What's new
I'm not putting anyone down, but to me right now it looks no different than RGB's HAS... So why would I buy one of these over his product?Unless I can be swayed with a super low sticker price, I'm just not going to.

You need to come up with a feature that no one else has, but everyone wants or at least could make use of, you need to be unique... Otherwise why bother?
Couple of reasons (please correct me if any of these are wrong and I'll change it):

1) You live in Australia, shipping is disgustingly expensive here and now everything has an import tax on top of that

2) Composite video output option - outside of Europe SCART is far less common. I've had trouble finding a SCART compatible CRT here even though some people fall over them in piles on the street

2.5) S-Video output - see above

3) -5v generator (Negatron) which is able to be turned on or off

4) DIP switches to enable/disable buttons 4/5/6 at the JAMMA edge (which I believe was an idea you floated)

5) Because it's ok to have options

At the end of the day the HAS is a great product and it will continue to be, we now have another Supergun coming onto the market. Being spoiled for choice as far as I'm concerned is not a bad thing :)

Last edited:
I have a HAS and will also get at least one of these as I see them as a good alternative and the current waiting list for the HAS is quite long.

I like the onboard S-Video as I use the S-Video adapter on my HAS a lot. Being in NZ we also don't have many SCART TV's except for the Loewe brand and although these are nice TV's they aren't really suited to gaming with all the digital processing they do.

I think the idea of a JVS Supergun isn't that bad of an idea in theory. It would be great to get rid of the Jamma connector and attached IO board if you could integrate it. You would also get rid of the standard RGB processing I imagine and just have some form of sync cleaning circuit so the signal from the attached HW becomes more consumer TV friendly. I would treat this a seperate system from a Jamma Supergun though. Realistically all the new HW is based on some form of JVS, so a JVS supergun is inevitable. So it will really just be who gets around to designing something first.

If this project progresses JVS Emulator you'd be half way there. Maybe just and additional video processing attachment and its done.

I think from what I saw this Supergun was about half the price of the HAS without shipping.

Don't get me wrong HAS is a premium top notch supergun but the sentinel seems like an awesome alternative that I can get locally for practically similar functions of the HAS along with pico PSU support.

Is there a time frame for release @Frank_fjs ? :)

Is there a time frame for release @Frank_fjs ? :)
I've finalised the current design, fixed up all the hiccups and placed a small order for 5 x PCBs which have already been fabricated and are on their way as we speak. Expecting delivery late next week or early the following week. I will assemble, test and confirm operation and also send a few test units out.

The following people will be testing in a variety of conditions:

@djsheep
@xodaraP
@SmokeMonster
@tagis

All tests going well I'll begin production and sale.

I'm all stocked up on parts so the only wait will be for the PCBs to be produced and shipped, then my assembly time. It takes an hour, at least, to assemble a single unit then it needs to be tested. Add packaging, customs forms etc and it's very time consuming unfortunately, especially juggling a regular day job and family.

I'm not looking at directly competing with the HAS, RGB has done an amazing job and I can't top his efforts. What I can offer is a great, well thought out product at a cheaper price point, most likely half the price in fact. One that I believe is better than other various superguns on the market and one that is available in Australia.

I'll be doing a full review (as I suspect @SmokeMonster probably might as well) testing all functionality and posting it here as I did with the V1 unit

@The Spaniard if you have any questions or if there's anything you want to see let me know - for reference here's the PCBs I'll be testing with (or some combination thereof) and my reasoning:

- Mortal Kombat 2 (picky on voltage, weird sync, seperate sound board so draws more power and requires -5v)

- Killer Instinct (even more picky on voltage, extra draw with HDD and requires -5v)

- Double Dragon (fairly heavy draw and needs -5v)

- CPS2 multi (uses kick harness)

- CPS3 multi (same reason)

- Neo Geo MVS MV-1F w/ King of Fighters '98 (uses 4 buttons on JAMMA edge)

- Neo Geo MVS MV-1FZ w/ Metal Slug X (because it's awesome and I'm going to play it on another type of MVS board, just because MVS is known to give issues with sync etc)

