What's new

Black IcE

Student
Reaction score
I am attempting to help a person convert their Turtles in Time board to two player. I already tried programming the UDA two player program rom set and all I get is a white flashing screen. The UAA 4 player roms play fine. The board itself is a conversion from another game, but I am not sure from which one. The only other files I can see that are different between the two player and four players are the .nv files. I am seeking input for the next step to take please. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It might depend on what was used as a conversion and how it was done. Did you compare the current rom data to the 4p MAME data?

Like perhaps the conversion required interleaving the original 4p data, so you might have to do the same with the 2p rom data.

Shoot some pics of the board...

Also this page has some conversion notes midway down on one method. I'm on mobile so I can't link the permalink now

Konami PCB Conversions possible?

oh yeah totally that... I assumed you were doing that already!

Sweet. I will try that and report back. Thanks for the tip.

That did the trick. I feel kinda stupid not realizing this on my own, but I have never done this particular conversion before. Thanks again for the help!

Hey,

So my buddy @Black IcE took care of this swap to the 2 player roms, but the attract mode doesn’t play (it’s the game over screen with a solid burgundy background) and the speech is nothing but buzzing. Additionally Rom 1D comes back as bad... it’s possible that may be due to an issue with a pulled trace..

It’s playable but I can’t leave the cabinet on and waiting for coinup because of the monitor burn.

Any thoughts?

Replacement PROMs need to meet mimium speed requirements.

The intro/speech is different depending on region, so to me if that part is crashing it wouldn't be a problem with the MASKs... Sure it wouldn't rule out trace damage, but I'd start with the replacement chips used.

Game over or press start? Turtles just have a static attract mode unless you use the hack rom there is no attach mode on free play yet on TiT. There is a hack rom for the 1st turtles

Last edited:
@Lemony Vengeance - The same thing existed with the four player roms. As soon as I would power on the board, it would not show an attract mode. It just wanted the player to press P1 start.

Replacement PROMs need to meet mimium speed requirements.

The intro/speech is different depending on region, so to me if that part is crashing it wouldn't be a problem with the MASKs... Sure it wouldn't rule out trace damage, but I'd start with the replacement chips used.
this was a conversion from a JP quiz game so they’re all windowed roms. This conversion was done by Fox1, so i trust his expertise in the choice of roms used.

I reused the roms I had previously for the four roms swapped for 2 player mode

Game over or press start? Turtles just have a static attract mode unless you use the hack rom there is no attach mode on free play yet on TiT. There is a hack rom for the 1st turtles
so the solid burgundy on the press start is normal? If so, that’s a MAJOR bummer.

Yeah it's normal to have static start screen with free play enabled, it just acts like credits are inserted.

I normally just leave in non free mode for that reason, but a ROM hack is probably in order.

yeah.. the 1st turtles got a free play hack 2 years ago, so its only a matter of time. In my cab I just use a any coin mech and the kids can grab any spare change.

The TMNT free play hack for 4P boards can be found here:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=378859

I just tried it in Mame (for tmnt), and it seems to work fine. You can start the game with either action button.

Anyway, my original TMHT 2P board does have a freeplay option, the only problem is that it sits in a static screen like this:

tmht2p.png

I haven't looked into it, but I was thinking there might be an conditional in the attract mode code that checks for the free play option which you could disable?

Sometimes if a resistor pack goes bad or is cracked or broken away from the pcb, instead of letting the button line have a high/low state, it will act as a bridge and treat the signal as if the button is being pressed down in a closed or open state. (In this case, the coin in button it seems)

What usually happens here is at first start up you will hear a coin in sound and it will jump into the choose character menu or in other situations, you may not even be able to insert a coin.

If you get a chance, take a look at the resistors/packs and see if any are cracked or chipped or broken. If you have a multi meter, see where the signals go from the pins and try there.

hope that helps.

So I was totally confused about this post, yea the game isn't crashing at all its just in free-play.
I've never set mine to free-play so I wasn't aware it just sits on this screen when you do.

Honestly I've never understood why people use/like free play?
To me a huge joy of cab ownership is feeding actual coins into the machine before each session.
It's easier to track how you are performing if you limit your coins beforehand as well.

So I was totally confused about this post, yea the game isn't crashing at all its just in free-play.
I've never set mine to free-play so I wasn't aware it just sits on this screen when you do.

To me a huge joy of cab ownership is feeding actual coins into the machine before each session.
It's easier to track how you are performing if you limit your coins beforehand as well.
exactly this :thumbsup:

I do use freeplay when I play with friends who aren't that much used to play games :D
In other cases I don't and do like you say: I limit myself to few credits, otherwise where's the fun.

Back