What's new

Blackfish

Professional
Reaction score
Need A ROM Tester

Hey, does anyone have a Psikyo - Strikers 1945 board they could test some ROMs on?

I've been testing one of my faulty unidentified boards and have dumped the ROM's but only the audio ROM3 seems to be identified by RomIdent online as Strikers 1945 (Japan, Unprotected). Was wondering if someone could check the ROM4 and ROM5 images on their board to see if they work or if they have been corrupted.

Have you tested them in Mame yet?

I have a Strikers board here if Mame gives a different result than on your board.

I didn't have a working copy of MAME. Now I have and have tried it but it comes back with as incorrect length on the program ROMs

and did you save them in binary format, not hex?

did you dump them as the correct sized chip? Even if they were corrupted they would be the correct length if you dumped them properly.
Yes, correctly identified as AMD27C2048 @DIP40 they are the original roms with factory Psikyo labels.

IMG_1310.jpg

and did you save them in binary format, not hex?
Yes .bin Unzipped MAME rom replaced the 3 Roms with the same identifiers eg u39 named the same and zipped up and loaded. The audio ROM (u71) seems to be fine.

Just u39 and u46 seem to be a problem. One thing I'm noticing though is the screen printing under the sockets is marked as 27C4096 so I'm wondering if some were produced in the factory on different size ROM chips. This would also make sense as the incorrect length was half.

Would that make these Undumped ROMS or just the same ROMs on a smaller chip?

Also this Strikers 1945 is on the SH403 board not the SH404 that I seem to be finding on most of the repair logs.

IMG_1312.JPG

And yes it is not in the greatest condition hence, the repair job. Hopefully I can figure out what is wrong and get it going again. At the moment it just boot to a white screen with garbled tiles.The tiles change position on every boot.

IMG_1313.jpg

You can try splitting your roms to the same size as in MAME and seeing if that works.

You can try splitting your roms to the same size as in MAME and seeing if that works.
I think the problem is that mine are smaller so half the size of the ROMs in MAME. Is there a way to double the size of the file to match it?

I think the problem is that mine are smaller so half the size of the ROMs in MAME. Is there a way to double the size of the file to match it?
there is a command line you can use to double roms but I made a bat file to do it...

unzip this then drag your rom file on to it and it will create new file twice the size

Attachments

• rom_drag_double.zip
    286 bytes · Views: 291
Thanks @twistedsymphony I've done this and added it back into the ROM set and when I load it in MAME I just get a checksum error and it shuts down.

I have looked at the code using WinHex and it does look similar to the MAME rom although a lot smaller.

I'm also running MAME 0.194 I compiled for OSX and as its been a long time and I've never used the OSX version before I'm in full noob mode and can't get it to open in debug mode.

Very interesting!

Double checked romident v0.198, U39+U46 are NO MATCH

Plugged your roms into MAME, game boots and is playable (using s1945jn set, replacing U39+U46)

Would need to get someone more familiar with this mame driver to confirm, but looks like a new undumped set to me!

Can I submit these for review, with "credit: Blackfish" ?

Can I submit these for review, with "credit: Blackfish"
Of course you can! :thumbsup:

I'm glad you were able to test them and get them working. I realised that when I compiled my version of MAME I didn't add the debug tools so I'll have to do a new compile.

Could I ask you for a hi-res picture of the PCB please ?
How Hi-Res would you like it? My partner is a photographer so just let me know the Res and format you'd like and I'll ask her nicely. I'll PM you a download link when its done.

Now I just need to get the board working. It's not in the best of shape. Looks like its had a hard life, but I'm sure its fixable.

Could I ask you for a hi-res picture of the PCB please ?
How Hi-Res would you like it? My partner is a photographer so just let me know the Res and format you'd like and I'll ask her nicely. I'll PM you a download link when its done.
Now I just need to get the board working. It's not in the best of shape. Looks like its had a hard life, but I'm sure its fixable.
Thank you :)

4 megapixels please ...

Normal JPG will do fine.

Cool, I'll get a picture for you tomorrow when the sun comes back out. 8)

Awesome!!

No worries! I'm glad to be putting something back into the community.

Thanks for testing it out.

Now I have to get the board working again.

:D

Reactions: rtw
Back