What's new
Well, if you want the best, packapunch from retrogamingcables.

There's not that many scart cable producers out there to warrant me testing any. I've found what I like based upon my personal experiences and am happy sticking with it.

I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of cables I don't need, nor do I have the money to spare. Shipping to and from Australia is rather expensive these days too so recouping costs won't be trivial.

More than 10 minutes work when you consider the time to research and discover vendors, order, wait, test, disassemble, write something up, advertise for sale, go through the sales transaction, package, trip to the post office, fill out customs form, post.

Yeah that's way too time consuming for me!
Might take you 10 minutes to order from the 2 major places, seems you already have one so that's 5 minutes, 10 minutes to test it works fine. 5 minutes to make a few lines of text saying that this cable <link> works great. 20mins over 2 separate days ezpz job's done!
Frank just gave his experiences with two cables above. That's more than enough. Cheap? Order from Aliexpress. Want superb quality or have deep pockets? Order from retrogamingcables.co.uk.
I'm pretty sure anyone can make their mind up from that post alone. Want to try a different option? Go and buy it and report back to the community your experience. People expect, and (even worse) demand way too much these days from people doing good things for the community and their hobbies. It's honestly embarrassing.

NOTE: People who make multi kits, superguns, flash carts, cool arcade projects, etc. ARE NOT your personal concierge there to answer every demand, or customisation you think would be the best for their product. I ain't doing shit but being a fan good things and this constant banter and harassment toward the "do-ers" of the community gets a tad bit old and frustrating after a while.
Calm down with the assumptions there buddy, they don't even make sense when you look at both my posts. The first one was a suggestion that would potentially save him some headaches in the future with people complaining that his product doesn't work because of their bad cable choices, second one was clarifying the suggestion. You might notice things like "2 major places" referring to here and here, one of which he has already done anyway and "few lines of text" indicating that these are recommended.

Can we leave it at that? A misunderstanding.

Well, if you want the best, packapunch from retrogamingcables.

There's not that many scart cable producers out there to warrant me testing any. I've found what I like based upon my personal experiences and am happy sticking with it.

I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of cables I don't need, nor do I have the money to spare. Shipping to and from Australia is rather expensive these days too so recouping costs won't be trivial.

More than 10 minutes work when you consider the time to research and discover vendors, order, wait, test, disassemble, write something up, advertise for sale, go through the sales transaction, package, trip to the post office, fill out customs form, post.
I understand but you've blown my suggestion way out of proportion. Also recouping the cost is actually trivial, you would only need to buy one, I've stated that I'm very keen to purchase 4 of your superguns and I'll be happy to buy the cable off you.

I wasn't trying to suggest you make some massive undertaking. All I was suggesting is that you might want to test out the other major RGB scart supplier so that you could write something like this on the product info/sales page to save some potential headaches (edit - and if you don't want to that's fine!):

RGB Cables

Your Sentinel Supergun does not come with RGB cables. It uses a standard Genesis RGB connector, you could try your luck with cheap cables, however I have tested and recommend:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/packapunch-range/packapunch-cables-for-sega-consoles

and

https://retro-access.com/collection...-video-sync-version?variant=47709017363&aff=3

If you want component output I've had success/it should work with the hdretrovision cables.

Both work fine, however if you want the best quality in my opinion I suggest the packapunch ones.

--------

Hopefully that's all clear now!

Last edited:
All good.

I believe retro accessories was the one I referred to earlier. I have a few of her cables but was disappointed with cheap caps being used for the price I paid. This was a few years ago however, seems she now uses Nichicon or Rubycon caps nowadays.

I bought some cables from her recently (https://retro-access.com/) Haven't opened it up to check it out but a tad on the pricier side.

I guess this is the cable you recommend? Packa punch

They don't seem to sell a regular standard one for mega drive for those looking at saving a few bucks though.

Last edited:
That's the one. I think they are slowly transitioning all cables to the packapunch style. They usually have coupons to get discounts from 10% upwards.

I agree, it's expensive but you're getting what you pay for. The cable is of the highest quality in every regard. I'd rather buy a cable at a price that's proportionate to it's quality. I've purchased cables elsewhere that were quite expensive yet very poorly made.

