What's new
My idea of a kit is nothing installed.

The kit is a bare board and all components

I built the last prototype in kit form and it took about 3 hours, same as Frank's build time.

Short of ordering the boards populated with SMD components I don't even think using a skillet or oven with a stencil and paste will be much faster since components still have to be placed individually - but this method does make everything look awfully pretty

Just takes time to do it right. I take breaks here and there too.

Once the actual supergun board is soldered I then need to configure the voltmeter and RGB pots. Then test every single function. Then hand crimp a power cable and kick harness cable. Assemble controller hats, video hats, organise the plexi base and hardware. It's a time consuming ordeal.

Getting most of the SMD components machine soldered with PCB production is a viable option and one that I endeavour to look into. Setting this up is another time consuming task as I need to organise a BOM and stencil, organise supply of parts etc. Once the initial setup is done it will be a lot smoother and easier.

Short of ordering the boards populated with SMD components I don't even think using a skillet or oven with a stencil and paste will be much faster since components still have to be placed individually - but this method does make everything look awfully pretty
Considering that the pitch on both ICs is pretty easy to handle, more time would probably be spent with the manual pick-and-place. Solder paste does give some very beautiful joints and aligned components though!

There's 3 ICs, the CXA2075 and LM1881 are easy, the THS7374 has a finer pitch and requires some care. There's also a tiny SMD oscillator.

The through hole stuff is a breeze, but the jamma edge does take a little bit of time to solder neatly.

Hello,

I saw that you might be making the Sentinel in kit form. How much would it be that way? I might be interested in 2, depending on the price.

Thanks for the help,

Rob

Hello, I expressed interest on the Sentinel back in August of last year and I wanted to know if I’m on the list.

Thanks

Would love one of these too, can I also get added to the list. Thanks!

I've slowly started dispatching some units. I'm still not in a position to dedicate as much time to this project as I'd like, hopefully my personal life settles down soon and I can get back in the swing of things.

This is a kit for a customer that will be despatched Monday:

56232131_10216924583159864_2913473610494509056_n.jpg

Im a mid tier hero!!! -victory poses with whiskey in hand-

looking great Franl_Fjs!
so can kits be dispatched sooner? I am also interested in one

for the last few hours i've been soldering and now i'm finished with the worst part - most of the smd stuff. Since I'm a bit insecure about the placement of the parts, could @Frank_fjs or @xodaraP perhaps take a short look, it would really make me feel better ;(

IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG

If all is correct up to this point i'll finish it up tomorrow, the rest should be a breeze then.

Sorry, for being so dumb :/ , i just don't want to f* it up...

Back