What's new

traplicious

Beginner
Reaction score
Noob here.

I just got a MvC A and B board from a seller on Craigslist.

It was suicided and I am trying to install phoenix roms. I already took the battery off and cleaned everything up.

I went thru and rewrote all of the eproms using a decrypted MvC set, which I tested in FBA and worked, said Phoenix Version and everything.

However, when I start it, it shows a screen that looks like an old Windows taco screensaver, then shows a bunch of garbled messes, then just shows white.

Here's a link to a vid: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B48VhoX6xWKUZlVZNE9UeFdfb2QyeFNDbjk5ZTlmT1RSVmVV

I burned the CPS2 tester and put that in, and it said that everything it checks tested fine.

I tried shorting the pins as well and nothing.

Any thoughts?

Full disclosure: when I was writing some of the eproms, I had to select M5M27C102K instead of M5M27C402.

The writer I'm using didn't have that one. It did let me write to it though ?( . Is there another chip similar that would work instead?

I had to select M5M27C102K instead of M5M27C402
Caveat, I haven't burned any phoenix sets, but thats a 1mbit chip vs a 4mbit chip. I am guessing all the rom data is actually 4mbit, so you're dropping data. What burner do you have? You could probably load up a generic profile for a 27c402 chip, not that specific mitsubishi m5m version, and it would work.

Program ROMs are 27C4096/27C4002 - look for one of those
Be aware for 27C4002 the morons who've designed those EPROMS have thought funny to require 6.25V on Vcc during programming (I think it's the only exception in the whole 27C range where 5V is required).
I've tried many programmers without any success (QG-4X, TL066, TOP3000, etc.) except with a good ol' Dataman48 (parallel) but it takes ~1m30 to burn on chip (512kB).

Also was the board working before it suicided? I mean it's not rare a faulty game is put aside and many years later the battery dies.
In fact probably 50% of suicided stuff I get actually have an other fault (see my repair logs).

You said you "cleaned it up". Did the battery leak?

Yup. There was some red/brown corrosion on the battery.

And there was some junk on the board, but not that bad. I cleaned it off with a toothbrush and some water and it came off. didn't even really have to scrub hard

Even if you can't see it, the acid from the battery leak should be neutralized. Water didn't do it -- use some IPA on the area. Did you write those full 4mbit roms?

ive never had any luck with battery acid leaks on cps2 boards. They're usually beyond repair.

I'm in the process of rewriting all the roms.

I can't get the 06 rom to write for some reason. It's a TMS27C240

I can find it in the writer program and it's worked on other TMS27C240s, but it gives me an error when I program it.

I tried using other profiles for 27C240s as well, but it does the same thing

I erase it and check that it's blank beforehand of course

I'll get the exact error it gives me and post it

You said you tested the board with the CPS2 Suicide Tester, and it came up working and everything tested fine (should have heard music playing, as well)?

Do you still have the original roms? You only need to burn a new 03 and 04 rom. If I can make a suggestion, use the avalaunch decrypted set:

http://cps2.avalaunch.net/

Download whichever region and/or release you want. The zip file will contain all program roms, but again, you only need a new 03 and 04 for MVC. On that same token, it would be good to verify the originals if you will be reusing the original 05 - 10

And, as mentioned, for your new roms, you need 27C4096 or 27C4002.

TMS27C240 is functionally equivalent to the 27C4002, as @Apocalypse said these require a higher voltage and could well be the reason for your issues.

Replace all main program ROMs with 27C4096 if you can.

If you are in the US, can I recommend asking as member close to you to help out? Or ordering the already programmed Phoenix/Avalaunch ROMs from somewhere like buyicnow or hobbyroms ?

OK here is the error message.

I've tried writing this thing with both profiles on the programmer for 27C4002

"Error! Address:0x0B400 Buffer Data: 0x0065 Verify: 0x000"

Bad chip? Should i just get another one and try again?

And my voltages were VPP 13.00, VDD write 6.50, Verify 6.50, and Puls Delay 100us

I think it's probably a bad chip, you could try erasing it for longer and trying again but it sounds like you did that already

Error message is the same as on a TL866.

Anyway, more than likely a bad chip.

Error message is the same as on a TL866.

Anyway, more than likely a bad chip.
TL866 can't burn 27C4002, at least the versions I tried before, it might have been fixed since then.

Back