What's new

JamStar

Beginner
Reaction score
I had a wire short somewhere in my Blast City cabinet and it melted the connector on the PSU and the male portion of the Harness. I disconnected everything and wanted to just test the PSU by itself to get some voltage readings. The PSU won’t power on now. I am currently trying to find someone local who could help me repair the PSU but if that’s not an option I need to source out a replacement. I will also need to determine what caused the short so I don’t have this happen again with another PSU. Any help at all to get my cabinet back up and running is greatly appreciated.

There should be a fuse either next to the power inlet or inside the psu?

Are you getting AC (100-120V) on the inlet side of the psu?

I’ll check the AC voltage when I get home. I located 3 fuses when I took apart the PSU.

I helped a friend diag a similar issue not too long ago it ended up being a short inside the florescent lamp fixture.

I'd start with disconnecting EVERYTHING from the PSU. replace the melted connector and replace the fuses.
then plug in one thing power on and see if a fuse pops..

then shut off, plug in the next thing and see... and so on.

If the fuse pops with nothing connected then the problem is inside the PSU box itself. You can open it up to see if you can find the fault but Yaton on eBay carries these every so often for reasonable prices.

Thank you both for your help. I am getting the proper AC voltage so I’m researching what fuses these are I need to replace. I contacted Yaton for a quote on another PSU and he says he has one but it’s 220 Volts. Would I be good to use a converter plug or do I need some type of step down transformer to make this compatible in the US?

it’s also funny you mention the marquee TwistedSymphony. Mine shipped with a marquee light non working and I just assumed it was a burned out bulb. Maybe I have the same issue as your friend.

Most likely it's just a burned out bulb or a starter, but it can happen. I actually had it happen to me just yesterday. Put a new bulb in place in an untested marquee light, switched on the cab and nothing happened. The cab didn't turn on at all. Checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown. It also blew the new bulb! Marquee light got a new ballast and all is well.

yeah the starters seem to fail more frequently than the bulbs. it's a good idea to just replace them both when you get a cab with a non-working marquee light.

I contacted Yaton for a quote on another PSU and he says he has one but it’s 220 Volts. Would I be good to use a converter plug or do I need some type of step down transformer to make this compatible in the US?
220 wont work in the USA, that's designed for Europe and Hong Kong. that's a whole other headache you don't want to have to deal with.

yeah the starters seem to fail more frequently than the bulbs. it's a good idea to just replace them both when you get a cab with a non-working marquee light.

I contacted Yaton for a quote on another PSU and he says he has one but it’s 220 Volts. Would I be good to use a converter plug or do I need some type of step down transformer to make this compatible in the US?
220 wont work in the USA, that's designed for Europe and Hong Kong. that's a whole other headache you don't want to have to deal with.
I have a Blast with a 220v PSU but it has been adapted(?) with another transformer internally to work in the US on 120v.

There's also "step up" external transformers I believe.

Back