very easily once desoldered. :S Let my trials/learning experiences serve as good info for others.

Saw this in a KLOV thread, to add to the discussion about whether an adapted Asian board would fit nicely with a US/Japan board. Seems it doesn't.

"A-board (Asia region, missing 2 buttons, fits US and JPN via adapters, just doesn't sit flush per normal. Works great)"

Thanks guys! I ended up buying an Asian A board. The A boards are pretty cheap so that seems the way to go. Of course the test button was broken, it was dirty as hell, and one of the fan blades was broken. I replaced the fan with a quiet one, ordered 3D printed replacement switches, and cleaned it up. Now I just need to get my games in the mail, wire up a broken mad catz TE stick for Neo Geo, wire up the kick harness and I’ll be ready to play on my supergun!

Back