What's new
The VGA video hat doesn't output a VGA 31kHz signal. It outputs 15kHz RGB and is designed for direct connection to an OSSC.
I have no intentions of purchasing an OSSC but I do own an “RGB/CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA HD Arcade Game Video Converter“ as pictured. It was intended to hook to my SuperGun for a standard NTSC VGA output. Is the Sentinel with the VGA hat compatible with this device? I do not plan to purchase even more adapters when I already have this equipment.

Attachments

• 04A19AD3-D5D9-4106-AD12-4AAFF126E2A8.png
    04A19AD3-D5D9-4106-AD12-4AAFF126E2A8.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 212
Yes that device is completely compatible, I have one myself!

Although one wouldn't necessarily need to use the VGA hat of the Sentinel. You could also utilise the 5 pin RGBS header of that encoder and connect it to the Sentinel video output headers directly.

It doesn't cost $28 to ship within Australia. Why should we here pay that extra $28? We get shafted internationally plus get shafted locally with the Australia tax?
It's not the Aussie tax. The Aussie tax is local tools ripping off local fools who don't know better. You know "Sanwa JLF Stick: $59.99 + GST. Balltop, extra $6.95 (two colours available: Black and Red)".

Theres plenty of products from Aliexpress, for example, that offer "Free Worldwide Shipping". It's a business model that I'm quite fond of, you take a loss here, you make it up there, and in the end, it all adds up and everyone gets a good deal.

Consider the Supergun flat rate shipping pricing against a couple of other factors:

1. A fluctuating (shitty) exchange rate
2. Simplicity and comparable pricing

It's basically the Big Mac index, but for the Sentinel :) Paying that extra $10 does NOTHING more but line the pockets of a local Aussie who's poured blood, sweat & tears (let alone a pretty big chunk of his savings) into development. I'm pretty sure Frank's goal (not speaking for him here, but I'm guessing), after doing the initial math, was to absorb a loss of $10 to get the product overseas.

Just a good guy who's proud of his product and wanting it to be out there in the world making peanuts for his labour. I consider him a good mate, and I know whatever $ he's put into this thing, he's not going to see it back anytime quickly at the prices he's charging soldering the components by hand.

Personally I also feel we basically offer two quite different products, and for the parts count on the Sentinel I think Frank's price is fair, especially because he also assembles it himself, which is a royal pain if you need to make more than just a few units.
@RGB -- I'm sorry I was off on the quote, I know the Saturn adapters are considerably more expensive and harder to source parts for. Definitely not a jab at the HAS whatsoever as I've been following it over on the shmups forum for a while and like how it's matured and still growing. Just had to get things a little closer on estimates :)

Reactions: RGB
It doesn't cost $28 to ship within Australia. Why should we here pay that extra $28? We get shafted internationally plus get shafted locally with the Australia tax?
It's not the Aussie tax. The Aussie tax is local tools ripping off local fools who don't know better. You know "Sanwa JLF Stick: $59.99 + GST. Balltop, extra $6.95 (two colours available: Black and Red)".
Theres plenty of products from Aliexpress, for example, that offer "Free Worldwide Shipping". It's a business model that I'm quite fond of, you take a loss here, you make it up there, and in the end, it all adds up and everyone gets a good deal.

Consider the Supergun flat rate shipping pricing against a couple of other factors:

1. A fluctuating (shitty) exchange rate
2. Simplicity and comparable pricing

It's basically the Big Mac index, but for the Sentinel :) Paying that extra $10 does NOTHING more but line the pockets of a local Aussie who's poured blood, sweat & tears (let alone a pretty big chunk of his savings) into development. I'm pretty sure Frank's goal (not speaking for him here, but I'm guessing), after doing the initial math, was to absorb a loss of $10 to get the product overseas.

Just a good guy who's proud of his product and wanting it to be out there in the world making peanuts for his labour. I consider him a good mate, and I know whatever $ he's put into this thing, he's not going to see it back anytime quickly at the prices he's charging soldering the components by hand.
Like I said, I wasnt shitting on him, his work, his price or anything. The price upon reflection is good for what it is and what's gone into it. The $16 difference isn't a huge deal but what doesn't make sense is that Frank is probably going to sell a lot more sentinels outside of Oz and would take a loss on each one but charge it to us instead? That doesn't make business sense at all.
I don't even plan to personally enjoy the sentinel as a private item, it was basically a setup for fighting game community meets to keep SSFIIT alive in the scene as the one person that actually brought a CPS2 setup ghosted us and said he didn't want to do it anymore. When you have to pay for all the stuff yourself with no help it all adds up and puts a huge dent in your pocket.

Aliexpress does worldwide free shipping cause it literally costs cents to ship stuff from China.

Anyway no point flogging this anymore, I've already been feeling pretty down lately and didn't intend to start an issue over this and get deeper in the dumps. I'm sorry I said anything in the first place.

Yes that device is completely compatible, I have one myself!

Although one wouldn't necessarily need to use the VGA hat of the Sentinel. You could also utilise the 5 pin RGBS header of that encoder and connect it to the Sentinel video output headers directly.
EXCELLENT! I am not entirely sure what that means without a diagram, but this has very much reignited my interest in getting my Model2B Virtual-ON board up and running! However, Virtual-ON used a ridiculous amount of buttons to operate, but I plan on repurposing the board to install the JPN Sonic the Fighters ROMs on the board! I will very much be monitoring this thread but I don't want to commit just yet, as I would like others who probably deserve higher priority to take the first few batches of superguns (if the first few batches aren't already claimed in a queue already :P )!

We have a interest list going and orders will be in the order of that list. I’m happy to add you to it and when your name comes up you’ll be given the option to order or not :)

Oh nice, thank you very much for the information then, when you are ready to start taking orders should i follow this thread or do you have a twitter or page to follow?
I just saw this, at this point there is an interest list, I will add you to it :)

All information on ordering will be in a new thread which will be linked here once that happens

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a Sentinel including accessories, please add me to the list.

Hey Frank, it's Patrick from Facebook.

Love how this project is coming along, Definitely add me to the interest list!

I am also interested in a supergun + Composite and s-video with 3.5mm audio hat + megadrive controller adapter in kit form if possible.
I have not read the whole thread yet so I don't know if there is anything more to do atm?
Thanks!

Yeah, we happy. :D

Composite video looks great, s-video looks great but always did, RGB is exactly what you'd expect, awesome.

Having a switch to enable / disable the LPF will be handy for OSSC users when utilising VGA.

Glad I finally have the design as I like. Now I can get some ordering and assembly happening and start shipping out...

educate me again on LPF to confirm my assumption;

- CRT - no LPF needed
- LCD - LPF needed
- OSSC - no LPF needed on Scart input, but LFP needed on VGA input (as the OSSC does not have LPF on the VGA)

And as a rule, no more than 1 LPF in the chain

Last edited:
Spot on @PascalP

Issue with the OSSC and VGA is that the LPF is always enabled and can't be disabled. Meaning if the supergun is applying an LPF, on top of the LPF the OSSC is applying, the image quality degrades.

Won't be an issue with the Sentinel as I'm utilising the THS7374 and have incorporated a switch to enable or disable the LPF as you desire.

Back