What's new
Getting the mini 8 DIN PCB connectors isn't a problem. My main concern is the cable as they're not as readily available to purchase. The OSSC has scart input now and doesn't even utilise a mini 8 DIN. It's the future of upscaling and I'm not really interested in supporting legacy devices such as the XRGB etc. So I'm left wondering if the mini 8 is the best choice?
It's not about supporting legacy devices like the Framemeister, it's about having the circuit designed properly on the board and not worrying about components in a cable. Passthrough cables are by far the best option. Also, Rachael sells them on her site and if you let her know when you're product will be up for sale, she'll probably keep an extra amount in stock to compensate.

https://retro-access.com/collections/other/products/8-pin-male-mini-din-to-male-rgb-scart

This way people can just buy a good passthrough cable directly from that store, using a connector that'll be around for awhile.

Sorry for the double post - Just to clarify though:

In practice, it's best to have the resistors as close to the amp as possible, but you're correct, it won't make a different with a properly built cable. "Properly built" is the HUGE problem everyone has though. If you get new MD2 cables from Retro-Access or Retro Gaming Cables, they'll work absolutely fine. Everything else is a roll of the dice, including OFFICIAL Sega MD2 cables. Seriously.

Rene from dbElectronics ran into this issue and it was a major headache. The only reason he didn't switch to the other connector is he already had shipped so many to customers, he didn't want to have one rev of a board with the MD2 and the rest with a different connector.

I'm just trying to save you some aggravation from the people who will buy a $4 Aliexpress cable, then complain to you when your supergun "is outputting the wrong voltage on all four RGBs lines" :/ All of that crap can be avoided by putting all components on the board and using a pre-built passthrough cable.

Funny you mention cheap Aliexpress cables. I actually ordered one for kicks, it's exactly what you would expect. Good for the money but poorly constructed. The cable isn't shielded and they used hot glue everywhere in the scart housing. To its credit it was correctly wired with all the required components. There was a minor difference in quality between it and a RetroGamingCables cable as far as audio/video, slight hum in the audio and a bit of interference on screen.

@Frank_fjs maybe you could offer a ‘deluxe +’ package including correct cable?
I would be first in line ;)
I will consider it. I make my own cables for personal use but to be honest it's a tedious task and not one that I enjoy. The thought of adding another step to the supergun assembly process is daunting! Soldering together the supergun board alone is easily one hours work, then there's the video hat and Snes adapters as well, let alone the kick harnesses and arcade PSU harness!

Digesting all the info though I can see how utilising the mini 8 DIN is going to be the best option. I'll just suck it up and start assembling some cables!

I have no idea how feasible this is, but if you go with mini DIN-9, maybe you could add a switch for attenuating RGB by 75 ohms? Then you would simply set the switch based on whether you have Genesis 2 cables with resistors or not?

I will consider it. I make my own cables for personal use but to be honest it's a tedious task and not one that I enjoy. The thought of adding another step to the supergun assembly process is daunting! Soldering together the supergun board alone is easily one hours work, then there's the video hat and Snes adapters as well, let alone the kick harnesses and arcade PSU harness!
Digesting all the info though I can see how utilising the mini 8 DIN is going to be the best option. I'll just suck it up and start assembling some cables!
I'd offload it and just talk to one of the 2 premium cable vendors and get a bulk deal from them.

I will consider it. I make my own cables for personal use but to be honest it's a tedious task and not one that I enjoy. The thought of adding another step to the supergun assembly process is daunting! Soldering together the supergun board alone is easily one hours work, then there's the video hat and Snes adapters as well, let alone the kick harnesses and arcade PSU harness!Digesting all the info though I can see how utilising the mini 8 DIN is going to be the best option. I'll just suck it up and start assembling some cables!
I'd offload it and just talk to one of the 2 premium cable vendors and get a bulk deal from them.
Or this!
I have all my cables from RGC and that is the one bit I don’t like about the HAS; getting a cable... ;)

That’s why I loved your idea on the MD2 cable

I must admit I still enjoy the idea of using MD2 cables. I already have a heap of MD2 PCB jacks on hand with more on order. The components inside the cable are required anyhow so it's fine for them to be present.

But thinking ahead it would be nice to perpetuate the standard of utilising mini 8 DIN for all similar projects. Tim W uses this standard for his RGB Nes and 2600 mods. I believe the XRGB uses this connector. HAS is using it as well as a few other sguns.

I like the idea of contacting the major cable producers and see if we can get them onboard.

What's the pinout like on the DB15? Curious if your SNES/MD adapters will work on the HAS... If that's possible do you have any intention of selling them separately?

Would the HDRetrovision Genesis(MegaDrive) cables with the Genesis2(MD2) cable adapter work with this? Those are cables that have really good build quality. I am also interested in one of this supergun.

I'm using the same pinout as Undamned so I believe the Snes adapters should work with the HAS. I've attached a pic of the pinout for reference. The pic represents looking into the male DB15 of the supergun. Re the Snes controller, the 4 x main face buttons follow the same layout as the Neo CD pad. L shoulder button is button 5 and R is 6. Select is coin and start is start. I could make these available separately if people are interested.

Personally I enjoy using the Snes adapter with an 8Bitdo bluetooth Snes receiver. Having a wireless pad is really handy sometimes.

Yes you can use Retrovision component cables. Can also use standalone component converters such as the Shinybow/CSY-2100.

Attachments

• DB15.png
    DB15.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 503
I would never have a use for a SuperGun. Prefer arcade gaming in a cab. But just want to say thanks for lending your skills and passion to the arcade hobby. And yeah, keep the LPF disabled on the video amp by default.

Thanks!

I was the same but for some reason I tend to enjoy gaming on the TV better. I have an Astro City which I adore but sometimes I prefer the comfort of a TV.

I've ordered some 7316s and will go with these as they don't require me altering the design at all. I did test the 7374s but I have no need for the 4th channel and soldering down the 7316s is much easier. I can't spot a visual difference between the two. I can spot a very minor difference between the 7314 and 7316 but not much at all really.

I've been speaking to Rob at https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/

He may be willing to produce and stock the mini 8 DIN cables if he feels assured that there's enough demand for them.

So if you want to make it happen feel free to send him a message expressing this.
That would mean they also work with HAS right?
Perhaps HAS users could reach out to him as well so show the demand?

Back