What's new

98pacecar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a number of times that folks have had issues making an SD card when using a Mac. I just did 2 of them tonight and have an easy process down that worked first time, both times. Before you do the actual format, make ABSOLUTE sure you are formatting the proper device. If you screw up and format a disk you didn't intend, I'm not responsible. If you aren't comfortable using the terminal, I suggest you continue to use whatever method you've done in the past.

Open up a terminal and type
Code:
diskutil list
This will give you a list of drives attached to your computer. You'll be able to see your SD card in the list. In my case, it's /dev/disk3. Remember this as using the incorrect device in the next step may cost you all of your data and you'll be in a world of hurt that nobody will be able to help you with.

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 8.45.58 PM.png

Next, you'll need to unmount the SD cart by typing diskutil unmountDisk and the location where your SD card is mounted (we got this in the previous step. in my case it was /dev/disk3). For me, the whole command will be
Code:
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk3
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 8.49.05 PM.png

Now that the disk is unmounted, you can format the disk by typing the following:
sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 CPS2 MBRFormat and the location where your SD card was mounted (in my case, it was /dev/disk3)
So the whole command for me will look like

Code:
sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 CPS2 MBRFormat /dev/disk3

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 8.51.41 PM.png

Once the format is complete and before you copy any files to the card, go to System Preferences/Spotlight and select the Privacy tab. Hit the + button in the lower left and select the device that corresponds to your newly formatted SD card. Highlight it and hit Choose to add it to the locations that Spotlight is not allowed to index. This will prevent the trash and dot files from being added.

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 8.53.42 PM.png

After that, you can copy the files you need to the card and eject it as normal. Should work fine in pretty much anything that uses flash media, including the CPS2, F3, and STV multis.

Back