What's new
Does Cyvern use a different number of ROMs? If the PALs are the same it's possible there could be a jumper somewhere to enable/disable a differing number of ROMs.

Does Cyvern use a different number of ROMs? If the PALs are the same it's possible there could be a jumper somewhere to enable/disable a differing number of ROMs.
That's very possible. Jan Jan Paradise uses two M27C4001 Eproms in the same location which are basically the same as an 801 but half the size and slightly different pinout. Pin 1 on the 801 dictates which half of the Eprom is selected. When pin one is tied high it reads the whole rom but if it's tied low it only reads the second half.

By default pin 1 is tied high so I don't think that's whats causing the issue but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
If someone on the forums has a Cyvern conversion, maybe they could take some photos of the underside of PCB and possibly dump the two Eproms to see if they're a match to the MAME dumps.

choice of pcb

Cyvern:

VS Mahjong Otome Ryouran
VS Block Breaker
Saru-Kani-Hamu-Zou
Tel Jan
Panic Street
Jan Jan Paradise
Gals Panic SU
Gals Panic S3
Gals Panic S - Extra Edition
Gals Panic 4

Sengeki Striker:

Sen-Know
Puzz Loop
Jan Jan Paradise 2
Guts'n
Gals Panic S2

list obtained based on the positions of the roms program

I've tried both Korean and Japanese Modbios and neither of them work with the conversion. Original carts boot perfectly fine though.
Not really sure what else to try here.

filedropper.com/supernovamodbios

use this bios
I've tried the bios you uploaded specifically and it still won't boot.

Modbios installed, all MX29L3211MC chips tied to 3.3V on pin 1 and 23 using a regulator, two M27C801 Eproms programmed with cvj-even.u10, cvj-odd.u8 and installed in their respective sockets.
AFAIK that's all that's required to successfully convert and run this game.

I'm starting to think maybe it has to do with my ASIA region board? I have no idea at this stage, think I might shelf this project and focus on something else for a while :)

Last edited:
My mistake. I meant to say pin 1 and 23. I'll have a look into pin 33 also. Thanks for the tip :)

Move the 0 ohm resistor to R1
IMG_7248.JPG

Thank you! Can't believe I didn't notice that ?( . Good news is the game now boots! Bad news is that I don't have any sound, well it's making some clicking/popping noises.. kind of like it's trying to play sound but they aren't loading.

I would love a flash/multi board for this system - a lot of people have the motherboard.

Cyvern, PuzzLoop and Panic Street, Sengeki, Block Buster are brilliant fun.

Also exists for the KSNS is Cyvern Plus and a the Cave prototype Yuki Buta Man-P but the ROMS have not yet been found.

I have a Cyvern PCB, bought it just for the metal rip off soundtrack, it's a pity the sound quality on the game is so poor, mine sounds awful at least.

choice of pcb

Cyvern:

VS Mahjong Otome Ryouran
VS Block Breaker
Saru-Kani-Hamu-Zou
Tel Jan
Panic Street
Jan Jan Paradise
Gals Panic SU
Gals Panic S3
Gals Panic S - Extra Edition
Gals Panic 4

Sengeki Striker:

Sen-Know
Puzz Loop
Jan Jan Paradise 2
Guts'n
Gals Panic S2

list obtained based on the positions of the roms program
Hi @pacman70! I have some Gals Panic S Extra Edition cartridge lying around and I'm wondering if they are suitable donors for Cyvern conversion. However they have a ROM-3-BOARD. Could it be possible to make conversion with them?

Hi @pacman70! I have some Gals Panic S Extra Edition cartridge lying around and I'm wondering if they are suitable donors for Cyvern conversion. However they have a ROM-3-BOARD. Could it be possible to make conversion with them?
Hi!
I only know the pcb "rom 2 board and rom 4 board" I don't know rom 3 board.
can you take pictures of your PCBs?

Hi!I only know the pcb "rom 2 board and rom 4 board" I don't know rom 3 board.
can you take pictures of your PCBs?
Hi, I have 2 copies of Gals Panic S - Extra, one is Japan and other is Korean version. Japan version is built over ROM-3-BOARD:

UCenH1hh.jpg
-
YSGgI5Zh.jpg

And Korean version over ROM-2-BOARD:

sBjF3h7h.jpg
-
oe7YrP9h.jpg

Main differences between them are that the "3" board has no pals in it and some of the SMD TTLs are missing, but I suppose that all of that logic is integrated in the big custom SMD you can see in the first picture. All roms are labeled with same numbers between versions, placed in different gaps, though.

PD: I also noticed that one of the motherboards (Japanese one) has ugly repairs in 2 of the color signals right before the jamma edge:

H3ZK8rth.jpg

where korean one has proper smd components:

x9lNqcWh.jpg

Which is that RF-69 (transistor?) component?

Didn't we determine that the ROM boards are essentially equivalent? Several games were released on different boards with no difference in the ROM data.

Didn't we determine that the ROM boards are essentially equivalent? Several games were released on different boards with no difference in the ROM data.
yeah, I think so. Only thing needed is to determine where to place each rom in each type of board. For example GPS-102-00 is placed at U17 position in ROM-2-BOARD and at U8 in ROM-4-BOARD. It should be a one-to-one mapping in rom positions between different boards (at least in ROM-2 and ROM-3-BOARD).

Back