What's new
As an FYI, you can buy a ready made ne555 recoil board on eBay for very little money.i got two for $10 delivered. I couldn't buy the components to make one myself for that money.

Here is a video of me testing it with one of my fixed arcade guns with mame.

Just search for "ne555 signal generator". You can use them with any solenoid gun. I use them with my Guncon 2 projects too although my main Guncon 2 gun is a converted Operation Thunder hurricane rifle which uses a recoil motor instead of a solenoid.

I'm only a tinkerer, so I wouldn't even know how i'd wire it up for the gcon2 + solenoid unless it's in a diagram :D

I'm only a tinkerer, so I wouldn't even know how i'd wire it up for the gcon2 + solenoid unless it's in a diagram :D
Believe me, I am barely a tinkerer. I hate electronics projects or anything that involves soldering. Even with a diagram I didn't have the patience to make it myself which is why I bought it ready-made. I love Syntax's work but I'm just not that guy.

I only figured out the wiring through trial and error. Luckily for me, the ne555 boards only have 3 wires to connect. I couldn't figure out how to trigger the NE555 board from the light gun trigger directly so I bought a ready made mosfet board which is powered by a standard phone charger. With that, I only had to connect the trigger and ground wires.

I am sure there are better ways to do it than my method but none that I have the patience for. I tried to use mame hooker once but it was the least intuitive program ever and it filled my heart with murderous thoughts. so frustrating.

Believe me, I am barely a tinkerer. I hate electronics projects or anything that involves soldering. Even with a diagram I didn't have the patience to make it myself which is why I bought it ready-made. I love Syntax's work but I'm just not that guy.

I only figured out the wiring through trial and error. Luckily for me, the ne555 boards only have 3 wires to connect. I couldn't figure out how to trigger the NE555 board from the light gun trigger directly so I bought a ready made mosfet board which is powered by a standard phone charger. With that, I only had to connect the trigger and ground wires.

I am sure there are better ways to do it than my method but none that I have the patience for. I tried to use mame hooker once but it was the least intuitive program ever and it filled my heart with murderous thoughts. so frustrating.
Forgive me for how stupid I am, and also for bumping an old thread, but I recently had a traumatizing experience trying to get a point blank 2 cabinet I had been working on for the last 3 months into my basement. Won't fit. Had to pay someone to pull it out of my stairwell after it got stuck. Ugh.
Anyways, I have two Namco recoil guns doing nothing as the arcade sits in storage until I figure out what to do next. I'd love to be able to use them with my PS2 (and perhaps ps1, Dreamcast, Xbox).
I think I understand most of this project, but the wiring diagram for the recoil circuits is beyond me.
What are the ready made parts that you reference? Could you point me in the right direction for those?

Thanks

Back