- Atomiswave King of Fighters Neowave (uses 5 buttons on JAMMA edge)

I'm happy to try some more unusual stuff on it if I have it, and I know @djsheep will be throwing Cave stuff at it

If there's a particular board you'd like to see running and I have it (you can see what I have in my KLOV profile in my signature) let me know

@Frank_fjs has already done quite a bit of testing so I don't foresee any problems but that's no excuse not to put it through its paces :)

I've also just bought a UD-USB so I'll be able to play with it using my stick which will be good

Last edited:
You need to come up with a feature that no one else has, but everyone wants or at least could make use of, you need to be unique... Otherwise why bother?
5) Because it's ok to have options
EXACTLY -- Muchos respectos to @Frank_fjs for making awesome things, 'nuff said.

I'm happy to try some more unusual stuff on it if I have it, and I know @djsheep will be throwing Cave stuff at it
Yes :)

I'll be testing the Supergun with RetroGamingCables.co.uk MegaDrive 2 RGB cable and a 700w ATX Power Supply on a couple of Sony PVM's, a couple of Sony Trinitron TV's with S-Video and Composite. Aside from that I have a Framemeister fired up and ready.

I'll be testing the @Darksoft Neo Geo, F3, ST-V and CPS-2 multi's. I also have the @Apocalypse Irem M72 multi forthcoming so if that gets here in time, that too will get a early run alongside the G-Net and PGM stuff.

Beside the Cave boards, I have stuff from SEGA, Konami, Mitchell, Namco, etc. -- So it's gunna have a good workout here.

If anyone out there looking at this product want's something tested in particular. Be sure to mention it here because someone on the list's bound to be able to test it. I'll be doing a review and list of things tested / photos, etc.

Stoked!

Last edited:
@Frank_fjs
If you need more Aussie testers, I would be willing to help testing out as well.
  • CPS3 Darksoft Multi
  • CPS2 Super Street Fighter 2
  • NeogeoMVS MV-1C(UniBios 4) with chinese 161 in 1 cartridge
  • Pandora Box 4S (with nonstandard jamma edge)
  • TVs to be tested on will be: B&O MX8000, Sony BVM-d24e1wu, Sony BVM-D20F1A, Sony BVM-1416P

Also sign me up for pre-order list for first production unit because I think you are hitting sweet spot in term of price and features here.
Would be nice if there is a remapping options like in HAS supergun though

I only have x 5 boards coming in and x 4 are already reserved plus I'd like to have one for myself :P

I've been testing with a Pico without issue.

Awesome :)

I have 2 HAS's and love them, but I'm very excited for this option and I'm glad Frank_fjs is taking the time to do it right.

I have 4 System 2x6s that I need to fire up all at once for 4p Gundam!

definitely following.. any chance of 3p - 4p support for games like dungeons and dragons , alien v predator or sunset riders?

definitely following.. any chance of 3p - 4p support for games like dungeons and dragons , alien v predator or sunset riders?
For 3/4 player support in Sunset Riders, you'll need to build a cable like this. I posted a write-up just for you @beast1x5 :D
_DSC2595_2.jpg

If someone donates me an AVP board I can pretty much guarantee 3P/4P support (and a free supergun to go with it)! Pushing my luck but I love that game however won't pay the price it commands.

I have the single board version of Marvel vs Capcom CPS2 (its missing its black shell tho).
I could convert this to AvP by writing the SIMM with my Darksoft CPS3 setup, and even flash the key so you could run the original encrypted version.

As mentioned, I'd want something more than one supergun with 3p/4p support...
Well for AvP anyway, if you wanted just my MvC board to convert yourself I'd take trade 1-for-1.

It sure is. I'm going to send him mine on a long term loan so we can make this happen (I have it in my CPS2 multi as well)

In the meantime we'll work on finding a cheap donor for a permanent conversion :)

I still have my pristine AvP board that had the case that got all smashed up. The case was mint too, dont have the case as had to surrender it for postal insurance. I'm still on the lookout for a JP or US case for it ^^

Back