What's new
interesting.

he's got the original protection/ide controller - and it looks unmolested.
it also looks like he's using the original bootrom.

so he's modified the data on the disk image.
the only other thing i see is he's combined all the soundroms onto a flash with some extra wires for the addresslines.

so his next step is to hack the bootrom to boot from a different filename or starting sector - and combine the disk images! :D

I'm deeply curious about this. Anyone speak russian that can talk to him and give us instructions?

interesting.

he's got the original protection/ide controller - and it looks unmolested.
it also looks like he's using the original bootrom.

so he's modified the data on the disk image.
the only other thing i see is he's combined all the soundroms onto a flash with some extra wires for the addresslines.

so his next step is to hack the bootrom to boot from a different filename or starting sector - and combine the disk images! :D
He's not using the original boot ROM. The label on the boot ROM says it's a music/speech ROM.

He's taken a larger EPROM and put both boot ROMs on it and the switch selects high or low address space (he's cleverly used the 4/8mb boot ROM size selection jumper to do that)

Here is mine , I really just need his sound rom template , I wanted a drop in replacement not a mod, but I can make his a drop in since I see how he did it.

Attachments

• FE6306D3-FEED-4105-A99E-DB4B54AA1FB6.jpeg
    FE6306D3-FEED-4105-A99E-DB4B54AA1FB6.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 491
He's taken a larger EPROM and put both boot ROMs on it and the switch selects high or low address space (he's cleverly used the 4/8mb boot ROM size selection jumper to do that)
From the pictures it doesn't look like he's actually bank-switching the Boot ROM. Is it possible he's patched the boot ROM to work with either game and negate the need for a different IDE controller IC?

really just need his sound rom template
Bank switching the Sound ROMs should be trivial. I think the real question is how is he swapping games without also swapping the IDE controller IC?

his boot rom is the same as mine , he’s using the 4mb /8mb grounding switch to bank select

Your right , he might have bypassed the U1, if so then this kit will be easily duplicated . I made mine with U1 from original KI2 adapter

if you look at mame, the only difference is the ide commands,
so you could bypass protection by patching the code.

Does the controller work 'both ways' and as a black box?
If so why not read/dump the KI2 disk with the adapter in between and on PC?
Would the result not be a disk image that runs on a KI1 board, without the need for the adapter? :)

(And yes, i am assuming at this point, the KI2 hdd dumps we have are done of a plain disk on a PC, without the adapter in between.)

an interesting idea,
but do we have anybody with the coversion-kit??

the pld is NOT the same as the one soldered to the dedicated board, and the disk images do not match either.

actually, that sounds too easy.
they must have put some type of lock in the adapter that waits for some harmless-looking command sequence before letting the drive be read.

all theory of course! :D

an interesting idea,
but do we have anybody with the coversion-kit??

the pld is NOT the same as the one soldered to the dedicated board, and the disk images do not match either.
I do have 2 conversion kits

Back