What's new

kevindg86

Student
Reaction score
So tell me if I have this correct, I need something like this, to connect to this, to connect to my naomi. Am I on the right track?

Depends on how your Blast is wired, JVS of Jamma?

I just haven't found any harnesses that would connect to the naomi straight up? Any idea on where they would be available?

Do you already have Jamma in the Blast?
If so, just get the Sega adapter and be done with it, if not, get the 001 loom as well.

I just haven't found any harnesses that would connect to the naomi straight up?
There is no such thing. the NAOMI is a JVS board which means that a JVS IO board is needed for the controls.

Most JVS games are designed to be installed in a JVS cabinet which means that the IO board is part of the cabinet. Your blast city has no such IO board from the factory, but the Sega JVS to JAMMA adapter that you linked in the first post is one that will work with an existing JAMMA harness.

alright that's what I needed to hear, the only other questions I got are, does the video output to the jamma goes through VGA from the naomi to the jvs to jamma adapter? And can I still use the option plug, cn8, as my kick harness using that set up?

the JVS spec uses a VGA style connector for video, the JVS to JAMMA IO board can act like a pass through, so you can run a VGA cable from the NAOMI to the IO, or run VGA from the NAOMI directly to the cab.

I don't know what your CN8 plug looks like but I'd suspect it wont match up with the expansion io connector on the Sega JVS to JAMMA board, as it's pretty unique.

Also you'll want to run power directly from your cab to the NAOMI, that IO board doesn't support power and you're better off tapping the power from the cab directly.

To me a truly great feature of the Naomi hardware is the ability to output both 15khz and 31khz video modes.

Now being an owner of a Blast City of course OP you'll want to use 31khz (aka VGA)...
But if you had a older non-tri-sync monitor cab (lets say Super Neo Candy just for reference) you could set the Naomi to 15khz output, then run a "VGA" (quotes because its sending a composited sync on pin 13 only which isn't actually VGA spec at all) cable into the Sega IO (which will then feed this 15khz video via the JAMMA standard/harness).

Only connect this to the Naomi if you set 15khz mode output (and have a older CRT limiting you to 15khz only, as Naomi looks stunning in 31khz).
ytlvgO5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To me a truly great feature of the Naomi hardware is the ability to output both 15khz and 31khz video modes.

Now being an owner of a Blast City of course OP you'll want to use 31khz (aka VGA)...
But if you had a older non-tri-sync monitor cab (lets say Super Neo Candy just for reference) you could set the Naomi to 15khz output, then run a "VGA" (quotes because its sending a composited sync on pin 13 only which isn't actually VGA spec at all) cable into the Sega IO (which will then feed this 15khz video via the JAMMA standard/harness).

Only connect this to the Naomi if you set 15khz mode output (and have a older CRT limiting you to 15khz only, as Naomi looks stunning in 31khz).
ytlvgO5.jpg
What connection do you have going to this board? Do you need 600-7143-004 and 005?

I actually have a Capcom IO...
capcom-io-board.jpg

I prefer it over the Sega IO above.

Anyway, point is all you need a JAMMA cab, the IO will convert the controls to JVS and patch-in (Naomi still must be set to 15khz) the video (if you don't have a VGA capable monitor).
In addition to this Capcom IO also handles power conversion (but not enough to also power a DIMM board).
What connection do you have going to this board?
JAMMA
Do you need 600-7143-004 and 005?
That's Blast City specific parts/harnesses that I don't give a fuck about... Do you have a JAMMA harness? Yes or No?

Don't get a Capcom IO if you have Blast. It's totally unnecessary.
I just got a capcom IO (coordinating a blast for myself) don't you need that to hook up to a Naomi?

Also

Jassin000 wrote:

In addition to this Capcom IO also handles power conversion (but not enough to also power a DIMM board).

I will be having a Blast and a Capcom IO, do you power the Naomi through the Blast itself vs the capcom IO? And is the Blast power enough to power a Dimm board or will a blast or the capcom IO only power a Naomi without a Dimm (so wouldn't handle the pitools and netbooting stuff)?

Sorry still very new to this, unsure if trying to do netbooting needs a separate power supply vs what's in the blast or capcom IO, not there yet will just have the Naomi but am looking into getting a netdimm and pi set up in the future.

Another post seemed to say you need an addition PSU.

Appreciate the help

I just got a capcom IO (coordinating a blast for myself) don't you need that to hook up to a Naomi?
Capcom IO is twice as expensive and supports a smaller list of games than the official Sega IO boards. the reason people use it is because it has a built in audio amplifier and 3.3V power converter which makes it easier to hook up to JAMMA cabs.

A blast city doesn't need those features though because it has a 3.3V capable power supply and built in stereo amp. both of which work better than the stuff built into the Capcom IO. So it's an easy decision to go with the Sega IO because you get a better end result for less money.

Reactions: nem
Derp, didn't know and already bought the Capcom IO. Is there a game list you know of in terms of what it can't do. Thanks for the explanation.

Any idea about the power supply for supporting Naomi 1 alone or with a netdimm set up?

Capcom io has no outputs. So games that require outputs on the io board won't work. For instance virtual on needs outputs for thr start lamps and won't work with a Capcom io because of it.

Most of the effected games are those with non standard controls so if you're just playing joystick&button games you'll be fine.

If you have a blast city then you won't need a separate psu for the naomi. You'll just need the correct power harness.

I still stay if you can only own one IO, no matter what you have for a cab, the Capcom is the way to go.
Is it overkill for a Blast City, sure... But part of the joy of a Naomi is how flexible a system it is.

You can pop'n it onto a VGA monitor supergun stylee, which is totally brainless/100% plug'n play with the Capcom IO+HAS.
You can put it into ANY classic JAMMA cab.
You can obviously already connect it to a JVS native cab (the Blast City occupies this strange almost full JVS space minus the controls tho).
You can even hook it to a Vewlix Diamond with the Capcom IO (because the LCD accepts VGA, includes 3.5mm audio amp, you can bypass the FastIO with the official Taito JAMMA kit).

Back