On a side note, I altered the composite video circuit and added a couple of components which has resulted in great quality output and eliminated the need for an adjustment trimmer. Pretty excited by this.

I bought some cables from her recently (https://retro-access.com/) Haven't opened it up to check it out but a tad on the pricier side.

I guess this is the cable you recommend? Packa punch

They don't seem to sell a regular standard one for mega drive for those looking at saving a few bucks though.
Had some bad luck with cables from Retro Access, one of them even blew a fuse. Can't and won't recommend you use their cables at all.

On the other hand, the RGC (retrogamingcables.co.uk) ones are top notch. The Packa Punch range is quite a bit more expensive compared to their old cables, but honestly it's worth the extra dosh.

Like Frank said, I think they're clearing out their old standard inventory and moving straight to the Packa Punch range. Buying RGB related stuff can be expensive, but like they say, if buy the good stuff and you'll only have to buy it once.

Might take you 10 minutes to order from the 2 major places, seems you already have one so that's 5 minutes, 10 minutes to test it works fine. 5 minutes to make a few lines of text saying that this cable <link> works great. 20mins over 2 separate days ezpz job's done!
Sounds like you just volunteered to be a cable tester, we all appreciate it :D

Sounds like you just volunteered to be a cable tester, we all appreciate it :D
when i was in the navy it was sop to self volunteer when you suggested "someone" do something

Update re the Mega Drive controller adapter, we now have autofire. Hold start plus button of choice for one second to activate, same procedure to disable. Can enable any of the 6 buttons, individually or multiples at once.

Had some bad luck with cables from Retro Access, one of them even blew a fuse. Can't and won't recommend you use their cables at all.
On the other hand, the RGC (retrogamingcables.co.uk) ones are top notch. The Packa Punch range is quite a bit more expensive compared to their old cables, but honestly it's worth the extra dosh.

Like Frank said, I think they're clearing out their old standard inventory and moving straight to the Packa Punch range. Buying RGB related stuff can be expensive, but like they say, if buy the good stuff and you'll only have to buy it once.
Hmm ok that sucks to hear, Wish I'd known this previously and bought from the UK guys.

Thing is everyone around seems to say she does good cables? I havent had any issues using these cables at this stage so cant say if they are good or bad. My only issue is configuring the OSSC so I can get a good picture without any blurriness.

I can only go by the cables I purchased from her a few years ago, but they weren't great. Certainly not the worst I've seen but far from the best. Could be an entirely different story nowadays, she may have improved.

These are the cables I purchased.

The one on the left is the NES RGB and the right is the PS1/2 version. I only opened up the PS1 cable.

rjT645mh.jpg

I opened it up to take a look at it for here.

mwf2NCyh.jpg

I did see the caps are rubicon caps.

Pic of each side

3eyEOIAh.jpg

BZiKlcNh.jpg

I did also receive a couple of extra strands of what looks like white cat hair along with my order for no extra charge. :P

They look okay. Not easy cramming all that stuff inside a scart housing.

I prefer the PCB approach though, much neater. I actually have my own PCB design for a scart plug but haven't gotten around to fabricating it.

Attachments

• PS1 SCART.png
    PS1 SCART.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 208
Might work on Saturn at some point. Anyone know of a source of PCB mount Saturn controller connectors, or do I need to resort to harvesting them from controller extension cables?
I don't know where you would get these but it would be super cool if you could provide Saturn support with this.

Anyone have any ideas to find these?

I can sort out the code and PCB etc. For now I've ordered a Saturn controller extension cable from Aliexpress so will see if I can salvage the connector from that and find a way to mount it to a PCB. Otherwise I can just wire it to the PCB, as in have a length of cable coming from the PCB with the connector on the end.

Looks like my only option is to harvest from controller extension cables. Not a preferred option as I wouldn't say they're cheap, and it's not the most robust or attractive option, but what else can I do?

Unless I can create something myself. Would either need to use a thicker PCB or do some clever design and create a fold so I can overlap creating double thickness. Either that or place the pads on the main PCB and produce a separate PCB that I surface mount on top.

P.S. not had any issues with the Mega Drive DB9 connectors. They fit perfectly and the metal shroud doesn't shred the plastic of the controller plug.

P.P.S. Easy to find aftermarket connectors for NES and SNES.

Thanks for reaching out!

Back